Hockey Canada should be accountable

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
they've coasted on their laurels for years.

Just because you're born in Canada doesn't make you the best hockey country on the world just due to that.

It's arrogance.

Reactions: DavidLamb and Mehar

Bonham

Nov 24, 2008
Victoria, BC
Hockey is a very unpredictable sport. In a single elimination format things do not always go as planned.

Combined that with the fact there are a number of strong countries that have a great shot at winning in any given year. It has been a number of years since I have been overly impressed with Canada's roster, but also have to give credit to the talent being produced in other nations. All in all, it is great for the sport.

When it comes to top-end talent, I am still pretty happy with where Canada stands.

Old Watcher

Dec 30, 2018
Yes? Media has an incredible amount of influence on the average person's view of the world after all. It shapes rhetoric and can single handily generate misconceptions that people think as gospel truth (ie immigrants taking all your domestic jobs).

And that statement right there is proof you have a bit farther to go... Keep peeling that onion, ....and one day you'll get there.

Reactions: Hubie

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
they've coasted on their laurels for years.

Just because you're born in Canada doesn't make you the best hockey country on the world just due to that.

It's arrogance.
Well said. I am a proud Canadian, but even i get tired of TSN's Propaganda during this time of the year. In a single game elimination-
other countries like Finland, Russia, Sweden, and the USA, all can beat Canada in an one-game showdown. Hoping this early
QF exit lights a bit of fire under Hockey Canada to make some changes. They have coasted on their laurels for years.

Reactions: DavidLamb

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
And that statement right there is proof you have a bit farther to go... Keep peeling that onion, ....and one day you'll get there.

Wasn't quite sure how to interpret your statement but it is quite tiresome to keep peeling these outrageous amount of layers :P Figures why so many people are lazy and just don't bother peeling, they just see the onion peel :P

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
Lol..! Where do I start ? How is this Hockey Canada’s fault!? They do everything in their power to promote skill dev in our youngest players in part through use of LTD model and yet parents and minor hockey coaches in this country think they know the best way to develop skilled players . It’s a joke
Go compare 8 and 9 yearlod hockey in the GTA vs Finland/ Sweden . The difference is shocking
Hockey Canada opted to make one of their loyal old boy soldiers the coach instead of giving the job to somebody capable of doing the job. Hunter is nothing more than a Pat Quinn/Ron Wilson yes man who kissed the proper asses to get the gig. Instead of taking the best young coaching minds in Canada to put together a game plan they pick some dinosaur off the assistant coach scrap heap and he was clearly in over his head. This political decision torpedoed canada's chances in the tournament in a major way. Everyone knows Hunter blew the tournament in a huge way but nobody wants to say anything about it because he's an old school hockey hero to many people in power. I just read a Yahoo article about a coach in the WHL being fired for criticizing Hunter on twitter, we mustn't criticize or question our hockey overlords.

Tuoppi

Sep 9, 2016
Pori
I read an interview that the Finnish ice hockey federation doesn’t recommend players to go to Canadian junior leagues but to stay in Finland instead. Apparently there is too much travelling especially in the west and too little time to practice. They do recommend however going to Anerican college because Finland doesn’t have same kind of system to offer and there is time to practise and they get an education as well.

Tuoppi

Sep 9, 2016
Pori
Finns also play mens' games at an early age. So did Auston Matthews before he went to NHL.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Maybe if they didnt treat every loss like the worst thing that's ever happened in the history of Canadian hockey, there wouldn't be a mountain of pressure on the players every single year.

Pretty much this. People need to relax a bit here.

hockeyanalyst99

Dec 22, 2017
Next year tournament is in Europe, so based on the HC record in the last 10 years on bigger ice, it does not look good. Team Canada cannot skate and carry the puck like the Fins, Swedes, Russians, and Americans on bigger ice. It is tough luck for all the arrogant Canadian hockey fans.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Next year tournament is in Europe, so based on the HC record in the last 10 years on bigger ice, it does not look good. Team Canada cannot skate and carry the puck like the Fins, Swedes, Russians, and Americans on bigger ice. It is tough luck for all the arrogant Canadian hockey fans.
Because the Sochi Olympics and the World Championships from 2015-2017 never happened right :sarcasm: this narrative that Canadians cant play as well on the big ice as their competitors needs to stop. There's been more than enough Canadian success on tournaments held on big ice, you're just ignorant. Junior success at the international level doesn't translate to mens level success.

hockeyanalyst99

Dec 22, 2017
OH MY LORD, I GUESS I HAVE TO EXPLAIN AGAIN. ......

we are talking about IIHF world record here. But if you would like to defer to the subject of world junior success and the NHL sucess, i can put some light through your side. Just so you are not aware, in last few years, NHL teams drafting less Canadian born junior in the 1st round and in the entire draft selection. As the NHL is moving towards players with more skill and puck carrying ability, they have noticed that Swedish, Finish, American players are more suitable to be developed and drafted. This is the same trend which happened to Finn, Swede, American goalies who are more sought after. You will notice this trend being more prevalent for forwards. BUT THIS IS NOT THE SUBJECT THAT I WANT TO BRING UP. MOST CANADIANS ARE NOT EVEN AWARE OF THIS, but i just to want to bring it up. However, this is not the subject. The subject is simply world junior success in the last 10 years.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
OH MY LORD, I GUESS I HAVE TO EXPLAIN AGAIN. ......

we are talking about IIHF world record here. But if you would like to defer to the subject of world junior success and the NHL sucess, i can put some light through your side. Just so you are not aware, in last few years, NHL teams drafting less Canadian born junior in the 1st round and in the entire draft selection. As the NHL is moving towards players with more skill and puck carrying ability, they have noticed that Swedish, Finish, American players are more suitable to be developed and drafted. This is the same trend which happened to Finn, Swede, American goalies who are more sought after. You will notice this trend being more prevalent for forwards. BUT THIS IS NOT THE SUBJECT THAT I WANT TO BRING UP. MOST CANADIANS ARE NOT EVEN AWARE OF THIS, but i just to want to bring it up. However, this is not the subject. The subject is simply world junior success in the last 10 years.
Canadas skill and puck moving ability is as good as anyones, why does this myth persist in 2019?

You don't win back to back golds at the olympics on both big ice and small without your skill level being world class.

And what do you even care about any of this if you aren't a fan of Team Canada? to get some digs in?

I don't see any threads moaning about the lack of skill and puck moving players about Russia and they have been mostly underachieving for 40 years, Canada's record is far superior.

This thread is really for Canadian fans to discuss whether changes are needed at the top at Hockey Canada so as to improve, it was never intended as a thread so posters from other places could have fun telling us how bad we are (though i knew the second it got posted that is what would happen)

If you have anything to discuss about how the situation could be improved be my guest but if your posts are only to take cracks at us and say other countries are superior and we suck(which of course is not true) I see no reason for you to be here because you are off the topic of the thread and are simply here to badmouth.

this thread doesn't need what you are bringing.

Reactions: 13 others

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
If we're looking at development, world junior record in and of itself isn't the be all and end all. Canada had a hockey summit to fix development in the country in 1998 after recently coming off a run in which Canada won 7 of 8 WJC tournaments. It was the right move, and it happened because young Canadian players were not up to the expected standard despite their WJC success. Canada losing WJC tournaments when it is without a large contingent of its best players while other countries have everyone is also not particularly worrisome. The recent trend however is Canada losing, or just being one of the contending teams, while other countries are missing close to the equivalent or in some cases (like 2019) even bigger parts of their teams. That is something that shouldn't be acceptable for Hockey Canada. Canada's young players are successful in some cases but unsuccessful in many cases as well. I don't find that the ratio is good enough. A couple of breaks going Canada's way in a few WJC tournaments, as happened in the 90s, doesn't change that.

hockeyanalyst99

Dec 22, 2017
THE POINT THAT I AM TRYING TO MAKE IS HC SHOULD BE MORE ACCOUNTABLE , instead of sitting there and just say that the other top 4 competitors are catching up. They must be accountable and implement new measures such as a possible full time U17 national program which may gain support from the CHL since most 16 years old do not get the full ice time on CHL team anyway.

hockeyanalyst99

Dec 22, 2017
THE POINT THAT I AM TRYING TO MAKE IS HC SHOULD BE MORE ACCOUNTABLE , instead of sitting there and just say that the other top 4 competitors are catching up. They must be accountable and implement new measures such as a possible full time U17 national program which may gain support from the CHL since most 16 years old do not get the full ice time on CHL team anyway.

Let's support another summit, called 2019 hockey summit.

hockeyanalyst99

Dec 22, 2017
2 gold medals in the last 10 years, that is just not adequate. Please support for HC accountability and perhaps call for another summit.

DavidLamb

Nov 14, 2017
As i am reviewing TC games against Finland and Russia, i have to say that the Finns and Russian carry the puck a little bit better than TC. TC played with a little more intensity compared to the other 2 teams, Thank you to TaiwanHockey who made this available on Youtube. I do not live in Russia and Europe, but I do know that the other team top junior players get to play more games with men. I believe this is a significant factor in making their elite junior players better, and this ultimately helps their cause.

The CHL needs to make amendments to their drafted junior player availability to play in the AHL. HC should propose this with the CHL and NHL which ultimately should benefit Canadian Junior players. The proposal is in addition to 10 NHL ; an addition of 10 AHL should be added, allowing CHL junior draftee to play a total of 20 professional games as to just 9 NHL games and 5 AHL conditioning games.

This should even up CHL junior players ' experience as compared to European and American Junior players.

In addition, no junior players are allowed to play more than 60 CHL games. This allows a CHL skill development provision clause, meaning each CHL player is required to spend a minimum 10 sessions with a specialized regional(WHL, OHL, QMJHL) skill development coach.

Each CHL junior player must show minimum skill grade for their age category(17,18,19-20). Hence, the CHL and HC must develop specific skill development and grading handbooks for regional skill coach to regulate CHL players skills (skating, puck-handling, shooting, passing, and creative plays and Hockey IQ) . In essence, this process can eliminate players with less skill to play in the CHL and encourage skill development by using a skill assessment and development sessions with regional coaches. This process may resemble assessment process which we have in university and different professions.

CHL and HC must pioneer this skill development and grading handbooks to help in assessing and grading each age category.

Reactions: hockeyanalyst99

DavidLamb

Nov 14, 2017
In addition, each hockey academy in Canada must have an assistant coach who specialize in skill development for players and goalie. By implementing the above changes. I am hoping that HC and Hockey in Canada will be the pioneer in different aspects of the game.

Reactions: hockeyanalyst99

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
2 gold medals in the last 10 years, that is just not adequate. Please support for HC accountability and perhaps call for another summit.

yeah. we'll get right on that as soon as Russia finishes up with theirs. 1 gold medal in 16 years. man, that's a dog's breakfast. They really need to start working on their skill development.

The takes in this thread are truly epic. people really need to go read Hockey Canada's mission statement and educate themselves. The only thing Hockey Canada needs to do is get over their own arrogance and take tournament play seriously, learn from their mistakes and apply lessons learned to future tournaments.

DavidLamb

Nov 14, 2017
I AM SICK AND TIRED HEARing Canadian players not being as good as the European and American players in terms of skating and puckhandling. Hence, HC needs to pick up a notch, please implement some changes. Every NHL draft, i will always hear a least several Canadian 1st and 2nd rounders who need to work on their skating. Hence, i am begging HC to implement more changes. This will help our cause in WJC as well. Anyone with good ideas, please drop a line.

thanks,

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad