Hockey Cards?

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Rookie cards are where its at... Check out a Orr, rookie card, or Messier even. The rest of the cards are nice to look at, but not worth much.
Ya, I have a rookie Bourque and Kurri. I used to have a rookie Gretzky but it was crinkled to shit, it got stolen some 20 years ago. I also have Gordie Howe’s last Whaler card in less than ideal shape

Reactions: Raab

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Not sure if it'll pay off but I'm buying this guys rookie card right now. I think theres a good chance he ends up on a wing with Lafreniere at some point, and if they click his value will go through the roof.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
eBay and other sites have box breaks where you can purchase/bid per team.
Rangers and Senators seem like great bets going forward with Kakko, Shester, Kravtsov and Laf rookie cards. Edmonton has been the hottest the last 4/5 yrs mainly due to McDrai.

Reactions: belair

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Not sure if it'll pay off but I'm buying this guys rookie card right now. I think theres a good chance he ends up on a wing with Lafreniere at some point, and if they click his value will go through the roof.

I think the value of those Lafreniere YGs is going to plummet in short order. It seems everyone and their dog is pulling it and the Series One seems to be pretty mass produced this year. Factor in the fact that Lafreniere is probably the third best LW on that roster and I'm not sure his production is on the level of a MacKinnon, Crosby or McDavid at any point.

Go buy some Jack Hughes stuff if you're looking for a decent buy-low/bounce-back kind of player.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
eBay and other sites have box breaks where you can purchase/bid per team.
Rangers and Senators seem like great bets going forward with Kakko, Shester, Kravtsov and Laf rookie cards. Edmonton has been the hottest the last 4/5 yrs mainly due to McDrai.
A lot of local shops around here do that, too. A place by my house has been doing random draws for full tins from The Cup series from 17/18.

I haven't really collected for many years besides buying those Tim Hortons cards every year, but I enjoy watching some of those breaks on YT. A lot of really nice pulls.

Reactions: Raab and LTIR

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I've got a Wayne Gretzky rookie card I just purchased and am willing to resell, if anyone has any interest. Serious buyers only.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I think the value of those Lafreniere YGs is going to plummet in short order. It seems everyone and their dog is pulling it and the Series One seems to be pretty mass produced this year. Factor in the fact that Lafreniere is probably the third best LW on that roster and I'm not sure his production is on the level of a MacKinnon, Crosby or McDavid at any point.

Go buy some Jack Hughes stuff if you're looking for a decent buy-low/bounce-back kind of player.

I think Lafreniere is a much better player then you give him credit for. In saying that do you think Hughes is going to rebound? I think he's probably one of the worst of the 1st overalls in the last 5 years. Only other one in contention IMO is Hischier.

Crankyfrank

Sep 11, 2016
I've got a Wayne Gretzky rookie card I just purchased and am willing to resell, if anyone has any interest. Serious buyers only.
Most Gretzky rookies if ungraded are hit and miss. Ksa graded ....I would stay away from as they will grade a trimmed card. I know from experience. I own a PSA 9 that I purchased 34 years ago ungraded ... which I took a flight to PSA to do a walk through grade....I had several dubs and I have collected for over 40 years. Hope yours is a good one.
Cheers

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Anyone else into hockey trading cards? I've recently got back into it to put my scouting skill to the test. If you're into it, what are you buying? I bought a Kahun Young Guns card hoping he'll take a big step here. Kind of a gamble but it was like 10 bucks for the card. Where's your money going?
I use to be into it big time . Got rid of all of my cards except fir 2 Wayne Gretzky rookie cards . Would mind adding a McDavid rookie card or 2

Reactions: Raab

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I have a collection that's on and off since 1979 when my Gramma sent me a box of O Pee Chee's for Xmas when they came out. I could expand this with pics and info if I dig them out. Have some great pieces from a few eras.

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Most Gretzky rookies if ungraded are hit and miss. Ksa graded ....I would stay away from as they will grade a trimmed card. I know from experience. I own a PSA 9 that I purchased 34 years ago ungraded ... which I took a flight to PSA to do a walk through grade....I had several dubs and I have collected for over 40 years. Hope yours is a good one.
Cheers

Do you prefer PSA grading to other grading companies? I have some TCG cards that I need to grade and it seems like most on ebay are PSA.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Do you prefer PSA grading to other grading companies? I have some TCG cards that I need to grade and it seems like most on ebay are PSA.

PSA is the standard right now, that could change in the future. I'd use PSA if I had any that needed grading.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I go back to the O Pee Chee cards, and remember the most coveted guy was some obscure winger name Larry Jeffery, who played on several teams for a cup of coffee. You could have the entire set, but he was the guy that was the crown jewel for completion. The card was as rare as any goals he scored.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
A little OT but my son saw one kid at school in the last school year with a wrinkled and screwed up Pokemon card that today would be worth $3K + if it were graded a PSA 10.

DethOfDragnz

Sep 22, 2010
Edmonton, AB
I have started a small hockey card collection. It started when the Oilers won McDavid in the draft and everyone was going crazy for a Connor McDavid rookie card also called Young Gun cards. I started looking into getting one and that is when I saw how hockey cards have changed alot since I was a kid in the 80s. They now have jersey cards worn by the actual players, stick cards of hockey sticks used in actually games, and the coolest of all autograph cards hand signed not manufactured. I do have a Young Guns cards of McDavid, Draisaitl, Klefbom, Nurse, Bouchard, Bear, Yamaoto, Haas, Pulujarvi, Khaira, Broberg and Benson. My favorite card I own is is a Gretzky stick card. I have a bunch of auto cards, most aren't star players but of players from the 80s and 90s and the 2006 playoff run. Although I do have auto cards of Glenn Anderson, Jari Kurii, Bill Ranford, and Andy Moog. Most of my collection is jersey cards, and I am also originally from Thunder Bay Ontario so I have a bunch of auto cards, jersey cards, and rookie cards of guys that were born or lived in Thunder Bay.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
If there is anyone rich here, I have a McDavid rookie, auto, patch card from 2018-2019 The Cup for sale. Its a /10 so only 10 exist.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
A little OT but my son saw one kid at school in the last school year with a wrinkled and screwed up Pokemon card that today would be worth $3K + if it were graded a PSA 10.

The pokemon card market goes under the radar. It is fairly consistent.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The pokemon card market goes under the radar. It is fairly consistent.

Anything Charizard is like gold right now. Never gave a crap about it until my kids got into it, being a former card collector I made sure to sleeve everything up in the event that it would be worth something down the road. Will be sending some cards in to get graded at some point. Hoping that the best ones are PSA 10's or 9's at the worst.

Last edited:
Reactions: lakai17

rydlar

Aug 2, 2005
If there is anyone rich here, I have a McDavid rookie, auto, patch card from 2018-2019 The Cup for sale. Its a /10 so only 10 exist.

Don't want to step on toes or offend, but if it's from 2018-19 Cup it's not a Rookie. It might be a rookie tribute, or even say "rookie" on the sides of the card but unless it's from 2015-16 Cup it's not a rookie year card for McDavid. I use to run one of the largest box breaking sites on the web (and eBay) from 2011-2016.

Your card will still be worth a decent chunk tho as it's an /10 McDavid auto patch from The Cup so no worries there. But the /99's from 2015-16 Cup go for $20-60K+ depending on condition.

Not related to above but I have been collecting for quite a while. Cards are a fun hobby but, in all honesty, you're better off purchasing the card you want from eBay than to try to bust wax and pull it. Running the box breaks showed me how it was just a way to profit from legal gambling (part of the reason I stopped was people owed me too much $ and I ended up with their break results as some never paid).

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Don't want to step on toes or offend, but if it's from 2018-19 Cup it's not a Rookie. It might be a rookie tribute, or even say "rookie" on the sides of the card but unless it's from 2015-16 Cup it's not a rookie year card for McDavid. I use to run one of the largest box breaking sites on the web (and eBay) from 2011-2016.

Your card will still be worth a decent chunk tho as it's an /10 McDavid auto patch from The Cup so no worries there. But the /99's from 2015-16 Cup go for $20-60K+ depending on condition.

Not related to above but I have been collecting for quite a while. Cards are a fun hobby but, in all honesty, you're better off purchasing the card you want from eBay than to try to bust wax and pull it. Running the box breaks showed me how it was just a way to profit from legal gambling (part of the reason I stopped was people owed me too much $ and I ended up with their break results as some never paid).
Yeh, its a tribute rookie auto patch that I pulled from a box break. Still worth over $1000.
I would have been happy with any Oilers player so purchasing specific teams for box breaks may be better than buying specific card off eBay. I dont know of any box break sites where I dont have to pay up front to purchase a team so there should be no chance of anyone owing the box breakers now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad