Ho-Sang more "electrifying player" than McDavid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I love JHS and think his skills and talent are through the roof. But McDavid is on another level.

McDavid is already one of the top 10-15 players in the world IMO. He may even be better.

Junior and midgets are nothing compared to the pros. Also, JHS didn't exactly set the OHL on fire.

McDavid is already being talked about with the Crosby Tavares and Kane's of the world while JHS hasn't even played pro yet.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
No, you did make that stuff up, and it's not real.

The quote you're using came from some guy writing for Fansided, who's not any kind of pundit or even an accredited member of the media. He's essentially a fan with a blog:

http://awinninghabit.com/2014/06/26/...6th-nhl-draft/

And even then, this complete non-source's opinion was only referring to McDavid's rookie OHL season, after which he completely torched Ho-Sang in the league.

I'm not sure how accurate that blog even is, anyways. I know for much of the season, McDavid was on a line with Burakovsky on line two, with Fox and Brown on line one. Obviously they played together on occasion and on the powerplay, but Erie tended to split those four up to balance out the scoring.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Again. Just get back on topic here. It speaks volumes when so many have claimed McDavid to be leagues above the rest, yet here is this youngster only 1 year older who out-shined him in the not so distant past and still gets people out of their seats today. There's gotta be something there.

4 or 5 years ago is the distant past when talking hockey development for kids.

Ho Sang is LITERALLY leagues below McDavid - McDavid is an NHL'er, and a soon to be superstar. Ho Sang hasn't played a game of pro hockey at any level.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
One could be an all-time great, the other may never make an NHL roster.
Agree with the first, disagree with the second.

Unless the Isles go out and acquire a rw Ho-Sang's got a very good chance of making the Isles next season. There is no question his skill level is better than most NHL'ers and by all accounts he's impressed Isles management, who also have managed to construct a team devoid of rw talent.

The only reason I was upset by the Ladd signing is that we have Top 6 talent at Lw, we are lacking it at Rw.

So Ho-Sang's skill level coupled with the Isles holes at Rw give him a very good chance to stick if he performs well in the AHL.

There's not really any reason why he won't. He will be a first liner there and will have Michael Dal Colle as a winger and (probably) Alan Quine as a center

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
No, you did make that stuff up, and it's not real.

The quote you're using came from some guy writing for Fansided, who's not any kind of pundit or even an accredited member of the media. He's essentially a fan with a blog:

http://awinninghabit.com/2014/06/26/...6th-nhl-draft/

And even then, this complete non-source's opinion was only referring to McDavid's rookie OHL season, after which he completely torched Ho-Sang in the league.

Stated in 2012, when McDavid was 15. Way to omit basic, relevant facts.

You cherry pick quotes and perspectives - usually from dubious sources - without context and then mishmash everything together into a conglomeration of half-baked propaganda.

In the OP I referenced the article from the Toronto Sun that refers to what I'm talking about. Are you telling me that article I referenced "is not real".

And I've mentioned many other publications throughout this thread from the Montreal Gazette and Toronto Sun but you fail to mention them. Now who's cherry picking?

In regards to that Blog poster. Who care what the source. Do you not agree with his assessment that McDavid was blessed the top 2 scorers in the OHL when he entered that league?

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
4 or 5 years ago is the distant past when talking hockey development for kids.

Ho Sang is LITERALLY leagues below McDavid - McDavid is an NHL'er, and a soon to be superstar. Ho Sang hasn't played a game of pro hockey at any level.

Again, you're really milking those 46 NHL games he's played. Heck he's 46 games removed from the same league HoSang was playing in. :shakehead

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
I love JHS and think his skills and talent are through the roof. But McDavid is on another level.

McDavid is already one of the top 10-15 players in the world IMO. He may even be better.

Junior and midgets are nothing compared to the pros. Also, JHS didn't exactly set the OHL on fire.

McDavid is already being talked about with the Crosby Tavares and Kane's of the world while JHS hasn't even played pro yet.

Great post. I also see McDavid as on of the top 10-15 players in the world. The talent level is clearly there. The fact that there is another player yet to enter the NHL who may have even greater raw talent is intriguing.

As for his potential for success in the NHL, like I said before, I would be happy if he had a career and success similar to Matt Duchene which is a more realistic outlook for the kid. But you never know, if he lives up to his full potential there may be no ceiling to his success.

Last edited:

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
In the OP I referenced the article from the Toronto Sun that refers to what I'm talking about. Are you telling me that article I referenced "is not real".

The article you referenced is talking about their time in midget. Your post above talks about how they were similar in accomplishments in their time in the OHL. You're making stuff up.

And the The Hockey News article you put up is incredibly biased. The author seems to be an Islanders fan.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
The article you referenced is talking about their time in midget. Your post above talks about how they were similar in accomplishments in their time in the OHL. You're making stuff up.

And the The Hockey News article you put up is incredibly biased. The author seems to be an Islanders fan.

Well that's true as this thread had taken so many unexpected twists and turns. The original post (which was in the form of a question addressed to those who actually saw him play in midget) was sound and the basis behind this entire thread.

If you want to argue that McDavid's OHL statistics were somewhat inflated by his superior linemates that's a whole other discussion that I would rather not participate in.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011

I don't know if he was and Islander fan or not, but he was quoting the same article I was quoting by Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun. I doubt he's an Islander fan.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
I think he would have more hype if he did better than 82 points as a 20 year old in the OHL. Expecting him to be a 2nd liner if everything works out. His most recent results matter a lot more than what was said about him at age 15.

Space Herpe

Arch Duke of Raleigh
Aug 29, 2008
JHS might be a more electrifying player...

I'm thinking of Michael Bay movies...lots of bangs, lots of big red fireballs, lots of noise...and nothing else.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Again, you're really milking those 46 NHL games he's played. Heck he's 46 games removed from the same league HoSang was playing in. :shakehead

In those 46 games, McDavid proved to be one of the best players in the world already. In Ho Sang's career, despite being a year older, he hasn't proved that he can even make the AHL. Or ECHL for that matter. I'm sure he will, but you are jumping the gun on any current day comparisons at all that go beyond "they both play hockey".

46 games in the NHL trumps absolutely everything that these guys did as kids in midget hockey.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
In regards to that Blog poster. Who care what the source. Do you not agree with his assessment that McDavid was blessed the top 2 scorers in the OHL when he entered that league?

No, because they weren't. When McDavid entered the league, Conor Brown scored 69 points and Dane Fox scored 36 points in 37 games. That's not even close to "the top 2 scorers in the OHL". The following season, when both went supernova, McDavid largely played on a line with rookie Burakovsky.

1 Timer

Aug 23, 2009
Howell, NJ
In summary if the Islanders drafted McD he would have a spot on the opening night roster. Ho Sang is going to play in the AHL.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
In those 46 games, McDavid proved to be one of the best players in the world already. In Ho Sang's career, despite being a year older, he hasn't proved that he can even make the AHL. Or ECHL for that matter. I'm sure he will, but you are jumping the gun on any current day comparisons at all that go beyond "they both play hockey".

46 games in the NHL trumps absolutely everything that these guys did as kids in midget hockey.

Let me get this straight. McDavid has played exactly 287 games in the OHL and midget combined. HoSang played 286 games in the OHL and midget combined. In fact they played on the same team in their juniors. You (and others) find it ridiculous that these two "are being mentioned in the same sentence" because they apparently have so little in common.

YET

You (and others) have no problem after only 45 games in the NHL proclaiming McDavid to be already one of the best in the world ie. on the same mantle as the Crosby's, Ovechkin's, Stamkos, Kanes etc. of the game. Heck. you guys are already saying that he's better than the HHOF players who have already completed their careers.

That is TOTALLY absurd and hypocritical wouldn't you say?

Wouldn't anyone say it is more reasonable to compare them based on a combined 573 games in the same leagues rather than based on 46 games that only one of them has already had the opportunity to play in?

Last edited:

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Let me get this straight. McDavid has played exactly 287 games in the OHL and midget combined. HoSang played 286 games in the OHL and midget combined. In fact they played on the same team in their juniors. You (and others) find it ridiculous that these two "are being mentioned in the same sentence" because they apparently have so little in common.

YET

You (and others) find it reasonable after only 45 games in the NHL to proclaim McDavid to be already one of the best in the world ie. on the same mantle as the Crosby's, Ovechkin's, Stamkos, Kanes etc. of the game. Heck. you guys are already saying that he's better than the HHOF players who have already completed their careers.

Sidney Crosby and Andrew Cogliano have played similar amount of NHL games. Clearly this means they are entirely comparable players.

WhatsaMaatta

Feb 2, 2008

YET

You (and others) have no problem after only 45 games in the NHL proclaiming McDavid to be already one of the best in the world ie. on the same mantle as the Crosby's, Ovechkin's, Stamkos, Kanes etc. of the game. Heck. you guys are already saying that he's better than the HHOF players who have already completed their careers.

This is Prucha-Crosby all over again. McDavid dominated Ho Sang in the OHL. McDavid posted one of the greater all time point per game paces by a rookie in the NHL. Ho Sang couldn't even make the NHL in his draft year. He's an afterthought, at best, and has no relation to McDavid other than some article you dug up when these players were just starting high school. Yet you have started a thread comparing the two under a guise of calling Ho Sang's play "electrical" in the OHL. If you really wanted to talk about Ho Sang and his electrical play, you wouldn't have brought up McDavid, and you would have posted this in a forum related to the OHL. For you to be calling someone else's argument absurd is both absurd and hypocritical. This is the definition of a troll thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad