Hockey History: Who was better than Crosby?

Please vote for the players who were better than Sidney Crosby.

• Wayne Gretzky

Votes: 288 99.3%
  • Gordie Howe

Votes: 234 80.7%
  • Bobby Orr

Votes: 275 94.8%
  • Mario Lemieux

Votes: 286 98.6%
  • Bobby Hull

Votes: 53 18.3%
  • Jean Beliveau

Votes: 51 17.6%
  • Patrick Roy

Votes: 51 17.6%
  • Doug Harvey

Votes: 30 10.3%
  • Maurice Richard

Votes: 45 15.5%
  • Ray Bourque

Votes: 56 19.3%
  • Howie Morenz

Votes: 22 7.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GRob83

Feb 3, 2010
Why include a goaltender in a poll about Crosby? I'd comfortably say that 100% of fans would say Roy and Hasek are both in the Top 4 of goalies of all time, and 100% of non-biased Penguins fans would agree that Crosby is outside the Top 4 of forwards so by that logic, Roy>Crosby

Reactions: Hawkman

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Pretty sure the 10 listed are the Top 10 according to the HOH poll from a couple years ago - don't think the names were pulled randomly.

Ah, that makes sense for why it's such a terrible list. The nutty little cabal in the history forum has some outlandish opinions. One of their highly respected regulars thinks Getzlaf has been a better player than Ovechkin.

Another highly respected history forum regular had Wayne Gretzky ranked 7th all time.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Like Ovie does it really matter????To be mentioned among that group means you are one of the very best

Reactions: Hawkman

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Crosby is obviously behind Orr, Gretzky, Lemieux, and Howe. After that you can make a case that he's above everyone else. At the very least he's right in that group of players jockeying for the fifth spot. I'd put Hasek fifth but in my eyes Crosby would get picked soon after.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Why include a goaltender in a poll about Crosby? I'd comfortably say that 100% of fans would say Roy and Hasek are both in the Top 4 of goalies of all time, and 100% of non-biased Penguins fans would agree that Crosby is outside the Top 4 of forwards so by that logic, Roy>Crosby

Who are the four forwards?

J bo Jeans

Aug 7, 2020
Ottawa
We don't seriously think Howe was a "better" player than Crosby right? Is he a "greater" player? Probably. But it terms of being better at the sport of hockey? No.

GRob83

Feb 3, 2010
Who are the four forwards?

It depends how you look at it. I think Center's are more likely to accumulate point's in bunches so even though Gretzky and Lemieux are obvious choices i'd lean towards including some wingers in the top 4. Richard (14 straight 1st or 2nd All-Star selections) Ovechkin (More Pearson wins, More Hart wins, way more Richard wins and total goals than Crosby). Then there's Jagr who was the most dominant player of the 90's/2000's including the dead puck era though he never led the league in goals. And then there's Gordie Howe who was a 21 time all star and 6 time Hart trophy winner.

So basically i'd choose the 2 best centers, the best right wing and the best left wing. Crosby has missed too much time in his career IMO.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Ah, that makes sense for why it's such a terrible list. The nutty little cabal in the history forum has some outlandish opinions. One of their highly respected regulars thinks Getzlaf has been a better player than Ovechkin.

Another highly respected history forum regular had Wayne Gretzky ranked 7th all time.

I think that happened so they could get Orr #1.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Top 4 are the only arguement...If McDavid continues his career with the same consistency then he could pass him. But imo there is no one else currently in the league ahead of him

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
It depends how you look at it. I think Center's are more likely to accumulate point's in bunches so even though Gretzky and Lemieux are obvious choices i'd lean towards including some wingers in the top 4. Richard (14 straight 1st or 2nd All-Star selections) Ovechkin (More Pearson wins, More Hart wins, way more Richard wins and total goals than Crosby). Then there's Jagr who was the most dominant player of the 90's/2000's including the dead puck era though he never led the league in goals. And then there's Gordie Howe who was a 21 time all star and 6 time Hart trophy winner.

So basically i'd choose the 2 best centers, the best right wing and the best left wing. Crosby has missed too much time in his career IMO.

Using your metrics:

He has played more games than Mario. If he plays literally 50 more games in his career at some key times, he has 3 more Art Rosses/Harts/Lindsays.

He has more Hart wins than Jagr and Richard.

He has as many Lindsays as OV and barely lost a Hart to OV due to a slapshot to the face.

Comparing All Star selections from a six team league to a thirty team league makes no sense. are meaningless

Crosby was objectively better than OV in many of OV's seasons he won the Richard based on Hart voting

Reactions: Dominance

GRob83

Feb 3, 2010
Using your metrics:

He has played more games than Mario. If he plays literally 50 more games in his career at some key times, he has 3 more Art Rosses/Harts/Lindsays.

He has more Hart wins than Jagr and Richard.

He has as many Lindsays as OV and barely lost a Hart to OV due to a slapshot to the face.

Comparing All Star selections from a six team league to a thirty team league makes no sense. are meaningless

Crosby was objectively better than OV in many of OV's seasons he won the Richard based on Hart voting

I think the point would be that there is no argument to be made that makes Crosby a better player than Gretzky or Lemieux. Ovechkin is the best LW and best goal-scorer EVER. And 1 of either Jagr, Howe or Richard is the best RW of all-time. Crosby is a fantastic player but he's not in the Top 4 for me.

TheGuiminator

I’ll be damned King, I’ll be damned
Oct 23, 2018
Crosby would be the clear cut #5 had he stayed healthy during his peak (2010-13), instead he's a marginal top 5 as of right now.

Reactions: GRob83

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Obviously took the 4 but for the life of me I can't figure out why you shoehorned the 3rd best goalie onto the list

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

So by that same logic, one of Roy and Hasek is a top 4 player of all time?

Reactions: GRob83

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
I think the point would be that there is no argument to be made that makes Crosby a better player than Gretzky or Lemieux. Ovechkin is the best LW and best goal-scorer EVER. And 1 of either Jagr, Howe or Richard is the best RW of all-time. Crosby is a fantastic player but he's not in the Top 4 for me.

Seems strange to pick Wayne and Mario over Crosby using different metrics than ones you would apply to pick a winger over Crosby.

GRob83

Feb 3, 2010
Seems strange to pick Wayne and Mario over Crosby using different metrics than ones you would apply to pick a winger over Crosby.

So i'm wrong for picking the best wingers of all time over the 3rd or 4th best center of all time?

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
So i'm wrong for picking the best wingers of all time over the 3rd or 4th best center of all time?

Yes. Just pick the best players/forwards, period. We aren't picking a historical all-star team.

My main point was the cherrypicking of metrics to argue players over Crosby when you could use those same metrics to argue for Crosby.

Last edited:
Reactions: sanscosm

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
Personally, I have him at 5th, but it's perfectly debatable to have him anywhere between 5-10 right now. Assuming he plays until 40 and finishes his career with 600+ goals and 1600+ points, you'd have to just hate the guy not to pencil him in at 5th.

I don't think there's anything he can realistically do to crack the top 4 at this point, if he wasn't injured during his peak he might've had a chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad