Hockey Canada should be accountable

Helpmeplease

Jan 3, 2019
I am so disappointed with the way hockey is going in Canada hockey use to be a game of creativity reading the ice and that’s what separated the good players from the greats and now the players have to play systems it hand cuffs a lot of players I have had the privilege of watching Ty Smith for a number of years now and that was not his game they made him play he didn’t get to rush the puck jump into the play .how many more players could have been more effective out there with out a leash on system players are for your 3rd and 4th liners and your 5th and 6th defence man

Fred McCarthy

Dec 26, 2018
It me ..Gritty!
We have the players , I just don't think we're getting the best out of them . You don't win because of who you think you are as a nation , you win from hard work and good preparation . We just didn't look smooth all Championship .

Reactions: smitty10

Helpmeplease

Jan 3, 2019
We have the players , I just don't think we're getting the best out of them . You don't win because of who you think you are as a nation , you win from hard work and good preparation . We just didn't look smooth all Championship .
Ya I think you are on to something I loved the 2006 team coached by Sutter they put there work boots on every shift they were gritty and finished every check and not afraid to dump the puck in

Reactions: Fred McCarthy

Fred McCarthy

Dec 26, 2018
It me ..Gritty!
Maybe if they didnt treat every loss like the worst thing that's ever happened in the history of Canadian hockey, there wouldn't be a mountain of pressure on the players every single year.
I don't know ,looked like a lot of stiff and confused play coming from the lads . DePietro's magical goaltending really shines a light on how bad things actually were with the skaters .
Harnessing pressure is part of running a team , granted , Canada is a tough gig

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007
Give it a day or so, and Tom Renney will come out and blame the players.
Although it's amazing he can still give quotes when his head is so far up his own a$$.

Reactions: Gold Standard

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Twice in 4 years losing to very good Finland teams in the QFs. There's no shame in it - Canada should probably start lowering their expectations in these tournaments. The rest of the world has really closed the gap on them.

We knew this wasn't going to be a very strong Team Canada this year. And unfortunately you had to play a very good 3 seed. Realistically Canada was probably not a top 3 team at this tournament.

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
I am so disappointed with the way hockey is going in Canada hockey use to be a game of creativity reading the ice and that’s what separated the good players from the greats and now the players have to play systems it hand cuffs a lot of players I have had the privilege of watching Ty Smith for a number of years now and that was not his game they made him play he didn’t get to rush the puck jump into the play .how many more players could have been more effective out there with out a leash on system players are for your 3rd and 4th liners and your 5th and 6th defence man

Lol..! Where do I start ? How is this Hockey Canada’s fault!? They do everything in their power to promote skill dev in our youngest players in part through use of LTD model and yet parents and minor hockey coaches in this country think they know the best way to develop skilled players . It’s a joke
Go compare 8 and 9 yearlod hockey in the GTA vs Finland/ Sweden . The difference is shocking

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Here's the thing about playing without a leash - when you play an organized team, most of the time you're going to lose. I don't understand why people think just tossing out players and letting them do what they want is going to beat teams playing like a team, most of the time it'll lead to an epic fail. Canada got beat. It's a very competitive tournament. Teams all have speed, skill, and players capable of putting the game away. Could the coaching be better? Maybe, but I don't think it's about taking the players off their leash.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I feel like people need to just come to the realization that Canada can't win this tournament every year....There isn't some need for a national inquiry to the state of hockey....We literally won the god damn thing last year. There are 5 top tier nations in hockey now....Guess what that means? Atleast one of em is going home in the quarters every single year now. Get a year where the talent isn't quite there...or you pick a bad coach and it's going to be you! It sucks, but it really isn't the end of the world just move onto next year.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I feel like people need to just come to the realization that Canada can't win this tournament every year....There isn't some need for a national inquiry to the state of hockey....We literally won the god damn thing last year. There are 5 top tier nations in hockey now....Guess what that means? Atleast one of em is going home in the quarters every single year now. Get a year where the talent isn't quite there...or you pick a bad coach and it's going to be you! It sucks, but it really isn't the end of the world just move onto next year.

The sooner TSN realizes this, the better it'll be for all of us.

Every year they dress this up like it's "Canada's march to a well-deserved gold medal.....oh and there's some other teams involved too, we think".

Whenever Canada loses, though, it's like a goddamn funeral. "Shocking upset! What happened? What went so horribly wrong? Here's some post-game interviews we did with Canadian players heartbroken at letting the nation down!"

I get that it's a Canadian network and all but the amount of pressure that TSN's treatment of this tournament has placed on these kids, year after year, must be incredible.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
That’s just advertising. That’s just selling their product. If Bob Mackenzie tells the execs that Canada has a legit shot for gold or if he tells them it’s the worst roster he’s seen in 30 years, they’ll promote it exactly the same way.

Reactions: xgallantx and Kurtz

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Hockey Canada is ultimately responsible for all the diving from the Canadian kids and while it has been effective at times I think it ends up shooting themselves in the foot. Don't think the players feel the same pride anymore going out representing that jersey. They dive at least 2-3 times more than any other nation, its becoming ridiculous, and everyone is aware of it.

Many blame it on us now seeing a generation of kids having grown up seeing Crosby, but I think that there are some other explanations:

1. As hitting is being eliminated, an outlet source of frustration is removed. That left over frustration certainly is channeled into dives at times.

2. European players sometimes stay down after taking a hard a hit or after being hit by a shot, a Canadian kid will crawl of the ice, if necessary, as long as he has any senses left. I think that is seen as a justification to dive more in Canada, but it really don't hold up. Its apples and oranges.

Need to bring the pride back. When a nation played Canada before the only thing you talked about before the game was "don't be intimidated", now its "beware of the flipping and flopping".

There were 2-3 ugly diving incidents against Denmark. No way that would have been tolerated 10-15 years ago. Now the biggest diver is made Captain. Speaks volumes.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Canada could have 2 teams and still compete for gold and silver.

sharknado

Aug 22, 2014
Hockey Canada needs a complete revamp of their entire staff. Stop selecting players based on their stats and size and only from the CHL. Get your staff to actually go look at all or most kids in all of the JR leagues.

On a different topic, start marketing the hell out of CIS. This is very good hockey and can compete against Div 1 NCAA teams but you guys are not doing or saying anything about it other than complaining why are our kids going to the States.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Hockey Canada needs a complete revamp of their entire staff. Stop selecting players based on their stats and size and only from the CHL. Get your staff to actually go look at all or most kids in all of the JR leagues.

On a different topic, start marketing the hell out of CIS. This is very good hockey and can compete against Div 1 NCAA teams but you guys are not doing or saying anything about it other than complaining why are our kids going to the States.
I don't see it.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario

CIS very good hockey that can compete with div 1 ncaa? I don’t know about that :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: joestevens29

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Reading this and about Comtois Instagram account, it seems to be big thing in Canada. At the 98 Olympic loss level.

That's what happens when the media pushes the narrative that anything short of a gold medal for Canada is a colossal failure.

Some people just get so bent out of shape over it, it's kind of embarrassing for the rest of us here who know better. :dunno:

geoo9

Mar 15, 2013
rusland
Problem is Canada players plays mostly at junior league teams. They need to change it maybe send best to AHL. Canada just cant play that fast against guys who grows with mens hockey. shaked knees cant skate

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->