Ho-Sang more "electrifying player" than McDavid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
As sacrilegious as this may sound for some, for those who had watched these guys play on the same team in 2011 would you have agreed with this sentiment- that the only difference between Ho-Sang and McDavid was that Josh was more exciting to watch? I think this year will be the first year he has a shot of making the team out of camp, if he's anywhere near as good as McDavid I can't wait to see him play.

"No one can deny the raw talent. As Steve Simmons mentions in that same Toronto Sun article, when you watched the 2011-12 Toronto Marlboros it almost seemed like there was a competition between Ho-Sang and McDavid for which one would make more jaw-dropping plays in the game. As impressive as McDavid was for an underage player, Ho-Sang and current Ottawa 67’s forward Dante Salituro were hands-down the best players in the league that season." http://thehockeywriters.com/josh-ho-sang-still-facing-undeserved-criticism/

https://vine.co/v/OY9LJWmWrBn The kid can skate!

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Ho-Sang has no hockey IQ. He can skate, but has no sense. He'll be the next Niklas Hagman.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Big difference between juniors and the pro's, and McDavid has shown he can do this in an international best on best tournament.

True. But we haven't seen what this kid can do yet. It's kinda exciting. They're good friends off the ice as well and practice together. Love to see what this kid turns into, but I'm keeping my expectations grounded. No Ho-Jesus shirts at the printers yet.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
lets see Ho-Sang make it through a whole NHL training camp without getting sent home before we get all loco

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Kid sure has tallied up alot of assists for a kid with no hockey IQ.

That's what happens when you're an overage player playing in the OHL. He was playing his draft +2 year against kids who are primarily undrafted and under 18. His stats actually dropped from last year.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
that the only difference between Ho-Sang and McDavid was that Josh was more exciting to watch? I think this year will be the first year he has a shot of making the team out of camp, if he's anywhere near as good as McDavid I can't wait to see him play.

It's not the only difference and he's not going to be anywhere near as good as McDavid (likely ever).

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
The question again was: For those who watched them back in 2011 was this statement made by the press true?

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
If your idea of "electrifying" is watching self-serving one-man stickhandling clinics at lower levels of hockey...maybe.

But otherwise, nah.

Jisatsu

May 17, 2013
Ho-sang is the type of player you love to watch play beer-league or drop in games. He most definitely makes great plays. His game has no structure for modern systems hockey, and honestly, he's a 3rd line player in the NHL at best. Though, I think he could easily make great plays at the NHL level, I just don't think he would be that consistent.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Five years ago.... let that sink in.

How many times have we seen kids be stars at a young age, only to not progress as far as the others?

Anybody who has been involved with any youth sports, will know that the stars at 12, 13, 14 even 15 aren't always the ones who progress the most from there. Some do, some don't.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
As a Islander fan I give you this.

maxresdefault.jpg

At one point JHS was considered with McDavid. That ship has sailed.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
No. He's got skills, but I think an electrifying player has vision and creativity well beyond what we're used to -- they're magicians, who can consistently astonish. I don't see that in JHS the way I do in McD, but also in a player like Drouin or Nik Ehlers, who often seems to be inventing the game as he's playing it.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
At this point, players that are "electrifying" in juniors playing against kids that are for the most part significantly worse than them raises red flags for me. We'll see how he translates

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Five years ago.... let that sink in.

How many times have we seen kids be stars at a young age, only to not progress as far as the others?

Anybody who has been involved with any youth sports, will know that the stars at 12, 13, 14 even 15 aren't always the ones who progress the most from there. Some do, some don't.

So five years ago it was true and you've seen him play? That's all I want to know :popcorn:

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Let's not shoot the messenger folks, but it is true that in 2011, yes 5 years ago they said. Ho Sang is still a super talented prospect and he's showing a lot of promise, whether it translates to anything meaningful in the NHL waits to be seen.

But by the reaction of most who claim to have seen these players playing side by side. I guess the hockey writers were correct in 2011. And that my friends, is a good thing for hockey!

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Let's not shoot the messenger folks, but it is true that in 2011, yes 5 years ago they said. Ho Sang is still a super talented prospect and he's showing a lot of promise, whether it translates to anything meaningful in the NHL waits to be seen.

But by the reaction of most who claim to have seen these players playing side by side. I guess the hockey writers were correct in 2011. And that my friends, is a good thing for hockey!

Why not put this in the prospect forum if you were talking about 5 years ago?

And how is Ho-Sang being "a more electrifying player" 5 years ago a good thing for hockey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad