Hockey Countries compared to Soccer Countries

Status
Not open for further replies.

tony2532

Jun 3, 2004
Sault Ste. Marie, On
I thought it would be fun to compare the top Hockey countries to the top soccer/football countries in terms of playing style, level of success, etc.

I'm not a big soccer fan but I always watch the world cup.

Here is my take.

Canada = Germany or Italy - Germany and Italy are always in contention and have a long tradition in the sport. I thought about saying England but they never win :) .

Russia = Brazil - Brazil is known for its flashy players and Russia produces a lot of talented forwards.

Sweden = Netherlands - they have some very talented players and are always in contention, but usually fall short.

Czech Republic = Argentina ? - talented teams that always have a shot.

USA = France - this was a tough one. I was trying to think of a soccer country with a large populate that has improved quite a bit recently. I'm not sure Americans would like to be compared to France :D .

Finland = Denmark ? - a team that can beat anyone but not a threat to win it all.

Any thoughts?

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
hehe this is a weird topic and a bit off-topic. I'll let it be for now :)

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
tony2532 said:
I thought it would be fun to compare the top Hockey countries to the top soccer/football countries in terms of playing style, level of success, etc.

Here is my take.

Canada = Germany or Italy - Germany and Italy are always in contention and have a long tradition in the sport. I thought about saying England but they never win :) .

Russia = Brazil - Brazil is known for its flashy players and Russia produces a lot of talented forwards.

Sweden = Netherlands - they have some very talented players and are always in contention, but usually fall short.

USA = France - this was a tough one. I was trying to think of a soccer country with a large populate that has improved quite a bit recently. I'm not sure Americans would like to be compared to France :D .

Finland = Denmark ? - a team that can beat anyone but not a threat to win it all.

Any thoughts?

good comparisons for most part! canada is a lot like germany, tough goalies, tough players, great dmen.
russia is brazil...RONALDO IS KOVALCHUK!
Sweden and netherlands is a perfect comparison, both too talented to not win more tournaments.
czechs and argentina is good,both teams are talented yet tough to deal with...CRESPO is LANG!
U.S. and FRANCE! piss off those americans! but to be honest, not a close comparison...U.S. does not have a ZIDANE or HENRY. i'd compare U.S. to Italy, both talented but not too talented...with great balance and good D
FINLAND and denmark is not bad...both underestimated

Slime

Mar 30, 2003
Sweden
tony2532 said:

:lol: Finnish hockey ain't that bad! Denmark is hardly a top 30 soccer nation in the world. You could at least have put Portugal or the Czech Rep there instead of Denmark...

If you wanna have Can as Ger/Ita, Rus as Brazil, then I would put Swe as Spain (massive talent but Spain has never won anything) and Finland would have been compared to Holland...
(the Slovaks would be Portugal, and the super power in icehockey, Germany, could be your Denmark... :D )

Yes it's a weird thread since the soccer world is about 5 times bigger than the tiny hockey world.

Magick93

Mar 4, 2004
Canada would have to be the Brazil of hockey. :bow: In best on best tournaments, both have won considerably more than their closest rivals. (Brazil 5 World Cups, Canada 4 Canada Cups & an Olympics with professionals) Both have skilled players but can also work as a team and be physically intimidating.

But at least Canadian hockey fans don't jump off stadiums when they lose.

In soccer Germany is always very disciplined, like the old Soviet hockey teams (but unlike the new teams of skilled Russians who seem to lack the desire to work as a team). :teach:

Jungle Boy

Feb 12, 2003
Recife, Brazil
Hockey and soccer are the 2 sports that I like the most, so let me help you with this:

Canada = Brazil, both teams always have a great team and some great players are still left behind (see Canada world cup roster), both had the greatest player of all time (Gretzky and Pele)

Sweden = England, has won some very important titles but "talented teams that always have a shot, but usually fall short."

Russia = Argetina, very talented players, altough the Russians are more consistent while playing champinoships.

USA = France, great comparasion

Czech Republic = Italy, talented teams that always have a shot and they both produce great goalies, altough the Italian´s very defensive minded mentality doesn´t help the comparasion.

Finland = Netherlands, same reason.

Slovakia (hockey) = Sweden (soccer) they always have a good team comparing to the rest but are no match to the big boys.

Germany (hockey) = USA (soccer) both teams are developing very well based on their great sports tradition

AEKaki

2forsbergaura1 said:
good comparisons for most part! canada is a lot like germany, tough goalies, tough players, great dmen.
russia is brazil...RONALDO IS KOVALCHUK!
Sweden and netherlands is a perfect comparison, both too talented to not win more tournaments.
czechs and argentina is good,both teams are talented yet tough to deal with...CRESPO is LANG!
U.S. and FRANCE! piss off those americans! but to be honest, not a close comparison...U.S. does not have a ZIDANE or HENRY. i'd compare U.S. to Italy, both talented but not too talented...with great balance and good D
FINLAND and denmark is not bad...both underestimated

Crespo is good... Lang isn't. Crespo is more like a Forsberg.
Czechs of hockey are the Czechs of Soccer. They're both good.

I'd compare US to France. Too many non-french players play for France and Hull plays for the US. Finland is like Croatia. One year they're good, one year they're not.

Brazil = Russia... Best comparison. Kovalchuk = Ronaldo, Kovalev = Ronaldhino, Gonchar = Roberto Carlos, ...

Slime

Mar 30, 2003
Sweden
Jungle Boy said:
Czech Republic = Italy, talented teams that always have a shot and they both produce great goalies, altough the Italian´s very defensive minded mentality doesn´t help the comparasion.

Uhm...what? No matter how good their team is the Czechs always play very defensive, relying on their famous counter attacks.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
Jungle Boy said:
Sweden = England, has won some very important titles but "talented teams that always have a shot, but usually fall short."

Slovakia (hockey) = Sweden (soccer) they always have a good team comparing to the rest but are no match to the big boys.

OK, I was trying to stay out of this weird weird thread but I just can't. England has won one title. Ever. England has very few players that compare to the best in the other "great" nations teams. Are swedish players that bad that you compare Markus Näslund with some english pitbull-looking cross country runner with two left feet?

Slovakia ain't Sweden (soccer). Slovakia has lots of very talented ice hockey players, and plays very imaginative hockey. Team sweden play robotic soccer and lack very much individual skill except for a few gifted players that mostly are stuck on the bench anyway.

Slime

Mar 30, 2003
Sweden
In terms of overall player material of respective country, overall "strength":
Canada index 100
Russia 40
Czechs 40
Sweden 35
USA 35
Finland 25
Slovaks 20
Germany 3

Please consider that not only each country's NHL representation is reflected here, big factors are also the player base in the national leagues and the junior champs.

In the soccer world it would be something like this:
Brazil 100
France 80
Italy 65
Spain 60
Germany 55
Argentina 50
England 45
Holland 40
Portugal 25
Czech rep 20
Sweden 17
Russia 14
Denmark 14
Finland 7
Slovakia 6
USA 5
Canada 2

VAN-HAB

Vancouver Habitant
Sep 3, 2003
West Kelowna
tony2532 said:

Here is my take.

Any thoughts?
all good i would compare Sweden to England though and Finland to Spain.

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
Please don't insult Brazil by saying Canada in the same breath. Brazil wins while playing beautiful football. Canada wins by dumping the puck and crashing the net.

Canada is definitely Germany. Nothing pretty but it gets the job done.

Jungle Boy

Feb 12, 2003
Recife, Brazil
Riddarn said:
OK, I was trying to stay out of this weird weird thread but I just can't. England has won one title. Ever. England has very few players that compare to the best in the other "great" nations teams. Are swedish players that bad that you compare Markus Näslund with some english pitbull-looking cross country runner with two left feet?

Slovakia ain't Sweden (soccer). Slovakia has lots of very talented ice hockey players, and plays very imaginative hockey. Team sweden play robotic soccer and lack very much individual skill except for a few gifted players that mostly are stuck on the bench anyway.

This thread is weird, but if you see the reports on the czech prospects in the Czech page you will se that most of them play soccer during the summer, Petr Fosberg hurted his foot last season playing soccer, I'm just trying to say that those two Sports have something in common (I'm not sure but maybe those are the only ones that can finish with a tie)

England has had some great players Bob Moore, Bob Charlton, Paul Ince, Paul Gascoine, Michael Owen, Alan Searer, Ted Sherigan, Barbie..., I mean David Beckham. So I don't think that comparasion isn't too far off.
Solovakia could be compared with Portugal, but Slovakia hockey is stronger and has more traditon than Portugal soccer.

Macman

May 15, 2004
Ottawa Buoy said:
Please don't insult Brazil by saying Canada in the same breath. Brazil wins while playing beautiful football. Canada wins by dumping the puck and crashing the net.

Yeah, I hate those untalented Canadian dump-and-chasers like Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr, Coffey, Sakic, Kariya, Bobby Hull, Belliveau, Keon, Gartner, Messier, Hawerchuk, Dionne, Sittler, Nash, Niedermayer, Lafleur ...

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
I am not sure which team compares more to the USA, the Netherlands or England. The Dutch had no doubt the better talent, and they still do, but England has some older players, and some questionable positions that compare more to the Americans. Both team's have won one major tournament if I am not mistaken, but the Dutch have gone deeper on a lot more occasions.

BAuldie

Apr 5, 2004
Nanaimo, B.C.
Ottawa Buoy said:

Canada also doesn't flop and dive everywhere like Brazil.. certainly don't compare.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
Jungle Boy said:
This thread is weird, but if you see the reports on the czech prospects in the Czech page you will se that most of them play soccer during the summer, Petr Fosberg hurted his foot last season playing soccer, I'm just trying to say that those two Sports have something in common (I'm not sure but maybe those are the only ones that can finish with a tie)

England has had some great players Bob Moore, Bob Charlton, Paul Ince, Paul Gascoine, Michael Owen, Alan Searer, Ted Sherigan, Barbie..., I mean David Beckham. So I don't think that comparasion isn't too far off.
Solovakia could be compared with Portugal, but Slovakia hockey is stronger and has more traditon than Portugal soccer.

Those english soccer player are pretty good. But english soccer players are in general greatly over rated. Especially when it comes to individual talent. Also, there is no such thing as an innovative english coach. As inventors of the game of the game the international history of English soccer is pretty darn sad. For example, they haven't beaten sweden since the early '70s.

Don't get me wrong, English and Brittish soccer Culture is great, but a the Game of soccer played on the islands is a bit over rated.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Slime said:
Canada index 100
Russia 40
Czechs 40
Sweden 35
USA 35
Finland 25
Slovaks 20
Germany 3

Please consider that not only each country's NHL representation is reflected here, big factors are also the player base in the national leagues and the junior champs.

Brazil 100
France 80
Italy 65
Spain 60
Germany 55
Argentina 50
England 45
Holland 40
Portugal 25
Czech rep 20
Sweden 17
Russia 14
Denmark 14
Finland 7
Slovakia 6
USA 5
Canada 2

I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to say here, especially when it comes to soccer. Are you saying the U.S. is worse than Finland in soccer or what? :help:

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Slime said:
Canada index 100
Russia 40
Czechs 40
Sweden 35
USA 35
Finland 25
Slovaks 20
Germany 3

Brazil 100
France 80
Italy 65
Spain 60
Germany 55
Argentina 50
England 45
Holland 40
Portugal 25
Czech rep 20
Sweden 17
Russia 14
Denmark 14
Finland 7
Slovakia 6
USA 5
Canada 2

:lol:

Wow was that ever an awful attempt.

Sampe

Feb 27, 2002
Vantaa
I'd compare Finland in hockey to England in soccer. Hockey is huge in Finland and soccer is huge in England, yet both teams have only won one championship. Both teams are also considered one of the big soccer/hockey countries (yet are clearly behind the very best) and their players known for their good attitude and hard work.

Slime

Mar 30, 2003
Sweden
Rabid Ranger said:
I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to say here, especially when it comes to soccer. Are you saying the U.S. is worse than Finland in soccer or what? :help:

Well, yes they are (or about equal), but that wasn't the point with the list. I tried to show that soccer countries like Denmark and Croatia are on a much lower level than Finland is in ice hockey. The big top 7 in hockey should be compared to the best 10 soccer nations.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Slime said:
Well, yes they are (or about equal), but that wasn't the point with the list. I tried to show that soccer countries like Denmark and Croatia are on a much lower level than Finland is in ice hockey. The big top 7 in hockey should be compared to the best 10 soccer nations.

Since the U.S. is ranked in the top eight in both soccer (8th) and hockey(6th) (by FIFA and the IIHF respectively), that shouldn't be too hard. I know these rankings are up for debate, but still.

Sampe

Feb 27, 2002
Vantaa
Some player comparisons, while we're at it:

Gretzky = Pelé (greatest career ever)
Lemieux = Diego Maradona (most talented player ever)
Orr = Franz Beckenbauer (defenders who changed the game)
Howe = Alfredo Di Stefano (legends who could do it all and played for ages)
Jagr = Zinedine Zidane (best player in the world for the past 5-10 years)
Lindros = Ronaldo (most talented and hyped players of the current generation, careers 'spoiled' by injuries)

I can't think of a hockey player to compare to Johan Cruyff; someone sublimely skilled and incredibly versatile. Kharlamov had the skill but lacked the versatility. Any help here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad