Hockey Cards - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Derek Jeter once said at a signing a certain company, I won't say which one but they produce alot of hockey, placed a stack full of jerseys in front of him, made him swipe his hand down the front of each one, then they were labeled player worn.

A basketball player also verified the exact same story.

If a jersey card doesn't give you the exact date and game when the jersey was used, it's not game used.

UD created cards of the net from the infamous 17 seconds Blackhawks/Bruins Cup game. Those cards command a pretty penny because.... they're game used. If a common player had a jersey card that could be tracked to a certain game, that card would command decent money, because the card companies would have to pay decent money to get them. They're wouldn't be alot of them, either unless the piece was the size of a thumb nail.

So when you pull that Bobby Orr jersey from a 20/21 pack, just know the chances are better they're a knock off jersey from China than an actual, authentic jersey from a game he played in

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Rorschach and KBIB you 2 totally hit the nail on the head. The jersey/patches they use in modern sets are a complete JOKE.

Speaking of Trilogy Rorschach, I actually started trying to build the 03-04 Trilogy Auto set ever since I pulled the Ray Bourque auto out of a trilogy pack. I didn't care the autos were not hard signed and the white insert the auto is on is kind of tacky, I think it looks damn nice and non hard signed auto sets just mean cards in better conditions. And the players in the set/the price for them on the secondary market are awesome for set building. I am a young teen pulling a freakin RAY BOURQUE Auto out of a mid tier priced pack (~20-30 bucks a pack? Do any of you remember what 03-04 Trilogy packs cost back then? I remember that set also had the weird team patch cards, like I pulled a Don Cherry Bruins patch card or some shit back then too.) When you are a kid with a limited budget, and within a couple week time frame you are pulling a Ray Bourque auto, A Mario Lemieux actual GU jersey card /99 and then an Eric Staal Puck Auto RC /299 out of Luxury Suite right out of the pack and not thru ebay were the best feeling I have had in cards. Along with the Ed Belfour GU Stick card and Marty Brodeur Auto out of the 00-01 Topps Premier Plus box my parents bought me that only was like 40-50 bucks at the time, maybe a little less. Knowing these cards of legit HoFers or future HoFers are ...while not worthless, but compared to the price of the product it came out of is pretty much what you can call it. That is why I started the Trilogy Script Auto set collection. Instead of spending hundreds on packs or boxes I can go on ebay, and spend about 10 bucks on a Denis Potvin Trilogy Auto. A HoF, top 5 dman EVER auto and you can barely get a combo meal from McDonalds for the cost it goes for. Same with Michael Goulet, Marcel Dionne, Grant Fuhr, Ted Lindsay and a few others, all again bought super cheap. If I ever do get the itch with hockey cards again the only/first thing I am doing is finishing that entire script three auto set. Just the all time greats in that set is just breathtaking. Having autos of Johnny Bucyk, Mike Bossy, Michel Goulet, Phil Espo,Ted Lindsay and Jari Kurri is awesome, especially since ths cost of having over a dozen autos of HoFers cost me less then what a box of a mid range box costs now a days. Unfortunately most of the autos I am missing are the big ones...the ones that WILL cost a bunch. The Gretzky ones, the Bobby Orr, Gordie Howe,Scotty Bowman , Don Cherry etc. These ones will cost way way more then what the first 15 or so cost me.

I just don't know how the sports card market is not only surviving but thriving. Seeing modern short print cards getting millions at auctions is insane. The prices on the majority of these sets are just crazy. I remember saving up all month so I could buy ONE pack of UD Premier Collection.I was I believe 14 or 15 at the time, walking into Dave and Adams to buy a pack of 03-04 UD Premier Collection for like $100 maybe a little less or more. Either way I had to bike a few miles to get there and was literally handing over a fortune for a high school freshman on a single pack. The entire ride there I was fantasizing that I was going to pull a Staal or MAF ARP /99 or even better, the coveted 1/1 Shield auto card of Gretz or Roy...shield cards like that was a unicorn back in that day, and my rationale was that I would either keep as the centerpiece of my collection or sell so I could buy more packs and boxes to do the same thing again (yes the naiveté of a young teen). After plunking down this $100 bucks for the pack or should I say box my hands were trembling. My pulls on that 100 dollar "pack" that included I believe FOUR cards was a Sergei Samsonov Premier Stars Patch /100, a Curtis Joseph Auto, a Chris Osgood base set card out of 399 and my rookie was of a total scrub who I couldn't even remember who even a couple years after let alone over 15.

For 100 god dang bucks, to only get 2 cards of any value and that was the Curtis Joseph Auto and a non auto Samsonov patch /100 was really upsetting. Those 2 cards sold back then OR now would be lucky to get back 5-10% of the price of the pack.

Would be nice if they could bring back or create a set similar to Luxury Suite or Titanium, a pack that only cost 20-30 at most but was guaranteed to have a hit. Be it a Jersey, Auto or Auto J/P. And to make it a hit with everyone, create a worthwhile checklist. Could you imagine 15 years ago spending THOUSANDS on packs of 05-06 The Cup and instead of a monster hit for the few grand you dropped, you end up with one color patches of such future stars like Brad Winchester, Jeff Woywitka, Jim Slater, Jordan Sigalet, Brandon Bochenski and all the other future HoFers? I feel bad for the countless people that it happened to.

Reactions: DaveG and Rorschach

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
Anyone know anything about soccer (or Fútbol as the kids say) cards? Specifically, I’m curious about the Messi mega cracks that’s now bananas prices. Anyone know what the difference is between #71 and #71bis?

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
I bought six loose packs at my LCS today- 2x 18-19 Series 2, 2x 19-20 Series 1, and 2x 19-20 Series 2.

20201024_144108.jpg

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Derek Jeter once said at a signing a certain company, I won't say which one but they produce alot of hockey, placed a stack full of jerseys in front of him, made him swipe his hand down the front of each one, then they were labeled player worn.

A basketball player also verified the exact same story.

If a jersey card doesn't give you the exact date and game when the jersey was used, it's not game used.

UD created cards of the net from the infamous 17 seconds Blackhawks/Bruins Cup game. Those cards command a pretty penny because.... they're game used. If a common player had a jersey card that could be tracked to a certain game, that card would command decent money, because the card companies would have to pay decent money to get them. They're wouldn't be alot of them, either unless the piece was the size of a thumb nail.

So when you pull that Bobby Orr jersey from a 20/21 pack, just know the chances are better they're a knock off jersey from China than an actual, authentic jersey from a game he played in

Meh, it can be game used without having a date. I think you're confusing "player worn" with game worn. They're not the same thing. The cards are pretty clear whether they are or not and where they come from, regular or preseason etc or just "player worn". Like how basically all of the rookie jersey cards say they're from a photo shoot and not game worn.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I use to collect the Ice Kings set myself. Send me pictures of your cards and I'll help you out.

Thanks, but they are packed away at my parents house in Canada. Was thinking of digging them up next time I'm back. I actually had collected over 5000 cards, and got dozens autographed in person. Don't think any one card I have is worth all that much though.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
Meh, it can be game used without having a date. I think you're confusing "player worn" with game worn. They're not the same thing. The cards are pretty clear whether they are or not and where they come from, regular or preseason etc or just "player worn". Like how basically all of the rookie jersey cards say they're from a photo shoot and not game worn.
I don't believe anything written on the back of a card.

Unless the game is pin pointed, it's just a piece of cloth.

I think it was pacific that one year wrote which game the piece of jersey came from that caused alot of commotion back in the day. And to this day the cards from that set command good, not great money.

If you can say "this jersey relic came from a jersey played on X day" it would be alot easier to look into if the company, in this case in hockey, UD actually bought said jersey from that game.

You don't get that. You get a vague "the jersey on this card is game won. Enjoy your card" message that means nothing.

UD also doesn't have the best history with being trustworthy. There's rumors still floating around they re-started pressing 89 baseball in 1990, they re-started pressing that one card game cards and got caught doing it, etc.

I also find it odd there's alot more of last years series one UD out in the wild currently in retail when retail is impossible to find in every sport but hockey when there's three huge ticket cards in last years series one.

But that's just me.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
Rorschach and KBIB you 2 totally hit the nail on the head. The jersey/patches they use in modern sets are a complete JOKE.

Speaking of Trilogy Rorschach, I actually started trying to build the 03-04 Trilogy Auto set ever since I pulled the Ray Bourque auto out of a trilogy pack. I didn't care the autos were not hard signed and the white insert the auto is on is kind of tacky, I think it looks damn nice and non hard signed auto sets just mean cards in better conditions. And the players in the set/the price for them on the secondary market are awesome for set building. I am a young teen pulling a freakin RAY BOURQUE Auto out of a mid tier priced pack (~20-30 bucks a pack? Do any of you remember what 03-04 Trilogy packs cost back then? I remember that set also had the weird team patch cards, like I pulled a Don Cherry Bruins patch card or some shit back then too.) When you are a kid with a limited budget, and within a couple week time frame you are pulling a Ray Bourque auto, A Mario Lemieux actual GU jersey card /99 and then an Eric Staal Puck Auto RC /299 out of Luxury Suite right out of the pack and not thru ebay were the best feeling I have had in cards. Along with the Ed Belfour GU Stick card and Marty Brodeur Auto out of the 00-01 Topps Premier Plus box my parents bought me that only was like 40-50 bucks at the time, maybe a little less. Knowing these cards of legit HoFers or future HoFers are ...while not worthless, but compared to the price of the product it came out of is pretty much what you can call it. That is why I started the Trilogy Script Auto set collection. Instead of spending hundreds on packs or boxes I can go on ebay, and spend about 10 bucks on a Denis Potvin Trilogy Auto. A HoF, top 5 dman EVER auto and you can barely get a combo meal from McDonalds for the cost it goes for. Same with Michael Goulet, Marcel Dionne, Grant Fuhr, Ted Lindsay and a few others, all again bought super cheap. If I ever do get the itch with hockey cards again the only/first thing I am doing is finishing that entire script three auto set. Just the all time greats in that set is just breathtaking. Having autos of Johnny Bucyk, Mike Bossy, Michel Goulet, Phil Espo,Ted Lindsay and Jari Kurri is awesome, especially since ths cost of having over a dozen autos of HoFers cost me less then what a box of a mid range box costs now a days. Unfortunately most of the autos I am missing are the big ones...the ones that WILL cost a bunch. The Gretzky ones, the Bobby Orr, Gordie Howe,Scotty Bowman , Don Cherry etc. These ones will cost way way more then what the first 15 or so cost me.

I just don't know how the sports card market is not only surviving but thriving. Seeing modern short print cards getting millions at auctions is insane. The prices on the majority of these sets are just crazy. I remember saving up all month so I could buy ONE pack of UD Premier Collection.I was I believe 14 or 15 at the time, walking into Dave and Adams to buy a pack of 03-04 UD Premier Collection for like $100 maybe a little less or more. Either way I had to bike a few miles to get there and was literally handing over a fortune for a high school freshman on a single pack. The entire ride there I was fantasizing that I was going to pull a Staal or MAF ARP /99 or even better, the coveted 1/1 Shield auto card of Gretz or Roy...shield cards like that was a unicorn back in that day, and my rationale was that I would either keep as the centerpiece of my collection or sell so I could buy more packs and boxes to do the same thing again (yes the naiveté of a young teen). After plunking down this $100 bucks for the pack or should I say box my hands were trembling. My pulls on that 100 dollar "pack" that included I believe FOUR cards was a Sergei Samsonov Premier Stars Patch /100, a Curtis Joseph Auto, a Chris Osgood base set card out of 399 and my rookie was of a total scrub who I couldn't even remember who even a couple years after let alone over 15.

For 100 god dang bucks, to only get 2 cards of any value and that was the Curtis Joseph Auto and a non auto Samsonov patch /100 was really upsetting. Those 2 cards sold back then OR now would be lucky to get back 5-10% of the price of the pack.

Would be nice if they could bring back or create a set similar to Luxury Suite or Titanium, a pack that only cost 20-30 at most but was guaranteed to have a hit. Be it a Jersey, Auto or Auto J/P. And to make it a hit with everyone, create a worthwhile checklist. Could you imagine 15 years ago spending THOUSANDS on packs of 05-06 The Cup and instead of a monster hit for the few grand you dropped, you end up with one color patches of such future stars like Brad Winchester, Jeff Woywitka, Jim Slater, Jordan Sigalet, Brandon Bochenski and all the other future HoFers? I feel bad for the countless people that it happened to.
Well, there's what, 54 confirmed Honus Wagner's out there. How many have been tampered? I'll bet more then half of them.

You can get a legit 9.5 Trout that's 100% a 9.5 and I can see why people want to spend on current cards instead of vintage.

Don't agree with it, but I see the logic.

Hamilton Tiger

Oct 17, 2020
I picked up this card two weeks back. First came across one at auction ten years ago and been looking for my own ever since. It's an 1889 cigarette card from the Allen and Ginter's World Sovereigns series. When making their card for Canada, they chose the Governor General (who was Lord Stanley at the time) rather than the Prime Minister John A. MacDonald. To my knowledge, it's the only "card" of Lord Stanley during his tenure as Governor General. I'm working on a collection of cards of every HHOF player and builder who had a card during their active career. I'm up to 257 cards, several dating back to the 1910s-1930's, but this is the oldest by far.

LordStanley.jpg

dre2112

Jul 17, 2007
US and A
You and I are on the same boat sailing the same direction of toward the isle of hobby common sense.
I forgive rookie year jersey/patch cards of event/photo shoot worn because the player has no NHL games at the time of manufacture...but they irritate the hell out of me when it's a player with a ton of games and it almost always seems to happen in a product that's like $40 to $400 a pack.

Back in 05-06 to 07-08, I used to open a lot of UD Trilogy. I loved the thick acetate plexi cards, especially when they were hard-signed. One thing the hobby was clueless on was that the set had a lot of single swatch jersey cards, just like UD base brand. But what was lost on most in the hobby was the Trilogy set's jersey card player list had a lot of old-timer and current all stars in the checklist and almost all of the cards, including the retired stars, were game-worn jersey swatches. The UD base brand jerseys, over half were rookie photo shoot or current players of marginal stardom. But the hobby treated them all like single swatch junk jersey cards.

A single jersey swatch from a vintage, pre-97, game used jersey from a recognizable player should be worth like a starting price of $20 and for a player like Orr-caliber, should be like $100, almost on par with a hard-signed auto. Because they are that rare. A player can keep signing even when retired but he can't go back to the 70s to play another game in another jersey and back then, they would keep repairing the same jersey, not change jerseys in between periods nowadays to make dozens more "game used" jerseys to satisfy fan and card manufacturer jerseys.

I once got an all-star jersey swatch for Gordie Howe from a game in the 70s or 80s out of a UD retro product. The card is probably worth like $30 but I treasure it like a $300 card. It wouldn't surprise me if the UD rep had to fight ole Gordie to get the jersey, lol.

For current rookie RPA cards that have patches, to me the patch is worthless...it's about if the card is hard-signed autographed, how limited it might be and most importantly, is it a brand-significant rookie card.

I also find it hilarious that in rookie year cards, the memorabilia is 100% photoshoot garbage with additional stitched on letters on the jerseys to create more patches, then magically these same rookies now have guaranteed "Game used" memorabilia in their 2nd year cards. There is not a chance in hell that UD uses up all the photoshoot jerseys on their cards, trashes what they didn't use and then re-purchases game used jerseys in the following years of the same players.

Reactions: La Cosa Nostra

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I also find it hilarious that in rookie year cards, the memorabilia is 100% photoshoot garbage with additional stitched on letters on the jerseys to create more patches, then magically these same rookies now have guaranteed "Game used" memorabilia in their 2nd year cards. There is not a chance in hell that UD uses up all the photoshoot jerseys on their cards, trashes what they didn't use and then re-purchases game used jerseys in the following years of the same players.

They do use them in future releases. In 05-06, they had a lot of these photo shoot jerseys. They used them for various products including the UD S2 Rookie Threads and the Rookie Update Jersey cards that year. Then the next year’s product, 06-07 Be A Player Portraits, they used up the jersey swatches in those one-per-pack jersey cards...they were described as photo shoot.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Last edited:

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Anybody got an extra $1 Million for the OPC card ???? How about just $400 Grand for the Topps card ???? :dunno:

Gretzky OPC Rookie PSA Graded 10 Gem Mint up for Auction: 1979 O-Pee-Chee Wayne Gretzky #18 Rookie PSA Gem Mint 10--Population Two! He own | Heritage Auctions

lf

Gretzky Topps Rookie PSA Graded 10 Gem Mint up for Auction:1979 Topps Wayne Gretzky #18 Rookie PSA Gem Mint 10--Population Two! While the O | Heritage Auctions

lf

I really need to get mine graded. Very good shape but who knows how they'd grade it?

Is it just me or does the edge not look very good? I know that was a common problem with the OPC but mine look better than that picture (edges, not comparing rest as not in front of me).

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I really need to get mine graded. Very good shape but who knows how they'd grade it?

Is it just me or does the edge not look very good? I know that was a common problem with the OPC but mine look better than that picture (edges, not comparing rest as not in front of me).

For a card like this of this magnitude, I would def grade it and def go PSA. For certain releases like OPC, they relax on certain flaws if the whole print run has those flaws.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Anybody got an extra $1 Million for the OPC card ???? How about just $400 Grand for the Topps card ???? :dunno:

Gretzky OPC Rookie PSA Graded 10 Gem Mint up for Auction: 1979 O-Pee-Chee Wayne Gretzky #18 Rookie PSA Gem Mint 10--Population Two! He own | Heritage Auctions

lf

Gretzky Topps Rookie PSA Graded 10 Gem Mint up for Auction:1979 Topps Wayne Gretzky #18 Rookie PSA Gem Mint 10--Population Two! While the O | Heritage Auctions

lf

Obviously, wouldn't drop that cash on those. Although anyone who's ever bought them has made a lot of cash on them. They are gorgeous cards. Even love the slight rough cut on that OPC. Let's you know it wasn't sheet cut.

I got my two Topps graded. They were a little off-centre. BGS 7 and 7.5.

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
Apparently Laf is in series 1.. But yeah I'd prefer an official announcement.
Man series 1 looks brutal not gunna lie. Laf would save it if what you're hearing is right. I was super pumped to get this years series one but that lack of any official announcements has been a let down.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
For a card like this of this magnitude, I would def grade it and def go PSA. For certain releases like OPC, they relax on certain flaws if the whole print run has those flaws.
Yeah it just surprises me they'd give a 10 with those edges. No guarantees on my other categories but my edges are definitely better.

Just to the naked eye the left/right centering looks off too.

Techcoockie

Feb 3, 2020
Mtl
I got a full 1945-1946 Red wings, full team signature on a restaurant menu that my Grandfather gave me.

do you guys know if it's any worth ?

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Yeah it just surprises me they'd give a 10 with those edges. No guarantees on my other categories but my edges are definitely better.

Just to the naked eye the left/right centering looks off too.

Centering is correct. The right side looks bigger due to the "rough edge". All OPC cards from that era have that rough edge, as OPC used wires to cut the cards. PSA takes into account technology used to create cards.

The rough cut is really an acquired taste. For me, it brings back the old days of having gum in the cards.

One thing that's always bothered me about the Gretzky rookie is the standard for centering. IMO, the picture should be in the middle, which means that white stripe on the right side should take up most of the right border, with only a bit of blue on the right. Instead, the standard of perfection is more or less equal blue on both sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad