Hockey Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
SomeDude said:
Makes as much sense people shelling out a ton of money for a piece of a jersey that a player literally wears for 5 seconds after he's drafted.

Not a fan of jersey cards in general. Personally, I don't like the idea of hacking up jerseys and other memorabilia to make cards. Especially with vintage stuff.

The "manufactured patches" are another level of lameness though, particularly for a high end product. At least with the "photoshoot" jerseys, the player wore it for the draft (even if only in a photoshoot immediately afterwards), which is a very important event.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
I've been gunning for Young Guns and buying series one 13-14 tins.

Two I bought today were Dupilcates: Huberdeau, Dumba, Lessio.

That's four Dumbas now.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Not a fan of jersey cards in general. Personally, I don't like the idea of hacking up jerseys and other memorabilia to make cards. Especially with vintage stuff.

The "manufactured patches" are another level of lameness though, particularly for a high end product. At least with the "photoshoot" jerseys, the player wore it for the draft (even if only in a photoshoot immediately afterwards), which is a very important event.

Most jersey cards were never worn. Upper Deck, after all of their legal issues, cranked out a ton of "game used" cards that were nothing but jerseys purchased second hand from questionalable dealers. Unless the card itself is dated what game the jersey piece came from, I wouldnt think for one second that swatch of material was from a game used jersey.

Panini came out with pieces of the net set from the Cup finals when the Hawks beat the Bruins. Those cards go for a nice price considering they are authentic from the 17 second game.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
You can get them on clearance for 12 bucks

USD or Canadian?

Some good Young Guns in that set. An issue is that they may no longer be replacing the MacKinnon with the pink blur. About half of them have it, and that is the most valuable Young Guns card, although Tarasenko may end up being the most valuable in the end.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
USD or Canadian?

Some good Young Guns in that set. An issue is that they may no longer be replacing the MacKinnon with the pink blur. About half of them have it, and that is the most valuable Young Guns card, although Tarasenko may end up being the most valuable in the end.

I need to know this aswell. I was one of the lucky ones. I pulled 3 Mackinnons and only 1 had the pink blur. I still think Mack will be the most valuable in the end but I wouldnt cry if I pulled Tanks YG either. Still pissed I sold that Kucherov for .99 cents before the playoffs haha. I couldve made 8-12 more dollars if I held it a little longer.

K2MyEverest

Nov 27, 2010
Montreal
I need to know this aswell. I was one of the lucky ones. I pulled 3 Mackinnons and only 1 had the pink blur. I still think Mack will be the most valuable in the end but I wouldnt cry if I pulled Tanks YG either. Still pissed I sold that Kucherov for .99 cents before the playoffs haha. I couldve made 8-12 more dollars if I held it a little longer.

I hear you, I sold a Carey Price future watch auto /999 for 100$ a year ago in november, just before he went berserk and won all those awards. A Carey Price future watch auto /999 now sells between 250 - 300$ :facepalm:

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I hear you, I sold a Carey Price future watch auto /999 for 100$ a year ago in november, just before he went berserk and won all those awards. A Carey Price future watch auto /999 now sells between 250 - 300$ :facepalm:

You're a habs fan too how dare you sell Jesus Price anything :laugh: Thats the one thing I dont do is sell any of my Avs cards regardless of who they are. Thats my ride or die and a Matt Hendricks YG is as valuable to me as say an Alex Galchenyuk YG.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
At least with the "photoshoot" jerseys, the player wore it for the draft (even if only in a photoshoot immediately afterwards), which is a very important event.

Not likely on the photo shoot. In one of those behind the scenes of the draft shows they did a few years ago, they showed a player, I think it was Taylor Hall, when he went to the back after being drafted, a UD rep handed him a couple jerseys and told him to put each one real fast. There were no photos taken, but I guess he technically wore them.

Last edited:

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
USD or Canadian?

US. They are littering targets.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
US. They are littering targets.

At the end of the 2014 hockey year they were going for as little as $14 Canadian (dollar was on par then). I picked up a bunch.

DaCardWorld also had their blasters on sale for $9.99 USD, which Young Guns wise is the equivalent of $14.99 for a tin.

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
I collect Cody McLeod cards. He has exactly one AU/GU card ever officially made, which is named 2013-14 Panini Prime Captain's Cloth #CCCM Cody McLeod/2

This is what I have:
McLeodA.png

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Darn Tim Hortons don't seem to have any more packs, I only got three kinda bummed I didn't get more. Got a MacKinnon at least, no Lando though or whoever the other Avs player was.

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
How long did it take to find both?

I mean that is pretty impressive since there are only two.

What did it cost you as well?

About 200 USD together. Luckily I found those within a week of each other.

There two questions about this though
1) What happened to the rest of the jersey? Obviously Panini never used it on cards.
2) For which players this is even possible to accomplish? I think we can safely agree, that if a player has an AU/GU card with print run of more than 25, it is instantly impossible. So for example, if the player has The Cup RC or Future Watch Auto, he's cards are impossible to accomplish.

Mar 12, 2009

Photo shoot jersey's aren't even all necessarily worn at the draft. It can be worn at any type of event, including ones upper deck holds. I got out of the hobby around the time photo shoot became hte standard for jersey cards. Always left a bad taste in my mouth, cards with photo shoot related (and not game worn) are a sham to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->