Hockey Canada should be accountable

wishywashy19

Dec 14, 2011
Problem is Canada players plays mostly at junior league teams. They need to change it maybe send best to AHL. Canada just cant play that fast against guys who grows with mens hockey. shaked knees cant skate

That is the talk that needs to continue
We need to force change
On that subject, why do all the non Canadians have to play CHL while Americans and Euros play AHL
Or take next years 2000 players form a team to play upscale pro or U sport teams starting in the fall and ready them for the WJC

wishywashy19

Dec 14, 2011
They really have. The USNTDP is the best in the world for developing high end hockey talent. Hockey Canada needs to get back to being innovators and actually encouraging growth from it's pool of players rather than just (mis)managing it. Ask yourself if the training staff, facilities, coaching, and skill development would really be better as a 16-19 year old playing for a rinky dink Junior team out of Medicine Hat or for a federally funded program surrounded by peers of the highest skill level. There's no comparison. Canada will always have a strong base as the popularity of the game is very pronounced here, but for fostering the cream of that crop to take the steps needed in that earliest stages of development it lags behind.

You are on to it

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Top four scorers on Team Canada

#27th pick
#50th pick
#6 pick
Not drafted

Call a spade, a spade... this team didn't quite have the high end talent, that Canada often sends to these tournaments. We've gone through a couple of years. where Canadian forwards, haven't featured strongly at the top of the draft. This should be no surprise.

This. We are really in a talent development low point, it has been apparent for years. The McDavid of this world can't change the fact that the development of our top 50 U20 player , is progressing a lot less than others countries.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
At the Hlinka Gretzky Cup, Canada has won 11 out of the last 12 times. That tournament is the U18 best on best tournament for every country aside from USA (they don't send their NTDP players). This tournament has only been held in North America twice ever which makes the success even more interesting considering Canada struggles on big ice at the U20.

At the World U17 Hockey Challenge, Canada is 3 for 5 at sending a team to the GMG since the new format for HC (3 equal teams compared to 5 territorial teams). That's a fair result IMO.

The success at lower levels hasn't translated to the U20s for some reason. The NHL players shouldn't have a significant impact on the team, especially lately since other countries are also starting to lose players to the NHL.

stonec

Nov 21, 2011
The better hockey the better.

Now we are deep in an era of anti-hockey, trap, dumping the puck and not making mistakes. Terrible to watch. The game was more exciting before even with all the clutching grabbing hooking, at least the game wasn't all about not making mistakes, everyone now plays the trap, everyone dumps the puck. Awful to watch.

No it wasn't, at least not the games I watched in the mid to late 90's and early 2000's. The speed and skill involved in the game, both in terms of skating and execution is much higher today than it has ever been. Trap has always been used in certain situations, but no successful team can rely on trap and defense only in 2019 like Devils in the mid 90's, to be successful requires applying constant pressure on both ends of the ice.

stonec

Nov 21, 2011
Finland had more than enough players with the "small ice experience" to negate the so-called "advantage". The Juniors is nothing more than an international audition and preview for the NHL coaches and managers. Europeans have no problem coming over and adjusting to the different ice surfaces because that is part of the job.

I don't fully agree. If we take for example my country Finland, the success in the small rink has been abysmal for us historically. The only time we got a medal (bronze) in the small rink was in 2006 with massive luck and Tuukka Rasks's incredible saves. Jussi Ahokas, current head coach, said that small rink requires a different style of game and that it will be a big challenge.

Yes, it is possible to adjust and this time it went better for us, but I still hold the view that Canada had an advantage from the rink, the same way as the European rink is an advantage for us. I don't think it's a coincidence that Canada exited without medals the last three times the U20 finals were played in Europe (2013,2014,2016).

Reactions: behemolari

IDuck

Sep 26, 2007
im sure this doesnt want to be heard in here but i said it in the GDT after the loss....hockey canada's downfall will be its "pride", and i get it....its tough to say "we have been going at this wrong" and "what can we learn from others, that we can use for ourselves" when you believe you are the standard and its your game...As a usa hockey coach its nice bring kids up in a developmental model oppossed to a competitive model...I guess we were lucky as a country that we were able to stop and look at the finns and swedes and say "how do 2 countrys with that size of players playing the game, be able to compete the way they do?"....ADM was born, the next phase is now in place, which is we dont want to develop just good hockey players, we want to develop good athletes (see how the finns and swedes are as succesful as they are)... Canada has everything they need already in place but will they take a look inside and make changes?

member 305909

I guess that for Canadians it is a question of that a defeat in front of the home-crowd is more bitter than a defeat else where.

The same goes for victories. For Canada winning in Vancouver was super-sweet when as winning in Sochi was meh. Or so it seemed.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
We lost in the QFs of a U20 tournament to a Finland team who could very well win gold. I'm not heartbroken by it, and people should stop freaking out over the results of this tournament.

Sure, I'd love to have seen Canada win gold in Vancouver, again, but wasn't meant to be this time. We won gold last year, came up short in the GMG in a shootout in 2017 and won gold in 2015. It's not like the 98-04 drought.

If we start getting bounced in the quarters of Olympic tournaments (with NHL players) or World Cups (as gimmicky as they might be) then I'll start to worry.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
No it wasn't, at least not the games I watched in the mid to late 90's and early 2000's. The speed and skill involved in the game, both in terms of skating and execution is much higher today than it has ever been. Trap has always been used in certain situations, but no successful team can rely on trap and defense only in 2019 like Devils in the mid 90's, to be successful requires applying constant pressure on both ends of the ice.
What speed and skill? Avoiding mistakes, playing the trap, dumping the puck are the three basic of today's hockey. Speed yes players can skate fast but they mostly don't use it, and skills? Tim Hunter's Team Canada showed skills to you? Canadians were reacting like idiots whern Czech-Russia played the 2000 trap final, the first time, nowadays everybody plays like this and worse, but the networks don't want to talk about it. They even zoom on the defenseman behind the goal when the trap is done...

Until probably 5-10 years ago it was still, we're gonna score one more than you in the U20, now it's the same as in nhl, let's not make any mistakes... Awful to watch.

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
We lost in the QFs of a U20 tournament to a Finland team who could very well win gold. I'm not heartbroken by it, and people should stop freaking out over the results of this tournament.

Sure, I'd love to have seen Canada win gold in Vancouver, again, but wasn't meant to be this time. We won gold last year, came up short in the GMG in a shootout in 2017 and won gold in 2015. It's not like the 98-04 drought.

If we start getting bounced in the quarters of Olympic tournaments (with NHL players) or World Cups (as gimmicky as they might be) then I'll start to worry.

No, yesterdays/today's losses will translate to tomorrows losses, we cant wait till tomorrows loss. We need to address the issues now, and there certainly are issues

There is no way we will be able to dominate tomorrows olympics (dont tell me one man show Mcdavid, as you can see for the oilers yourself)

Reactions: Pouchkine

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Tim Hunter-types should never coach our national teams.

Especially those most known for being Ron Wilson cronies.

When's the last time we had a young, analytics-minded coach of Canada? We treat our head coaching decisions like we're choosing generals.

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
Tim Hunter-types should never coach our national teams.

Especially those most known for being Ron Wilson cronies.

When's the last time we had a young, analytics-minded coach of Canada? We treat our head coaching decisions like we're choosing generals.

Team Canada picks coaches as a given, thinking that any coach will do...this no longer holds true...coaching appointments are not a favor to be handed out but need to be earned by the coaching staff...this is all about who you know and until this changes we should get used to these types of results

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
Tim hunter type of coaches are dinosaurs

hockey is about the young, the new blood, this is what we need at top hockey Canada, tom renney needs to go...bring in some young talent, there are many

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
HC needs to revamp from top down....

There is a trend going on

1. its becoming harder to beat the USA, they have our number and its showing in WJC and it just started in the world championship last year

We need to get our heads out of the sand

2. the new trend is that its becoming harder to beat the Russians

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Every time the team has lost ita because of bad coaching. Stop giving jobs to dinosaurs and watch Canada thrive. The old boys club should be buried by now.

member 305909

It's also that unlike the senior IIHF worlds the Junior-tournament gets a lot of media-coverage in Canada.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
I just read the team didn't practice at all during the tournament. not even on off days. the late afternoon start time and players tired were the reasons given by the coaching staff for not having morning on ice sessions. Great decision there coach. the PP could have used some work.

lesson to Hockey Canada. next time you have a tournament on the west coast play the evening game PST and forget primetime viewership EST.

Do you think Hockey Canada learns this lesson or will they still just continue to cater to TSN and their corporate sponsors?

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
No, yesterdays/today's losses will translate to tomorrows losses, we cant wait till tomorrows loss. We need to address the issues now, and there certainly are issues

There is no way we will be able to dominate tomorrows olympics (dont tell me one man show Mcdavid, as you can see for the oilers yourself)

By this logic, the 98-04 drought should have translated to disasters in 2002, the 2004 WC and 2010. A group of kids getting together only once for 3 weeks in December isn't going to dictate our senior level results.

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
By this logic, the 98-04 drought should have translated to disasters in 2002, the 2004 WC and 2010. A group of kids getting together only once for 3 weeks in December isn't going to dictate our senior level results.

you need to look on the overall trend...its the trend

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
I don't fully agree. If we take for example my country Finland, the success in the small rink has been abysmal for us historically. The only time we got a medal (bronze) in the small rink was in 2006 with massive luck and Tuukka Rasks's incredible saves. Jussi Ahokas, current head coach, said that small rink requires a different style of game and that it will be a big challenge.

Yes, it is possible to adjust and this time it went better for us, but I still hold the view that Canada had an advantage from the rink, the same way as the European rink is an advantage for us. I don't think it's a coincidence that Canada exited without medals the last three times the U20 finals were played in Europe (2013,2014,2016).

this. euros does always lot better in europe, anything else is nonsense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad