Hockey Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
Another scammer.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">This card is/was owned by card trimmer Evan Mathis. Scammers finding ways to unload inventory in broad daylight. <a href="https://t.co/68EVg0kTZl">https://t.co/68EVg0kTZl</a></p>&mdash; Sports Card News (@SportsCardNews) <a href="">September 20, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
For vintage hockey, PSA is the only choice.

Beckett has BVG (Beckett Vintage Grading, not BGS - Beckett Grading Services) for anything older than 1981. the problem is they don't take into account the "rough edges" that are very common on Canadian made hockey cards. You could have a perfectly preserved hockey card but have Beckett downgrade due to the edges being "r0ugh", even though all Canadian cards are like that.

I understand PSA vs Beckett services the main question is "Any other outfits folks are aware of that offer similar but with PSA and any experience going this route versus doing it yourself?". I ask because I have heard people getting better grades the bigger the submission. Also that they save on fees versus doing it themselves.

Reactions: Rorschach

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
Been chasing a McDavid auto for 5 years now and finally pulled one.

I've opened eight boxes of Allure and still haven't had one I've considered bad. Love the stuff.

20200922_162142.jpg

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Another scammer.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">This card is/was owned by card trimmer Evan Mathis. Scammers finding ways to unload inventory in broad daylight. <a href="https://t.co/68EVg0kTZl">https://t.co/68EVg0kTZl</a></p>&mdash; Sports Card News (@SportsCardNews) <a href="">September 20, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Biggest blunder in my father's life.....traded the Mantle rookie for bottles (was also a bottle collector). This was before cards were really worth anything but still.....DOH!!!

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Has there been any word if Upper Deck will be releasing a '20-'21 set with Tim Horton's? Usually they come out around this time. Curious if there will be a delay or scrapped all together.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Does anyone know the population on YG rainbow Fools?
Unfortunately Upper Deck doesn’t give a population of them.

Speaking of which, I’m not on e-pack but I know that the silver young guns come from exchanging YGs to get a silver. Is this also how people get the rainbow YGs? Is there a different exchange rate between the silver and rainbow versions?

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
ESPN takes a look at the recent resurgence of sports cards.

from espn.com:

i

The Topps 1952 Mickey Mantle is a well-known object of envy in the world of sports card collecting, selling for nearly $3 million in 2018.

IN AN ANONYMOUS office complex amid the Meadowland sprawl of northern New Jersey, Rick Probstein tears through a standing vault in search of his most prized treasure.

With wire-rim glasses and incandescent red hair, Probstein oversees his dimly lit five-room unit like Richard Branson on "MTV Cribs." He's earned it. EBay's preeminent sports memorabilia proprietor reportedly racked up $50 million in global sales last year.

It's a month before the coronavirus will upend civilization, and Probstein is in a collector's paradise: One room spills over with racks of signed jerseys being prepped for shipping; in another, two dozen employees, sardined at workstations, painstakingly monitor auctions; in Probstein's office, columns of cards on folding tables test gravity with mini helmets littering his desk. Atop the vault sits a Babe Ruth autographed baseball, acknowledged with a halfhearted nod as Probstein rummages below.

Probstein retrieves from the vault plywood-thick cards, autographed and embedded with game-used jersey swatches -- one of them, a LeBron-Jordan dual patch autograph, will soon fetch $35,000 - and two graded 1952 Topps Mickey Mantles.

The Mantles are the showstoppers. In 2018, one went for almost $3 million at auction. Two could buy a private island.

But vintage cards yielding top dollar is nothing new. What is new and hard to fathom: Over the past half-decade, even now amid a pandemic that's decimated the American economy, contemporary sports cards have attracted gargantuan sums from high-rolling investors. And somehow, during a year that included the sharpest GDP quarterly contraction in American history, card sales have demolished all-time records, dumbfounding investors and collectors alike.

Full story: Sports cards are back in a big way -- pandemic, recession and all

Reactions: kaiser matias

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I have a Hedman YG BGS with all 4 tens. Just sent it back to Beckett to have the label replaced and a black one put on instead. I'm quite nervous Beckett will attempt to regrade it, despite the fact I just asked for a label change.

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
Has there been any word if Upper Deck will be releasing a '20-'21 set with Tim Horton's? Usually they come out around this time. Curious if there will be a delay or scrapped all together.
I was wondering the same as my son and I have every single card and subset since its introduction. I am friends with the local Tims franchise owner and he said they are but are waiting until after they announce officially when the season is starting. Most likely release date is about a month before the actual start of the season. Also did some quick looking on Google and read the same thing from a few sites. Hopes this helps.

Reactions: Bondurant

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
I was wondering the same as my son and I have every single card and subset since its introduction. I am friends with the local Tims franchise owner and he said they are but are waiting until after they announce officially when the season is starting. Most likely release date is about a month before the actual start of the season. Also did some quick looking on Google and read the same thing from a few sites. Hopes this helps.
In a recent interview with Chris Carlin (UD hockey marketing manager), he said that Tim Hortons keeps it tightly under wraps, and UD can’t announce anything about it. Generally Tim Hortons will announce with little lead up if there is a set.

I’d like to see the Canadian Tire Upper Deck cards. A year ago with the Coast to Coast set was good, but I really loved the Team Canada set. Opened tons of packs.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Somewhat card related...did anyone keep their Panini albums from the 80's and early 90's? Quality dropped over the years. Panini used to put a lot of effort into the albums. The older World Cup albums were great too. Now they are rather dull. Topps does hockey now, at least here in the States, and are on the drab side too.

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Somewhat card related...did anyone keep their Panini albums from the 80's and early 90's? Quality dropped over the years. Panini used to put a lot of effort into the albums. The older World Cup albums were great too. Now they are rather dull. Topps does hockey now, at least here in the States, and are on the drab side too.

I still have my 90-91 album with Gretzky on the cover. Love it. The stickers were bigger, the quality seemed better, and the coulours “popped” more. The Topps albums are rather dull, I agree. And I tried inquiring to buy individual stickers to complete my son’s album, which they didn’t do. Panini always offered that option. Quite disappointing.

Getting back on hockey cards, this thread makes me want to get back into the hobby in a big way. I love the jersey and autograph options, things that weren’t around in the late 80s and early 90s when I was collecting.

Reactions: Bondurant

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
For the avid collectors, can you explain how the companies get these autographs and jerseys? Do they exclusive contracts with the player, teams and league?

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
For the avid collectors, can you explain how the companies get these autographs and jerseys? Do they exclusive contracts with the player, teams and league?

Its through the NHLPA but some players sign exclusive deals...like Jack Eichel did at the start of his career. He signed one with Fleer or some shit so NO Eichel autos were in any Upper Deck set....including the cup which definitely makes investing in one stupid without the auto. An "event" worn piece of patch is not worth much to me at all.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Yes.

It is not the best time to re-enter the hobby as prices are skyrocketing. Thankfully hockey isn't bad as baseball, football and basketball cards. But it's still pretty bad. Upper Deck is making the O-Pee-Chee cards now and they are still affordable and a good option for collecting with your son. Boxes of Upper Deck retail for $79.99 and can start going up if rookies get hot. I still enjoy it but I wish there was better options for kids.

Panini still sells individual stickers. I had to resort to buy a few to complete a World Cup album. If Topps does not sell individual stickers I would recommend checking E-Bay, Baseball Card Exchange and Steel City Collectibles for boxes. Sometimes you can find good deals for the previous years stickers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad