Hockey Cards?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Not hockey cards, but just heard the end of it on radio and thought I'd pass it on.

Wayne's has those mystery boxes where you get a signed jersey and signed photo. Someone bought their kid the box and he got a signed Gretzky jersey. Not a bad pull

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I have started a small hockey card collection. It started when the Oilers won McDavid in the draft and everyone was going crazy for a Connor McDavid rookie card also called Young Gun cards. I started looking into getting one and that is when I saw how hockey cards have changed alot since I was a kid in the 80s. They now have jersey cards worn by the actual players, stick cards of hockey sticks used in actually games, and the coolest of all autograph cards hand signed not manufactured. I do have a Young Guns cards of McDavid, Draisaitl, Klefbom, Nurse, Bouchard, Bear, Yamaoto, Haas, Pulujarvi, Khaira, Broberg and Benson. My favorite card I own is is a Gretzky stick card. I have a bunch of auto cards, most aren't star players but of players from the 80s and 90s and the 2006 playoff run. Although I do have auto cards of Glenn Anderson, Jari Kurii, Bill Ranford, and Andy Moog. Most of my collection is jersey cards, and I am also originally from Thunder Bay Ontario so I have a bunch of auto cards, jersey cards, and rookie cards of guys that were born or lived in Thunder Bay.
I use to collect quite a few jersey cards and auto cards. I switched and starting looking at Oiler rookie cards. I wish I would've started sooner as there use to be a lot of the 80's rookie cards going through auctions and buy sell apps for decent deals.

The shitty part that I learned was not all Jersey's were from actual games. Then there was also a rumor that for awhile the Jersey's themselves were fake. Then I didn't realize that a lot of the cards they just put stickers on with the signature, making them less valuable as the player never actually touched them. Although one would think that if the player touched it there is a far greater risk of the card not being in as good as condition.

Luckily I never spent a lot on one particular card. I've also gotten lucky with selling some of the cards I got for dirt cheap that went up once the player became someone. Hence why I won't pass up on cheap young guns or signed cards of unknowns.

Reactions: Draiskull

The Hound

Oct 10, 2015
I haven’t recently but I’ll be getting some blasters in hopes of Laf, Broberg or Byram. I picked up a couple of cheap YG favorites — Yama, Bear, McAvoy, Werenski. Packed Dahlin, Nolan Patrick, Tolvanen. I forgot who I was going for that year.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I haven’t recently but I’ll be getting some blasters in hopes of Laf, Broberg or Byram. I picked up a couple of cheap YG favorites — Yama, Bear, McAvoy, Werenski. Packed Dahlin, Nolan Patrick, Tolvanen. I forgot who I was going for that year.
I got Oilers in a case break. UD Series 1 .. Any specific card I should look out for? Any Oilers limited card that is out there to justify the $50? Are the young guns the best I should hope for?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I got Oilers in a case break. UD Series 1 .. Any specific card I should look out for? Any Oilers limited card that is out there to justify the $50? Are the young guns the best I should hope for?
2020-21 Upper Deck Series 1 Hockey Checklist, Young Guns, Box, Date

Here is the list of cards.

I don't know who would get the below.
s-l1600.jpg

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

Broberg is the one I'd watch for and sit on. I think he's going to be a good d-man and his card will go up in value as more people realize how good he is.

Edit: I should add the Broberg card I bought showed up in the mail today.

Last edited:

The Hound

Oct 10, 2015

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Broberg is the one I'd watch for and sit on. I think he's going to be a good d-man and his card will go up in value as more people realize how good he is.

Edit: I should add the Broberg card I bought showed up in the mail today.
I don't know how high it will really go. You can look at the top d-men from last year and not a lot of their rookie cards are worth a ton.

Guys like Quinn Hughes and Cale Makar are high because they are the new flashy thing, but the old flashy Hedman, Karlsson, Doughty and Carlsson can be had for like 30-50 bucks

If Broberg's card ever gets close to a $100 I'm unloading it, even then probably better to unload it far sooner.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
UD The Cup is releasing Feb 24th.
All the big money hockey cards will be there.
These mass produced Series 1 boxes are nothing compared to it.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I don't know how high it will really go. You can look at the top d-men from last year and not a lot of their rookie cards are worth a ton.

Guys like Quinn Hughes and Cale Makar are high because they are the new flashy thing, but the old flashy Hedman, Karlsson, Doughty and Carlsson can be had for like 30-50 bucks

If Broberg's card ever gets close to a $100 I'm unloading it, even then probably better to unload it far sooner.

Well you can buy them right now with shipping for around 15 bucks. If you can get $45 that's a 200% return. Even $30 bucks is 100% return on investment.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Anyone else into hockey trading cards? I've recently got back into it to put my scouting skill to the test. If you're into it, what are you buying? I bought a Kahun Young Guns card hoping he'll take a big step here. Kind of a gamble but it was like 10 bucks for the card. Where's your money going?
What a waste of 10 dollars.:laugh:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
What a waste of 10 dollars.:laugh:
I still keep my eye open for those cheap young guns that are a buck or less. Never know who the hell is gonna break out.

I have to look now and see what I have for Bunting young guns. Not only did he finally breakout, but he's a Leaf. Think they are going roughly 25 bucks a pop, so not bad on a buck or less investment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad