Post-Game Talk: HNIC: Best team in hockey history vs Cup Champs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Handful of thoughts... Man do I f***ing miss Tom Wilson... Thought we were the better team but somehow lost the game. Hated the no-call on Ellers stick being held on the leafs third goal on the PP. His stick being held immediately led to them scoring since he couldn't clear the puck. Jaskin continues to suck, bring back Walker. What the hell do they see in him? Anderson was stupid good(or lucky) in the third period. Really killed us. Keep after it boys, much better effort than the Devils game. Losing to the Leafs sucks cause their fans are every 12 year old in the entire world it seem. Onto my Hershey game! Hopefully they can make this suck less.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Niskanen doesn’t look right to me, that’s my biggest concern other than Wilson getting 40 next time, last year he was our 7th best player this year he looks like a guy

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Handful of thoughts... Man do I ****ing miss Tom Wilson... Thought we were the better team but somehow lost the game. Hated the no-call on Ellers stick being held on the leafs third goal on the PP. His stick being held immediately led to them scoring since he couldn't clear the puck. Jaskin continues to suck, bring back Walker. What the hell do they see in him? Anderson was stupid good(or lucky) in the third period. Really killed us. Keep after it boys, much better effort than the Devils game. Losing to the Leafs sucks cause their fans are every 12 year old in the entire world it seem. Onto my Hershey game! Hopefully they can make this suck less.

Forget that, Walker brings nothing, I want Axel up here. I'm hoping he plays about 15 games in Hershey, impresses and he and Shumakov get called up.

Reactions: AtNightWeFly

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Forget that, Walker brings nothing, I want Axel up here. I'm hoping he plays about 15 games in Hershey, impresses and he and Shumakov get called up.
No, you don't. I've watched all 4 of his games this year. He can't skate with the puck. He can skate but as soon as the pucks on his stick he turns it over or fumbles it away into an odd man rush. Does a lot of other things good but he flat out cannot stick handle. Hopefully it comes with time but there's 0 chance he's in the NHL this year unless he makes a dramatic improvement. Feel free to read the prospect thread, comments on all 4 of his games so far this season. Shumakov on the other hand has been better. He'll end up with the big club this year once he gets a little more comfortable with North American hockey.

Reactions: third man in

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
We had many chances to win that game, unfotunately they didn't score.

next.

+ NYR, PHI, PIT, NYI and CBJ also lost tonight.

The only fear that I have with this loss is that TML fans and media, will think that they'll win the Cup for sure, because they beat the Champs (who played their 3rd game in 4 nights)

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
No, you don't. I've watched all 4 of his games this year. He can't skate with the puck. He can skate but as soon as the pucks on his stick he turns it over or fumbles it away into an odd man rush. Does a lot of other things good but he flat out cannot stick handle. Hopefully it comes with time but there's 0 chance he's in the NHL this year unless he makes a dramatic improvement. Feel free to read the prospect thread, comments on all 4 of his games so far this season. Shumakov on the other hand has been better. He'll end up with the big club this year once he gets a little more comfortable with North American hockey.

Read your stuff, it is all fantastic and thank you for it.

AJF's biggest issue is his puck handling, I noted that here when watching him at Dev Camp in June. I'd still want to have him here sooner rather than later over Walker, who while fast never accomplishes much from his speed.

I will always be about giving kids chances first. Maybe Gersich before Shumakov gets a call soon, who knows. There is just no way Burakovsky can keep getting big minutes with his level of play anymore. His 100% avoidance of contact at all costs is driving me insane.

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
We had many chances to win that game, unfotunately they didn't score.

next.

+ NYR, PHI, PIT, NYI and CBJ also lost tonight.

The only fear that I have with this loss is that TML fans and media, will think that they'll win the Cup for sure, because they beat the Champs (who played their 3rd game in 4 nights)
They thought that the second they signed Tavares. Don't they have to make it out of the first round first? They're just setting themselves up for disappointment.

Reactions: ovikovy817

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Niskanen doesn’t look right to me, that’s my biggest concern other than Wilson getting 40 next time, last year he was our 7th best player this year he looks like a guy
Ive been saying that about Niskanen. He is playing like a bottom pairing dman. Orlov hasn't been great either.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
We are going to get every teams best game this year, and need to be better prepared.

Having Wilson would definitely help, as all the lines would benefit. Hopefully, he cleans up his act, because he’s too important to this team.

Tough start to the season, first 5 games against playoff teams from last year. I’d be surprised if any other team had this tough of a schedule. Time to start feasting on the bottom feeders. NYR, you’re up.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
came in on a 2-1 game. so what I saw was a 3-0 loss. But some notes on what I saw.

Djoos needs to grow up. You cant dangle on your own blue line. He's been burned twice in close games late doing that.
Kempny doesn't look like a top 4 d. Maybe its the concussion or the layoff.
Vrana needs to score something. Burt.....I have increasingly low expectations.
The guy they got off waivers. This is a guy we were excited to get? I see nothing.

And...now we can see what the team looks like without Tom Wilson. He brings value deeper than what we see on the surface.
They still had a good opportunity to win. Next?

Reactions: maacoshark

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Ive been saying that about Niskanen. He is playing like a bottom pairing dman. Orlov hasn't been great either.

No. You have been saying that Niskanen
Is overrated
Is overpaid
Is not a shutdown defenseman
Is not that good.

HE is saying that Niskanen
Doesn't look right
Not like himself.

Meaning he thinks Niskanen is not overrated and not playing well.

I would say that both Niskanan and Orlov seem off. That this is what you get when Niskanen plays like YOU think he always plays like.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
came in on a 2-1 game. so what I saw was a 3-0 loss. But some notes on what I saw.

Djoos needs to grow up. You cant dangle on your own blue line. He's been burned twice in close games late doing that.
Kempny doesn't look like a top 4 d. Maybe its the concussion or the layoff.
Vrana needs to score something. Burt.....I have increasingly low expectations.
The guy they got off waivers. This is a guy we were excited to get? I see nothing.

And...now we can see what the team looks like without Tom Wilson. He brings value deeper than what we see on the surface.
They still had a good opportunity to win. Next?
I agree with everything you said. I'd like to add that Djoos lack of physical strength is showing. He easily get out muscled by everyone and seems to be afraid of contact.
Something isn't right about the Niskanen/ Orlov pairing neither of them look good.
Vrana is showing signs of breaking out but for some reason can't do it. You would think his production would be better playing on a line with Backstrom and Oshie.
And Eller is an embarrassment right now. He scored the 7th goal in a 7-0 win. Got beat up by va midget because if his stupid celebration and its been downhill for him since. He might be playing worse than Burakovsky.
We aren't getting any secondary scoring. Its the same 4 forwards on the stat sheet every game.
Bright spots are Kuzy and Carlson. Carlson has played very well at both ends. He seems to make his d partner look better than he really is. Kempny was nothing in this league until he was paired with Carlson. Djoos also played alot better when he is with Carlson.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
No. You have been saying that Niskanen
Is overrated
Is overpaid
Is not a shutdown defenseman
Is not that good.

HE is saying that Niskanen
Doesn't look right
Not like himself.

Meaning he thinks Niskanen is not overrated and not playing well.

I would say that both Niskanan and Orlov seem off. That this is what you get when Niskanen plays like YOU think he always plays like.
Niskanen had stretches last season where he played like this. He isn't the shutdown dman you guys make him out to be. Even when he is at his best.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I understand that you are smarter than the rest of us and am resigned to that.
I wonder if anyone here realizes than when Niskanen and Orpik were signed. Orpik was the shutdown guy and Niskanen was more of an offensive defence man. Niskanen has improved defensively and turned into a very solid 2way dman. I would never really call him a shutdown guy.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad