Hockey Countries compared to Soccer Countries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
Not only are Bobic, Klose and Podolski German, Kevin Kuranyi is one, too.
Just because your name doesn't sound German, doesn't mean that you are of foreign origin.
Neither my first name, nor my surname are German, but I don't have ancestors of foreign origin in the last few generations.

Kuranyi is the only one who could have played for another country (Brazil), but as he is more German than Brazilian, he decided to play for Germany.

Asamoah and Neuville are two players who are not typically German, but they don't play for Germany any more (at least not now).

Jungle Boy

Feb 12, 2003
Recife, Brazil
Digger said:
I'm sorry but your posts really suck. If the Germans are so bad than please tell me, why has Germany won 4 WC's und 4 EC's ???
The Germans might not be Brazillians but if they had no skills they wouldn't be that successfull. For german players the most important thing is discipline, fighting and team spirit. Like it or not but thats the only way to be successfull. The Dutch players might be more skilled but they will never win a world cup!
By the way, how many of your so skilled players are real dutch players and how many are from overseas?
4 WC???????? I think you are mistaken, the germans have only won 3

popperbolt*

Canada = France
Russia = England
Czech Republic = Spain
Finland = the Netherlands
Sweden = Italy
USA = Portugal
Slovakia = Czech Republic ( :joker: )
Germany = Germany

in that order.. (europe countries only)

Tronador

Nov 13, 2003
Berlin
Visit site
Slime said:
Uhm... Lewandowski really doesn't sound german to me. Could you explain how it can be a german name (and are there more examples like this?). :)

Btw, are there a lot of Reichels in germany?
Yes, there are several examples like Borowski(Werder Bremen,soccer),Kutowski(former Dortmund-player), Leciejewski, Czajka(both player of the Berlin Capitals and Germans)....

Robert Schnabel, Milan Kraft, Marek Heinz(soccer),Richard Hartmann(Skalica,Slovakia), JOSEF Beranek, Richard Lintner, Josef Stümpel, Roman Kukumberg, David Appel, Jan Dresler, Martin Falter, Jan Fink, Ladislav Gengel, Jakub Kindl, Petr Mainer, Radek Philipp, Martin Richter etc. are also czech citizen with German names.

Tronador

Nov 13, 2003
Berlin
Visit site
Sanderson said:
Not only are Bobic, Klose and Podolski German, Kevin Kuranyi is one, too.
Just because your name doesn't sound German, doesn't mean that you are of foreign origin.
Neither my first name, nor my surname are German, but I don't have ancestors of foreign origin in the last few generations.

Kuranyi is the only one who could have played for another country (Brazil), but as he is more German than Brazilian, he decided to play for Germany.

Asamoah and Neuville are two players who are not typically German, but they don't play for Germany any more (at least not now).
it was, i think, also mentioned that Kuranyi could also play for Hungary!!??? :help:

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Digger said:
By the way, how many of your so skilled players are real dutch players and how many are from overseas?

I've come out of retirement to ask what kind of nonsense is this ?

All the players are born in The Netherlands and are Dutch citizens. You have obviously no clue what you're talking about.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Dr.HelmutKohl said:
But I highly agree to the italic phrase. Cruyff is surely the best soccer player ever from the Netherlands, but to place him in the top5 worldwide is ridiculous.

Say Helmut, go watch some soccer.

Appearances are against me because I'm dutch, I'm aware of that, but to say you can't put Cruijff in the top5 is even more ridiculous.

kovalchuk17atl

Apr 22, 2004
Slime said:
Uhm... Lewandowski really doesn't sound german to me. Could you explain how it can be a german name (and are there more examples like this?). :)

German names usually have Ks somewhere, Zs somewhere, and/or Ski at the end.

Slime

Mar 30, 2003
Sweden
Tronador said:
Yes, there are several examples like Borowski(Werder Bremen,soccer),Kutowski(former Dortmund-player), Leciejewski, Czajka(both player of the Berlin Capitals and Germans)....

But do these names have a polish background? Like 50 or 100 years back in time. Have these names been "germanized" during the years?

Tronador said:
Robert Schnabel, Milan Kraft, Marek Heinz(soccer),Richard Hartmann(Skalica,Slovakia), JOSEF Beranek, Richard Lintner, Josef Stümpel, Roman Kukumberg, David Appel, Jan Dresler, Martin Falter, Jan Fink, Ladislav Gengel, Jakub Kindl, Petr Mainer, Radek Philipp, Martin Richter etc. are also czech citizen with German names.

Woh.. that was a lot of examples. :handclap: I didn't realize the people of Germany/Czech were so much integrated.

I guess you learn something new every day. :)

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Cruijff is on the same level as Pele and Maradona.

I really don't understand why we should prefer Pele and Maradona over Johan. There's nothing both players had what Cruijff couldn't do, if you can then tell me, I'm curious.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Digger said:
The Czechs in Hockey are pretty much like the Netherlands in soccer. Both have very good, very skilled players and are often exciting to watch but aren't as successfull as the Top-Nations

To stay on topic, I agree with this one.

Digger

Mar 11, 2003
Cowtown
Visit site
A little Info: About one million people from Poland immigrated to germany from the late 19th till early 20th century. Most of them went to the "Ruhrgebiet", which is a part of western germany. The Ruhrgebiet is also well known for soccer clubs like Borussia Dortmund, Schalke 04, Borussia Mönchengladbach ect.
Thats the reason why so many people here have polish names!

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon
Canada = France (True Powerhouses)
Russia = Brazil (Skilled teams, always top contenders)
Sweden = Netherlands (Often favorites, rarely winners)
Czech = Spain (Great all-around teams always on the verge of championships)
Usa = Germany (Fading from their glory years)
Finland = England (Lots of spirit just not enough skill)
Slovakia = Portugal (Flamboyant teams who aren't quite with the big boys)
Germany = Bolivia (No chance)

The Moose

Mar 25, 2004
Edmonton
Frolov 6'3 said:
Cruijff is on the same level as Pele and Maradona.

I really don't understand why we should prefer Pele and Maradona over Johan. There's nothing both players had what Cruijff couldn't do, if you can then tell me, I'm curious.

I love Cruijff, but what he didn't do, and both Pele and Maradona did, was to win a World Cup for his country. Holland was awfully close thou in '74 and '78. Anyway "we" hope to kick some dutch ass in the qualifications for WC2006. :)

Last edited:

Seiza

Feb 28, 2002
Sweden
dangler19 said:
Canada = France (True Powerhouses)
Russia = Brazil (Skilled teams, always top contenders)
Sweden = Netherlands (Often favorites, rarely winners)
Czech = Spain (Great all-around teams always on the verge of championships)
Usa = Germany (Fading from their glory years)
Finland = England (Lots of spirit just not enough skill)
Slovakia = Portugal (Flamboyant teams who aren't quite with the big boys)
Germany = Bolivia (No chance)

Good comparison! :handclap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad