Hockey Canada should be accountable

chauron

Jan 5, 2014
I am not canadian so can you briefly describe why ther Hockey canada wouldnt be kept responsible?

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Shoot the puck at the net and quit trying to "dangle" so much.

We can be "cute" but that doesn't mean we should be all the time.

Play hockey and quit with the fluff.

blindpass

May 7, 2010
It's a business decision and I get that, still the fact that the top domestic pro league in the world financially supports only one countries hockey program is more then a little greasy and sort of corrupt, the fact that U.S.A hockey may little revenue streams(though this is difficult to accept for me considering how rich the U.S is, hard to believe they are strapped for cash in anything athletics related) is solely their responsibility to work out, not the N.H.L's, at least it shouldn't be.

It's a loading the dice situation for one country, not what the N.H.L should be about IMO.

If they were doing that only for Canada I would be more then a little sheepish about that as a fan, I wouldn't feel good about it. I would know we would be getting favoured and provided with an edge no one else is provided with and that is not what athletics is supposed to be about, pro leagues shouldn't be about that.

I mean, what's next? FIFA starts pouring massive money into the U.S football program so they can get up to speed in football and win a few world cups?

But I get why they are doing it..................the almighty dollar, you can't talk sportsmanship and morals with owners, they are all about the buck.
Can you link me to something describing the NHL contribution to USA hockey (beyond propping up NHL teams in currently unviable markets)? Not doubting it, I'd just like to know more.

Sigismund

Feb 17, 2012
So? the tournament only became big in Finland when they saw they could finally win it and have a real chance for Gold most years. If that hadn't happened they would be saying the same thing they used to say about the tournament..........................that it's just a nothing junior tournament. But
of course now it's "important" and a measuring stick of the respective strength of each countries program. Funny how that works eh?

So I think you can get off your high horse about what Canadians think about the tournament, just enjoy your current moment in the sun.

Yes, you can think that way too. But have you thought that actually the Finns were not as well prepared for the tournament before, the emphasis was elsewhere.

For the last 6-7 years the Finnish junior national team has finally had a coach who is not only there to learn to coach. In addition the juniors are being prepared for the tournament in a different manner than before.

But yes, the Finnish youngsters are much better than 10 years ago, so obviously when we're succeeding the tournaments get more interesting. But ain't that kinda normal?

We have more NHL players than ever, and when you add to that the fact that the Finns have for the last 20-30 years competed quite well even without star players in the international tournaments - there you go. Now we have also the much needed talent as well, so quite frankly said: it shouldn't be such a surprise that the Finnish juniors have won the championship three times within the last six years.

So, once again: we won, get over it.

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
When you lose on a consistent basis to midget countries in comparison to Canada as hockey nations there's something seriously wrong with the coaching and the way the junior teams are managed. Under normal conditions, Canada wins the games at least 15/20 times.

blindpass

May 7, 2010
Yes, you can think that way too. But have you thought that actually the Finns were not as well prepared for the tournament before, the emphasis was elsewhere.

For the last 6-7 years the Finnish junior national team has finally had a coach who is not only there to learn to coach. In addition the juniors are being prepared for the tournament in a different manner than before.

But yes, the Finnish youngsters are much better than 10 years ago, so obviously when we're succeeding the tournaments get more interesting. But ain't that kinda normal?

We have more NHL players than ever, and when you add to that the fact that the Finns have for the last 20-30 years competed quite well even without star players in the international tournaments - there you go. Now we have also the much needed talent as well, so quite frankly said: it shouldn't be such a surprise that the Finnish juniors have won the championship three times within the last six years.

Why so ugly about it?

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Can you link me to something describing the NHL contribution to USA hockey (beyond propping up NHL teams in currently unviable markets)? Not doubting it, I'd just like to know more.
I'll try but i'm not the best at finding this stuff, I'm an old timer and don't have the best working knowledge of doing things with computers.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia

I was over it before you guys even won,lol.

I never have been anything but complimentary about what is going down with Finnish hockey lately, you've got the wrong guy here pal, go check my posts concerning your hockey here, you will see. Now SOME of their fans,(like some fans from everywhere) like you for instance, they can be difficult just as you have been here.

Bottom line, don't go on about our "fact twisting" or what this tournament means when you and loads of your fans also do the exact same thing in great numbers.

blindpass

May 7, 2010
I'll try but i'm not the best at finding this stuff, I'm an old timer and don't have the best working knowledge of doing things with computers.

Financials

So the NHL donates 9 million dollars+ per year, which is USA Hockey's biggest source of revenue.

I couldn't find equivalently transparent number for Hockey Canada, but the NHL is listed as a funding source.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The title of this thread, is that Hockey Canada needs to be 'accountable' for the results of this tournament. 'Accountable' for what exactly? Hockey is just a game played on a sheet of ice, with skates and sticks.

There's absolutely no reason why other countries shouldn't and haven't caught up. Frankly if it were based on population, the U.S. and Russia should be light years ahead of anyone else.

Of course the trouble with judging the results of the WJC, is that often the best junior-aged players aren't even in this tournament. They're still playing for NHL teams and aren't being released. I think their first two years in the NHL, Connor McDavid and Jack Eichel were actually eligible for this tournament. But good luck with that.

So in the grand scheme of things, I'm really not sure the WJC is a 'measuring stick' for much.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Financials

So the NHL donates 9 million dollars+ per year, which is USA Hockey's biggest source of revenue. Canada's a steady guaranteed market. No need to invest there when there's so much more growth potential in the US.

Not a conspiracy theorist, but the 25 year string of US cup winners is statistically very improbable, ~(24/30)^25 which is less than 1 in 250.
Would not count on this always being the case, and the N.H.L's attitude towards Canada vis a vis the U.S is certainly not going to help, it's something they take for granted but shouldn't.

the 25 year strong of cup winners is just an anomaly IMO, I don't believe for a second anything nefarious is going on, it's just the way it's worked out.

Still, on moral grounds, no single countries development program should be getting funded by the N.H.L. Of course it's a business and they don't do these things on moral grounds, they do it on money grounds. Still, the U.S is the last country that should be getting this exclusive help, they have all they need and more to do it strictly on their own, look at Little old Finland who just won, they didn't get or ask for or accept handouts to get where they are, they did it all by themselves and on their own backs and that is the way it should be, especially if you are the most powerful nation on earth.

It's not ethical.

Last edited:

blindpass

May 7, 2010
Would not count on this always being the case, and the N.H.L's attitude towards Canada vis a vis the U.S is certainly not going to help, it's something they take for granted but shouldn't.

the 25 year strong of cup winners is just an anomaly IMO, I don't believe for a second anything nefarious is going on, it's just the way it's worked out.

Still, on moral grounds, no single countries development program should be getting funded by the N.H.L. Of course it's a business and they don't do these things on moral grounds, they do it on money grounds. Still, the U.S is the last country that should be getting this exclusive help, they have all they need and more to do it strictly on their own, look at Little old Finland who just won, they didn't get or ask for or accept handouts to get where they are, they did it all by themselves and on their own backs and that is the way it should be, especially if you are the most powerful nation on earth.

It's not ethical.
I revised my post after you replied because it looks like the NHL might also fund Hockey Canada. Couldn't find any numbers though.

I think 1/250 strongly suggests something systematic. Nefarious? I don't know, but if it was going the other way I'm sure it would be addressed.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I revised my post after you replied because it looks like the NHL might also find Hockey Canada. Couldn't find any numbers though.
Well if they do it's wrong is all I can say.

I call it straight down the middle, the N.H.L doing this doesn't fly ethically.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
There was a unique series of events that had to go against Canada to lose that game against Finland.

They nursed it well, but when you nurse leads, you are leaving yourself susceptible to bad bounces, which is what happened.

I'd rather the team dictate the play and go for the 2nd goal, rather than defending the one goal lead, if that makes sense.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
Every year it's the same. Observers try to extrapolate the results of this tournament with the broader issues of which nation is ascending and which is descending. First off, this is a tournament for basically 19-year old hockey players. And it's often the case that some of the best players in that age group aren't even playing. I believe McDavid was eligible for this tournament during his first two NHL seasons.

With the NHl getting younger, more and more teams aren't releasing players for this tournament. So the WJC is basically a tournament for 'some 19-year olds'. This year's Finnish team for example has five players on NHL teams who weren't released by their NHL teams to play.

More and more, this tournaments means nothing in terms of assessing the strength of national programs. The TSN hype machine would like you think otherwise. I don't even think the NHL scouts are placing much emphasis on this tournament anymore because most of them are already drafted. And if history is any guide, many will top out as either AHL players or bound for Europe.

So the WJC is much ado about nothing imo.
Your last two paragraphs pretty much nailed it. When TSN started broadcasting this in the late 80s they were struggling for content and this was the only tournament other than the odd Canada Cup, that Canada could generally send its best.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
TSN has everything to do with the fact the other countries are into it. They produce all 31 games and are host broadcaster everywhere. They have made available every game for broadcast that never was available before. "Its just really compelling hockey." To a degree, sure, but is someone from TSN really going to say otherwise? A lot of hockey is compelling, but only some of it makes it on the front page and takes up how many hours of programming(TSN replays these games over airing something happening live at many points during the year. Why would they do that?)

Hockey Canada is the same organization that would not allow kids from a local hockey association to skate in between periods at the under-17 event here a couple years ago. "insurance" was the BS reason given, but it was because they did not want an "outlaw" league(read, don't pay the tribute) to have any benefit. HC, thanks in no small part to TSN's money(which conveniently they never announce any amounts that I could find when they announce the "strengthening of their partnerships), is fast heading down the path of the IOC or FIFA as opposed to the benevolent organization you seem to think they are. Like several non-profit organizations, there's lots of fluff in their annual report they publish, but I don't see much in the way of financials.

Lots of money to HC means good things for those on the inside of HC. but that's a very different thing from the success of hockey in Canada.
Your last paragraph says it all. If you want some good reading go to the HC website and read their annual report and financials. I check a few years ago and almost 1/2 the budget goes to elite programs and admin.

4thlineduster

Jan 6, 2012
The title of this thread, is that Hockey Canada needs to be 'accountable' for the results of this tournament. 'Accountable' for what exactly? Hockey is just a game played on a sheet of ice, with skates and sticks.

There's absolutely no reason why other countries shouldn't and haven't caught up. Frankly if it were based on population, the U.S. and Russia should be light years ahead of anyone else.

Of course the trouble with judging the results of the WJC, is that often the best junior-aged players aren't even in this tournament. They're still playing for NHL teams and aren't being released. I think their first two years in the NHL, Connor McDavid and Jack Eichel were actually eligible for this tournament. But good luck with that.

So in the grand scheme of things, I'm really not sure the WJC is a 'measuring stick' for much.
Throw in the NHLers who weren’t released for this tourney and the Finns would have been absolute beasts.

4thlineduster

Jan 6, 2012

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
crap move by the Ice.

Hockey Canada circles the wagons. they do feel like they are above reproach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad