Hockey Countries compared to Soccer Countries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Frolov 6'3 said:
I've come out of retirement to ask what kind of nonsense is this ?

All the players are born in The Netherlands and are Dutch citizens. You have obviously no clue what you're talking about.

Im not sure thats right - Seedorf and Davids are both from Surinam I believe.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
dangler19 said:
Canada = France (True Powerhouses)
Russia = Brazil (Skilled teams, always top contenders)
Sweden = Netherlands (Often favorites, rarely winners)
Czech = Spain (Great all-around teams always on the verge of championships)
Usa = Germany (Fading from their glory years)
Finland = England (Lots of spirit just not enough skill)
Slovakia = Portugal (Flamboyant teams who aren't quite with the big boys)
Germany = Bolivia (No chance)

Love 'm.. but how about Italy?

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
How about Canada = France + Italy combined. That could be more accurate in terms of Canada's standing, depth and history.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Stevex said:
Im not sure thats right - Seedorf and Davids are both from Surinam I believe.

Edgar Davids was born in Paramaribo and moved to Amsterdam
with his parents when he was a year and a half. Seedorf was born in Amsterdam.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Must be thinking of Kluivert or someone else.. I just googled Seedorf and all his profiles say he was born in Surinam like Davids. Not all the Dutch players were born in Holland. Most countries have a player or two like that anyways. Hargreaves, Deco etc..

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Stevex said:
Must be thinking of Kluivert or someone else.. I just googled Seedorf and all his profiles say he was born in Surinam like Davids. Not all the Dutch players were born in Holland. Most countries have a player or two like that anyways. Hargreaves, Deco etc..

Almost all his profiles say he was born in Amsterdam, so I'm curious which profiles you've seen. Besides, what's the difference if he was born in Paramaribo or Amsterdam ? John van het Schip was born in Canada, should we consider him Canadian.

You can't compare players like Deco and Olisadebe with Davids or Seedorf. Deco is 100% brasilian but has acquired Portuguese citizenship. The same can be said of Olisadebe with Poland.

DutchLeafsfan

Jun 3, 2002
Rotterdam, NL
www.gamer.nl
While quite a few Dutch players also have parents from Surinam, all of them either were born or grew up in Holland. (keep in mind btw that at the time their parents moved here Surinam was still a part of the Netherlands) They are as Dutch as any other person in our country. The same can be said about quite a few French players, to give an example.

On the other hand there is a bunch of players who grew up and often reached adulthood in one country, only to change nationality to play for another country. Examples would be Josip Weber, Olaf Marshall, Emanuel Olisadebo, Deco, to name a few.

Norseman

May 28, 2002
Norway
Tronador said:
Thats true, Ibrahimovic(Sweden), John Carew(Norway), Catanha(Spain), Olisadebe(Poland),Mpenza-brothers(Belgium) etc....

John Carew is born in Norway. He has a father from Gambia, but his mom is norwegian.

But Hassan El-Fakiri is born in Marocco and Pah Modou-Kah is born in Gambia.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Frolov 6'3 said:
Almost all his profiles say he was born in Amsterdam, so I'm curious which profiles you've seen. Besides, what's the difference if he was born in Paramaribo or Amsterdam ? John van het Schip was born in Canada, should we consider him Canadian.

You can't compare players like Deco and Olisadebe with Davids or Seedorf. Deco is 100% brasilian but has acquired Portuguese citizenship. The same can be said of Olisadebe with Poland.

Just type in: "Clarence Seedorf" born

No difference IMO.. just ironic in a post of yours telling someone they didnt know what they were talking about.

DLF - Seedorf apparently was born after Surinam gained independence in 1975.

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
DutchLeafsfan said:
On the other hand there is a bunch of players who grew up and often reached adulthood in one country, only to change nationality to play for another country. Examples would be Josip Weber, Olaf Marshall, Emanuel Olisadebo, Deco, to name a few.
Olaf Marschall ? Which country did he play for beside his native Germany ?

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
Tronador said:
Thats true, Ibrahimovic(Sweden), John Carew(Norway), Catanha(Spain), Olisadebe(Poland),Mpenza-brothers(Belgium) etc....
Ibrahimovic was born in Sweden, Carew in Norway and the younger of the two M'penza brothers was born in Brussels...

DutchLeafsfan

Jun 3, 2002
Rotterdam, NL
www.gamer.nl
Stevex said:

The KNVB site has him born in Amsterdam, AC Milan states Paramaribo, so it appears impossible to establish this using internet as a source.

Not that all these rather technicalities-like discussions are relevant in any way. There is still the difference between a person having grown up in a certain country and a person changing nationaility after reaching adulthood, generally because he plays in a certain country.

As for MArshall, I think I messed his name up with another guy who was born and raised in South Africa, became top scorer in the Bunderliga and then changed nationality to play for the Mannschaft.

n00dles

Dec 13, 2003
Germany
Visit site
DutchLeafsfan said:
As for MArshall, I think I messed his name up with another guy who was born and raised in South Africa, became top scorer in the Bunderliga and then changed nationality to play for the Mannschaft.
Then it's Sean Dundee.
Oh, what glory he brought to our national team...

Jungle Boy

Feb 12, 2003
Recife, Brazil
There are a lot of emigrants all over the world. it happens for all the reasons (war, money, etc). I was a exchange student near LA (98-99) and I opted to attend Hollywood High (bad choice!) over there I thnik that 70% of the students were imigrants (latinos, russians, armenians, southeast asians) but they lived like americans, payed taxes like every other american, learned american culture. So guys like this could choose to represent USA (because he lives there), Armenia (because he was born there) and lets suppose that this fellow parents were from Ukraine, he could also play for Ukraine. This is based on International Laws. If a british couple has a child in Brazil, the kid is Britsh AND Brazilian if they go to Argentina and live 18 years over there he can be an argentinean too.
About the Netherlands case, Suriname has great bounds, it's one of the 3 countries (the others being Guiana and French Guiana) that we learn at school that they are part of south america only phisically, those three countries are very dependable on the countries that they were colonies.
To finish it, Kariya, Gretzky, Iginla, etc are all son of imigrants. Rob Regehr was born at the same city that I was born and live now. And all those guys are stars playing for team Canada.
P.S. I know that there are a few cases that doesn't make sense (Deco maybe one, although he has a Portuguese heritage) but most of the cases exposed here are commom.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Stevex said:

No difference IMO.. just ironic in a post of yours telling someone they didnt know what they were talking about.

Yes and he didn't.

Born in Surinam, The Netherlands or Timboektoe..what does it matter. The point is, what DLF already stated, there's a difference with changing nationality or to grow up in a specific country. People compare Olisadebe and Deco with our Suri boys, that's totally ridiculous. So there wasn't any irony in my post or whatsoever, he acted like they were foreigners.

InstantFunk

Jul 18, 2003
Boulder, CO
Visit site
beckis said:
hmm well the only way i see the US make a great impact is if either they work with the leagues in europe or ... hmm they do as it is in the other sports hockey/basketball/baseball and create a league that has the best players ......

i think they should try and work something out like the UEFA championships they need to play the best team/players or they wont get any much better ......

its been tryed before .... ala the 70:s and they got pele and a few others .... hmmm they went over to get some "easy" money ..... in the end of their careers ...

anyway ... hoping for some improvement for you guys :yo:

Couple of things:

As for starting some kind of UEFA like competition that the US club teams are involved in, I think they need to start by playing teams in Mexico, Latin America and work their way south to the South American leagues. I think that a more reasonable goal for a US club team would be to compete in something like the Copa Libertadores, rather than the UEFA cup. Eventually (maybe 15-20 years?) I could imagine an MLS team in a UEFA cup, given that everything goes as planned for the MLS.

As for getting foreign players that are past their prime to play in the league...you're right in that it's been done before, and that it's still going on. I'd actually like to see less of this, thus clearing up room for younger American players to get into the league.

I will admit that the MLS plans are extremely long term. By no means do I expect an MLS team to even compete anywhere near the top club teams in the world in the near future. To a certain extent, the MLS is pretty unwatchable compared to leagues like the Premiership. What I'm really trying to get at is that a strong, competitive MLS is a big key to the improvement and eventual solidification of the US national team as a world power.

Despite a lingering mainstream bias against soccer in the US, there are quite a few people that would love to see the US compete on a world scale. The last world cup was very gratifying for US soccer fans, and we want that to continue.

beckis

Jun 3, 2004
sweden
the US can make a league work ...... the only thing that is needed ... is money .....

the only reason hockey players play in the nhl is the money ... and the money got the best players ......

if you can get enough "young" good players over ... and get good games ..... more money .... more "good" players ...... and so on .....

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
no more soccer talk here please. If you wish to discuss origins of soccer players etc go to the "Other sports" - board. But do continue comparing soccer nations to hockey nations, if that is still interesting.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Predatore said:
no more soccer talk here please. If you wish to discuss origins of soccer players etc go to the "Other sports" - board. But do continue comparing soccer nations to hockey nations, if that is still interesting.

I had to clear up an argument, I can't devide this thread in two parts and bring the other part to the "Other sports" board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad