Hockey Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
Any of you collect vintage? Low-grade cards seem to be pretty affordable.

i6LKsB0.png

Reactions: Conbon

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
I hate how the cards rarely even put the stats on them anymore. Just a full back advertisement for Upper Deck on how the card has an authentic piece of memorabilia or autograph and was signed in the presence of an UD representative. Bring back Topps and OPC wax packs with the simple old design with stats. Make them more rare and sub the gum for inserts. Only sell them in sealed boxes so they can't be tampered with. I would buy them. I hate the modern stuff.

Reactions: Iceman

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I hate how the cards rarely even put the stats on them anymore. Just a full back advertisement for Upper Deck on how the card has an authentic piece of memorabilia or autograph and was signed in the presence of an UD representative. Bring back Topps and OPC wax packs with the simple old design with stats. Make them more rare and sub the gum for inserts. Only sell them in sealed boxes so they can't be tampered with. I would buy them. I hate the modern stuff.

Probably because of the internet. Nobody uses cards to see stats anymore when a simple Google search will suffice.

Reactions: varsaku

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I collected cards in the late 80s and when the early 90s boom hit I raked up nice cash. Brett Hull was my favorite. I had like 15 rookie cards and sold them for like 50 bucks a pop

1988-89-OPC-Hockey-Brett-Hull-Rookie-66-St.jpg

What an ugly card. lol

Yup, and if you look closely, it’s him in his Calgary jersey with the main part airbrushed to Blues blues.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Yeah the designs of the decade, with the exception of 84-85, were really bad. The 89-90 design was nice. Several newer card companies had nicer designs like Score but it wasn’t until UD hit the market in 1989 that forced Topps to improve all of their design and quality levels.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
Yeah the designs of the decade, with the exception of 84-85, were really bad. The 89-90 design was nice. Several newer card companies had nicer designs like Score but it wasn’t until UD hit the market in 1989 that forced Topps to improve all of their design and quality levels.
Yea totally.
UD truly broke the mold with the design and card stock.

1990-91-Upper-Deck-Mike-Modano-RC.jpg

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Notes on the Card Doctoring Scandal

High-end graded cards going to see big hits in value.
That article is pretty funny. Law enforcement? I can imagine cops raiding some guys house and finding a nerdy card collector with a magnifying glass in his hands trimming a card.

Seriously though, it is pretty awful this is happening. I guess with new laser technology there may be no way to stop this. You think you'd be able to identify it with high end imaging equipment, especially vintage stuff.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
That article is pretty funny. Law enforcement? I can imagine cops raiding some guys house and finding a nerdy card collector with a magnifying glass in his hands trimming a card.

FBI gets involved in these cases.

Bill Mastro, who spent more than two decades berating and bullying anybody who suggested he had altered the world's most valuable baseball card, a T206 Honus Wagner, pleaded guilty Thursday to mail fraud in U.S District Court — and admitted in the process that he had trimmed the Wagner card to sharply increase its value.

The disgraced sports memorabilia kingpin publicly acknowledged for the first time that he had trimmed the sides of "The Card," which sold for $2.8 million in 2007 and was once owned by NHL great Wayne Gretzky, in order to improve its appearance and sharply increase its value, a con job that lasted well over three decades and changed the face of memorabilia dealing.

Mastro faces up to five years in prison when he is sentenced by U.S. District Court Judge Ronald A. Guzman.

Bill Mastro admits cutting T206 Honus Wagner card, pleads guilty to mail fraud

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
Bought a 12 pack box of 18-19 UD S1. Just for fun really.
Some inserts I pulled:
Sidney Crosby Shooting Stars
Auston Matthews and Mathew Barzal UD Portraits
Blake Wheeler Game Worn Jersey Patch

Too bad I'm not a wings fan. ALL THREE of my Young Guns were Detroit. Michael Rasmussen, Filip Hronek and Dennis Cholowski

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Bought a 12 pack box of 18-19 UD S1. Just for fun really.
Some inserts I pulled:
Sidney Crosby Shooting Stars
Auston Matthews and Mathew Barzal UD Portraits
Blake Wheeler Game Worn Jersey Patch

Too bad I'm not a wings fan. ALL THREE of my Young Guns were Detroit. Michael Rasmussen, Filip Hronek and Dennis Cholowski

I opened 4 boxes and had to hit E-Bay for Hronek and Cholowski. Funny how that works.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Can anyone find a 96-97 Upper Deck Ice Acetate Roy card ? I don't remember what it looks like. I won an auction of it graded, only a 7, but only paid 5 dollars Canadian. The Beckett title says Parallel, but I'm not sure if it's acetate, or just regular.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Same card. Same price. Assuming you can only buy one. PSA 10 or Beckett 9.5?
PSA 10. Could be a bgs 9.5 or 10.

That being said I would send modern cards to bgs. If the do come back a 10 they are worth more.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Can anyone find a 96-97 Upper Deck Ice Acetate Roy card ? I don't remember what it looks like. I won an auction of it graded, only a 7, but only paid 5 dollars Canadian. The Beckett title says Parallel, but I'm not sure if it's acetate, or just regular.
There's multiple listed on eBay right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad