Hockey Cards?

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Anyone else into hockey trading cards? I've recently got back into it to put my scouting skill to the test. If you're into it, what are you buying? I bought a Kahun Young Guns card hoping he'll take a big step here. Kind of a gamble but it was like 10 bucks for the card. Where's your money going?

Last edited:

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Waiting on The Cup 2020-21.

Got back into it last year after 25 or so yrs. Part of the crowd 1991-94 card collector crowd.

Reactions: Raab

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Waiting on The Cup 2020-21.

Got back into it last year after 25 or so yrs. Part of the crowd 1991-94 card collector crowd.

Yea I got a ton from that era. I was a kid so collected a bunch I lived on the east coast for awhile so have a bunch of Montreal and Toronto stuff. Might even have a few Roy rookie cards which would be nice. Could put my kids through college then!(lol) I came out here in the late 90's so got the Weight, Guerin, Smyth, Marchant, Grier, Cujo etc.. cards as well. Grew out of it after that. But listening to Gary Vee its making a big comeback, and seems like if you know what you're doing theres money to be made. Maybe I can put all these hours I spend watching junior games to use...

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I collected as a kid & started getting back in to it just a little. Grabbed Yamamoto & Bouchard Young Guns cards recently...

You just reminded me I wanted a Yamamoto card. Gonna see what I can find. I think he's got some upside.

Edit: You buying the PSA stuff, or just regular?

Last edited:

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
You just reminded me I wanted a Yamamoto card. Gonna see what I can find. I think he's got some upside.

Edit: You buying the PSA stuff, or just regular?

I have a Yam auto rookie. Ice premieres numbered /299 if interested

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Yama, Bear and Bouchard cards are already up there in price.
'The Cup' rookie auto patch cards for them are worth hundreds.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Started collecting when I was a kid in the 60’s. Have a few thousand cards and a few unopened case boxes I bought for my eventual grandkids that I hope to one day give them. My earliest cards are unfortunately far from mint, as saving them as an investment was the furthest thing from my mind. But had a lot of fun with them, had every stat memorized.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Anyone else into hockey trading cards? I've recently got back into it to put my scouting skill to the test. If you're into it, what are you buying? I bought a Kahun Young Guns card hoping he'll take a big step here. Kind of a gamble but it was like 10 bucks for the card. Where's your money going?
That seems a little steep. Where did you buy it?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I will give you one tip if you buy a box of cards, sell every non-star Maple Leafs insert or young guns ASAP. As long as they are Maple Leafs they go for way more than they should. I can't remember which rookies I had a couple years ago and I was getting way more for their cards than any other common young guns. I had some insert to that had book value of 8 or 9 bucks and I got 25. Was floored.

9GWG9

C=NV
Jul 13, 2007
Im selling my cards from the 80's if anyone is interested in the good stuff. Gretzky rookie year on.......

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
My uncles were card and comic collectors during the late 60s/early 70s. They saved them and left them in my grandfathers attic to give to me. During the early 90s I went to my grandfathers house to get them and he said, “oh that old kids stuff, I threw that all away years ago.”

Reactions: joestevens29

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
That seems a little steep. Where did you buy it?

I buy most of mine off Ebay. So half that was the shipping. If he comes in here and has a good season I think the value will pop up to around 25-30 bucks hopefully.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I will give you one tip if you buy a box of cards, sell every non-star Maple Leafs insert or young guns ASAP. As long as they are Maple Leafs they go for way more than they should. I can't remember which rookies I had a couple years ago and I was getting way more for their cards than any other common young guns. I had some insert to that had book value of 8 or 9 bucks and I got 25. Was floored.

Yep seems like the big Canadian market players draw more value. Makes sense as theres more demand.

9GWG9

C=NV
Jul 13, 2007

Attachments

• 62952371965__482BCDAE-AE06-414C-9382-972D7F272084.JPG
    62952371965__482BCDAE-AE06-414C-9382-972D7F272084.JPG
    203.3 KB · Views: 18

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Almost. c/w the whole set though.

Yeah I don't have that type of cash laying around. Lol why not keep them? Not like they'll be going down in value. Also how do you feel about the Malkin cards? I think they're undervalued.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
My uncles were card and comic collectors during the late 60s/early 70s. They saved them and left them in my grandfathers attic to give to me. During the early 90s I went to my grandfathers house to get them and he said, “oh that old kids stuff, I threw that all away years ago.”
My mom threw away a bunch of my cards from when I was like 3-4. You know still the good years of the 80's. Then I got back into it during the 90's, which turned out to be the biggest waste.

I buy most of mine off Ebay. So half that was the shipping. If he comes in here and has a good season I think the value will pop up to around 25-30 bucks hopefully.
I have to look. I wouldn't be surprised to find out I have 3-4 of them. I went a little crazy about 4 years ago for a couple years.

I found an online auction store out of Red Deer or somewhere. I was buying a shit ton of young guns. Essentially was working out to less than a buck a card. And realized I had a bunch of William Karlsson and some other guys that were worth nothing when I bought them, but all of a sudden were worth 10-15 bucks. Not bad return. Ended up taking that money and buying two boxes from LD's rookie year. Ended up with two Leons, Gaudreau, and an Ekblad. Among some other decent ones.

Essentially I will take risk on cheap young guns, because you never know when those cheap cards can turn into something.

Wayne's on the West End is good because they had all their boxes and showed which young guns were in there. Sure some boxes are more expensive, but some of them have a lot of good young guns.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Yeah I don't have that type of cash laying around. Lol why not keep them? Not like they'll be going down in value. Also how do you feel about the Malkin cards? I think they're undervalued.
There is a thread on the main boards. Apparently cards are really high right now. A lot of people got into it during covid. There are some guys on there that have quite the collection and are selling a lot of their stuff.

It also doesn't hurt when you get a Gretzky card going through an auction for over a mil. Really gets people talking and buying.

Last edited:

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
I haven't really been collecting much in the last 8 years or so. I got really into when Hall, Ebs, MPS, and Omark were all in the same draft year. Managed to collect most of the young guns that year, then I delved heavily into a single player collection in Theo Peckham. Still have it, including about 4-5 1/1 printing plates. I really wanted to finish his letterman patch collection but I am missing the P and the M and the ones I have found online are way more money then I am willing to spend.

I think my top card is an Ovi auto letterman card what is number to 10 iirc.

Reactions: joestevens29

McSpecial DraiBlend

Feb 18, 2010
Kelowna, Canada
I was into it in the early 90s bigtime. I busted out my old collection to show the boy. He was very impressed...lol.
I have been buying him cards as he is now very obsessed and actually takes very good care of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad