Hockey Cards - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitts

Jun 29, 2011
Calgary
Managed a Lafreniere from my 3 Hobby boxes, no rounded corners but bottom right corner looks like it has a little extra material on it.

cR0HORS.png

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
A lot of my base cards are rounded. I build a couple of sets ever year, so I'll use the base from my retail boxes. My YGs look alright but not incredible. My Dipietro has a dinged corner. Fortunately I didn't hit any big ones lol. My two best YGs were both Canvas: Juolevi and Vilardi. Both are in great condition. The canvas cards are great.

Just curious, would you sell the Canvas Vilardi YG?

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Looking to possibly get back into collecting, Had huge collection as a kid, 4-5 boxes with 5-6 binders in each box, spanning everything from 68-69 cards to 1992-1993? OPC, Topps, Upper deck etc, when I stopped out of high school etc, there were only 4-5 card makers, now it's just confusing as hell..... I remember going into stores, and thumbing through boxes of indvidual cards trying to complete a set or 2nd set, or even 3rd set etc, I think at one point I had 15 Brett Hull rookies etc,

Are binders/sheets still the best way to preserve cards? Any tips/pointer, hell, even a starting point would be appreciated....

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Looking to possibly get back into collecting, Had huge collection as a kid, 4-5 boxes with 5-6 binders in each box, spanning everything from 68-69 cards to 1992-1993? OPC, Topps, Upper deck etc, when I stopped out of high school etc, there were only 4-5 card makers, now it's just confusing as hell..... I remember going into stores, and thumbing through boxes of indvidual cards trying to complete a set or 2nd set, or even 3rd set etc, I think at one point I had 15 Brett Hull rookies etc,

Are binders/sheets still the best way to preserve cards? Any tips/pointer, hell, even a starting point would be appreciated....

Sleeves and top loaders are your best bet.

As for sets, depends if you want to go in heavy, or just dip your toes.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Sleeves and top loaders are your best bet.

As for sets, depends if you want to go in heavy, or just dip your toes.

What I remember liking the best about it, and might still do, won't know until I try I guess, but is getting packs or if I was lucky a box etc, and piecing together sets, I think that's how I want to start, but 4-5 companies grew to like 25-30 companies with like 80 subsets, it's insane, no idea where to start with what brand, what has the best value/resale or holds it etc, it's drastically changed in the past 30 years, and yes I am dating myself lol

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
What I remember liking the best about it, and might still do, won't know until I try I guess, but is getting packs or if I was lucky a box etc, and piecing together sets, I think that's how I want to start, but 4-5 companies grew to like 25-30 companies with like 80 subsets, it's insane, no idea where to start with what brand, what has the best value/resale or holds it etc, it's drastically changed in the past 30 years, and yes I am dating myself lol

For me, I didn’t care about sets. I was one of those “I want a card of every player and with every team they’ve been on” person. Obviously this is assuming a card exists of that player with a team.

Then there was the obligatory re-arranging of my cards (by team, by position, alphabetically, by card number, by player number, by year the card came out, by XX combination of any of the above). Then it became too expensive of a hobby.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
For me, I didn’t care about sets. I was one of those “I want a card of every player and with every team they’ve been on” person. Obviously this is assuming a card exists of that player with a team.

Then there was the obligatory re-arranging of my cards (by team, by position, alphabetically, by card number, by player number, by year the card came out, by XX combination of any of the above). Then it became too expensive of a hobby.

Nice, I was never that much of a fan of a team, when collecting, or a player, but I liked the building of something, so I gravitated towards sets etc.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

It never really grew much in terms of companies, really one company completely oversaturating the market (Upper Deck). There were other companies here and there but in a nutshell, Upper Deck doing its thing. Like you I has a heavy collector throughout the 70's to early 90's. When they oversaturated the market it pretty much killed my interest. I still dabble but now focus mainly just on my team. I have never been in it for the money. I suspect you'll find many who are and because of that it will drive what they purchase. A lot will recommend the UD Series 1/2 in terms of sets. Much of that based on sales/resale value. Where selling isn't my thing, that set has never been of much interest to me.....I find it pretty lacking versus the whole of what is out there. The only set I have tried to collect over the past 20 years was 2003-04 Parkhurst Original 6 Toronto......because it was Leaf centered. Still missing 7 cards but that's because they are all numbered to 20 so don't surface often. There was a newer Leaf set released which I may venture into. Anyways, ultimately I'd say it depends on whether you are looking to sell/invest or collect. It's insanely expensive so if collecting is your thing you are better off not cracking boxes, rather saving your money to buy exactly what you want (rather than having a bunch of chaff you don't want). Yes, you can hit on some cool things the other way but it's costly. There's no denying the excitement of cracking packs, so you could always mix the approaches too by picking a less expensive or unique set to get that fix. Based on your username, I assume you are in Alberta, which means you'd have access to the Tim Horton's cards. Might be a less expensive way to get that fix while largely completing a set.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
It never really grew much in terms of companies, really one company completely oversaturating the market (Upper Deck). There were other companies here and there but in a nutshell, Upper Deck doing its thing. Like you I has a heavy collector throughout the 70's to early 90's. When they oversaturated the market it pretty much killed my interest. I still dabble but now focus mainly just on my team. I have never been in it for the money. I suspect you'll find many who are and because of that it will drive what they purchase. A lot will recommend the UD Series 1/2 in terms of sets. Much of that based on sales/resale value. Where selling isn't my thing, that set has never been of much interest to me.....I find it pretty lacking versus the whole of what is out there. The only set I have tried to collect over the past 20 years was 2003-04 Parkhurst Original 6 Toronto......because it was Leaf centered. Still missing 7 cards but that's because they are all numbered to 20 so don't surface often. There was a newer Leaf set released which I may venture into. Anyways, ultimately I'd say it depends on whether you are looking to sell/invest or collect. It's insanely expensive so if collecting is your thing you are better off not cracking boxes, rather saving your money to buy exactly what you want (rather than having a bunch of chaff you don't want). Yes, you can hit on some cool things the other way but it's costly. There's no denying the excitement of cracking packs, so you could always mix the approaches too by picking a less expensive or unique set to get that fix. Based on your username, I assume you are in Alberta, which means you'd have access to the Tim Horton's cards. Might be a less expensive way to get that fix while largely completing a set.

Appreciate the response, for me, I think it's almost all about the excitement of cracking packs.....and quite a few have recommended the UD 1/2 etc, I'm actually in Ontario, between Barrie and Toronto, username was youth hockey back in California.....

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
Question, how do the Tim Hortons cards compare to regular Upper Deck cards? Same quality? Would the cards be of more or less value in the future?

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Just curious, would you sell the Canvas Vilardi YG?

Unfortunately not. It was the only descent card I pulled from 4 boxes lol. As a general rule I don't sell Young Guns until I have a better idea of what the long term value of a player will be. Vilardi has too much potential to move right now.

Reactions: Rorschach

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Half off sale at Walmart on 2019/20 S1 Mega blasters:

2019-20 Upper Deck Series 1 Hockey Mega Box- 8 Cards per Pack | 10 Packs per Box | 1 94-95 Rookie Die cut Tribute Pack per Box | Walmart Canada

I really need to settle down with my retail purchases...in the last 2 weeks bought:

20 blasters 2019/20 S2
20 mega blasters 2019/20 S1
10 mega blasters 2020/21 S1
12 tins 2020/21 S1

So far the only arrival is 20 blasters 2019/20 S2. Finally pulled my first Makar! Pulled 2 Makars, 1 Mrzlikens, 2 Hayton, and 1 Gusev. This was a sealed case, that had a lot of doubles. I hadn't been able to pull any Hayton, Gusev, or Makar before, but had multiple Kakko and Suzukis. The YGs must come in batches together.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I won some Manon Rheaume cards on ebay. I pretty much spend my money on her, Lindsay, O'Ree and the majority of it on Roy

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Appreciate the response, for me, I think it's almost all about the excitement of cracking packs.....and quite a few have recommended the UD 1/2 etc, I'm actually in Ontario, between Barrie and Toronto, username was youth hockey back in California.....
Ah I was assuming Alberta Golden Bears. If it's cracking packs with some money recap potential while not unloading tons of cash, those ones are a decent option. I've just never personally been a big fan of them product wise.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Half off sale at Walmart on 2019/20 S1 Mega blasters:

2019-20 Upper Deck Series 1 Hockey Mega Box- 8 Cards per Pack | 10 Packs per Box | 1 94-95 Rookie Die cut Tribute Pack per Box | Walmart Canada

I really need to settle down with my retail purchases...in the last 2 weeks bought:

20 blasters 2019/20 S2
20 mega blasters 2019/20 S1
10 mega blasters 2020/21 S1
12 tins 2020/21 S1

So far the only arrival is 20 blasters 2019/20 S2. Finally pulled my first Makar! Pulled 2 Makars, 1 Mrzlikens, 2 Hayton, and 1 Gusev. This was a sealed case, that had a lot of doubles. I hadn't been able to pull any Hayton, Gusev, or Makar before, but had multiple Kakko and Suzukis. The YGs must come in batches together.
All out of stock it appears.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Are Manon Rheaume cards worth decent money? Not seeing a lot of value in them. Do you foresee an increase?

I think they will go up. I'm not spending/buying the ridiculous ones, but I got about 20, or so basic ones of hers, 2 autos and 2 jersey cards along with one graded numbered /2000 on the way. A little collection, but not anything overly crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad