Hockey Cards?

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
There is a thread on the main boards. Apparently cards are really high right now. A lot of people got into it during covid. There are some guys on there that have quite the collection and are selling a lot of their stuff.

It also doesn't hurt when you get a Gretzky card going through an auction for over a mil. Really gets people talking and buying.

Yeah I don't think they'll be going down anytime soon either. It's starting to catch on, and if they keep printing levels at what they're currently at you won't have the overabundance of cards like you had in the early 90's. I think itll catch on as a form of gambling unfortunately. You can buy a box and maybe get a McDavid or Drausaitl card. Or instead of sport select why not buy the card of a player you think will do well? On top you have the collectors who want rookie cards, and speciality cards. Will only get more popular IMO causing value to go up.

9GWG9

C=NV
Jul 13, 2007
Yeah I don't have that type of cash laying around. Lol why not keep them? Not like they'll be going down in value. Also how do you feel about the Malkin cards? I think they're undervalued.
Had them since I opened the pack and ate the gum. Kids don't realize what I'm sitting on and aren't interested.

I have no emotional attachment to them so they gotta go.

I will sell the Gretzky and the rest will go as a bonus lol.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Had them since I opened the pack and ate the gum. Kids don't realize what I'm sitting on and aren't interested.

They'll have interest after you get rid of them and they realize what they were worth.

I finally came across the Gordie Howe from Gretzky's rookie year late last year. Had no idea what it was worth, but I paid 15 bucks. Two weeks later I got another for 5.

The one for 5 was in way better shape.

Reactions: Raab

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

That Lemieux card will be worth 50000 or more in a few years. I wouldn't get rid of them till.you have to pay for the kids college.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Yes but um the cup is an insanely expensive product that only the wealthy can afford.
Well if you hope to make some profit you have to dig into high end cards.
I lucked out with a Lafreniere young gun card in a box break. That's the highest you could really go with non The Cup new hockey cards

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Well if you hope to make some profit you have to dig into high end cards.
I lucked out with a Lafreniere young gun card in a box break. That's the highest you could really go with non The Cup new hockey cards

Depends how quick you want to make money. Ovechkin card or a Crosby card seem like good investments.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
Not a fan of the Young Guns series, ugly design and over-produced. Can't help but think popular sentiment will eventually change on them and we'll see values drop considerably.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
I have a Gretzky “youngest to score 50 goals’ card. Obviously his rookie year but I’ve had a hell of a time trying to find out the value. It’s in mint condition anyone have any idea of its worth?

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
Used to collect them and still have them stored from the early 1990's. I have a Gretzky 1982 Opeechee(sp?) I think that is mint. Michael Jordan Baseball card. A Nolan Ryan baseball card. I have no idea what it is worth. I haven't looked at it in over 20 years. Lots of rookie cards from the early 90's like Brodeur, Jagr, etc

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
I picked up a blaster of UD Series 1 from Walmart on my way home today for the first time in years. Gustov Lindstrom YG, Anze Kopitar UD Canvas, ROR Dazzlers, a McDavid Portraits, Phillip Kurashev YG Jumbo, and 3 oilers base cards (Neal, Yamamoto, and Nurse).

samiam

Oct 4, 2010
I have a Gretzky “youngest to score 50 goals’ card. Obviously his rookie year but I’ve had a hell of a time trying to find out the value. It’s in mint condition anyone have any idea of its worth?

The card you speak of is not from his rookie year, but rather from 1980-81 OPC. I'm assuming the card is yellow on the back?
In terms of it's value it truly would depend on it's condition. If it is for sure "mint" condition, it might be worth something, but if it's "HF Boards mint", then it's completely subjective.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
376A8C7B-26DA-41CB-9C83-027984ADF43E.jpeg
3ADF83AF-10E1-47A1-80B6-97D1435E6370.jpeg

I’d say it’s mint....
The card you speak of is not from his rookie year, but rather from 1980-81 OPC. I'm assuming the card is yellow on the back?
In terms of it's value it truly would depend on it's condition. If it is for sure "mint" condition, it might be worth something, but if it's "HF Boards mint", then it's completely subjective.

Reactions: Dorian2

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Recently I got back into sports card collecting. I collected hockey cards when I was in elementary for a bit then slowed down(late 90's). Well there was no more gambling on sports for me when all the shenanigans happened so I got back in the hobby. I know enough on nfl, nba, mlb and nhl but hockey is my favourite of course. I barely got into hockey cards this time around as the nba cards, mlb cards, nfl cards were more popping. Pokemon cards as well are hot, a hot market today that no one mentions here.

I can't compare but we all noticed that Gretzky rookie sell for over a million. A few days ago a Giannis Antetokounmpo rookie card topped that. Crazy.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Your card is nice, and one of my fav's from this set. But, it's far from mint. All 4 corners are rounded, and the top right-hand corner has a small crease in it (as evidenced on your 2nd pic of the back). Unfortunately, this will effect the value of the card a great deal. Definitely a cool card to have though!
Ok, so it’s not ‘mint’ any idea what it’s worth?

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Sounds like they want to get them all to drive prices up. It's times like that when I'd love to see that card end up not worth all that much

I think Lafreniere is a step under Mcdavid, but he's going to be very good. His card if you get a Mint 10 could be worth $1000 in a year or two. Another guy to look at is Cale Makar. 50 points in 56 games...

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I think Lafreniere is a step under Mcdavid, but he's going to be very good. His card if you get a Mint 10 could be worth $1000 in a year or two. Another guy to look at is Cale Makar. 50 points in 56 games...
This is for the high gloss though.

I believe there are only 10.

A Leon 9.5 went for 3500 on ebay a couple months ago.

Reactions: Raab

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
This is for the high gloss though.

I believe there are only 10.

A Leon 9.5 went for 3500 on ebay a couple months ago.

Yea, I'm not sure, I'm looking at the Mcdavid cards, and they're at $1500 and he hasnt won a cup yet. If he wins a cup or two how much is his card going to be worth in 5 years? I think we're just at the cusp of what cards will be valued at.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad