U18: Hlinka Semis

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Goalies are funny here... Goes Liv... Then a country mile and everyone else. Eg Milota is the 2nd or 3rd best statistically (at least 2 games) and he's sub .900. goal scorers tourney. Canada has about ten guys in top 20 scoring.lol

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
The Finland game was a joy to watch! I am so pleased my return from the Czech Republic to Japan was delayed until Monday, great to watch it here. I am not used to seeing any of our youth teams completely destroy some of the top teams. I am not as knowledgeable as posters like Czechboy about foreign U18s so I can't assess properly just how much of an obstacle it was for the finish team that some of their top players were absent, but even so, this kind of result is heartwarming and unusual. Then again, we do sometimes do better at the Hlinka than at equivalent age IIHF tournaments.

Reactions: Czechboy

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Congrats to the Canadians. We were a lot worse, as expected. Only a few of our guys can keep up with the talent the Canadian team had.

Maybe this'll cause some controversy, but I thought the Canadian players took the game way too seriously. I get it's a rivalry, but read the room, you're playing the USA's back-ups in a game you are HEAVILY favored to win. Martone going by the USA bench holding his jersey after he scored was completely uncalled for. And he was way too chippy all game. It wasn't exactly a mutually chippy game, but he was trying to stir up trouble that wasn't being reciprocated. Parekh shooting the puck after the whistle also was obviously intentional and uncalled for, especially when the game is practically over up a few goals.

I get that they are kids, but I thought the Canadian players were way too emotional. US team was completely flat and played with no emotion. I could understand these actions more, if it was a mutually chippy game, but it seemed oddly one-sided with the chippy play. Just feels like it's punching down to be so fired up and chippy against the USA's back-ups in a game no one from the US side really expected anything from. Call off the dogs and read the room that you are playing a bunch of scrubs.

leafsrdue

Oct 4, 2014
The overall standing of goaltending at this tournament=brutal.

We may be looking at a 2024 draft without a top two round goalie.
The first goal on George as bad for sure. Second one he had no chance. After that he made a few good saves and was solid. More than enough to get the win.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
The first goal on George as bad for sure. Second one he had no chance. After that he made a few good saves and was solid. More than enough to get the win.
Yeah, but he also faced like 20 shots and USA didn't threaten that much. Not a difficult quality of shots either.

Wouldn't say he's particularly been good at this tournament, but yeah I don't disagree with the idea that he's been one of the better goalies at this tournament of a very bad bunch.

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
Congrats to the Canadians. We were a lot worse, as expected. Only a few of our guys can keep up with the talent the Canadian team had.

Maybe this'll cause some controversy, but I thought the Canadian players took the game way too seriously. I get it's a rivalry, but read the room, you're playing the USA's back-ups in a game you are HEAVILY favored to win. Martone going by the USA bench holding his jersey after he scored was completely uncalled for. And he was way too chippy all game. It wasn't exactly a mutually chippy game, but he was trying to stir up trouble that wasn't being reciprocated. Parekh shooting the puck after the whistle also was obviously intentional and uncalled for, especially when the game is practically over up a few goals.

I get that they are kids, but I thought the Canadian players were way too emotional. US team was completely flat and played with no emotion. I could understand these actions more, if it was a mutually chippy game, but it seemed oddly one-sided with the chippy play. Just feels like it's punching down to be so fired up and chippy against the USA's back-ups in a game no one from the US side really expected anything from. Call off the dogs and read the room that you are playing a bunch of scrubs.
No team worth their salt is viewing the opposing team as scrubs, least of all a team like Canada.

Playoff game is a playoff game and Canada brought it, as they usually do.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Also, calling the US team "scrubs" is maybe an exaggeration.
As a US fan, most of them are scrubs. They are so far beneath the Canadian team. Closer in ability to the Czech team. That US team will have like 10 guys drafted. The Canadian team will have at least double that.

Last edited:

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
As a US fan, most of them are scrubs. They are so far beneath the Canadian team. Closer in ability to the Czech team. That US team will have like 8 guys drafted. The Canadian team will have at least double that.
You're describing it as if it's a AAA team playing a house league team. We all know the US uses this as a development camp and doesn't send their strongest roster, but you're definitely exaggerating the relative strength of the teams.

The Canadian players are using this tournament to A) bolster their draft status and B) show Hockey Canada that they are prospects for future world tournaments. Taking their foot off the gas because it's going to hurt the feelings of some players from other countries doesn't serve that purpose. If USA Hockey is bothered by that, that's on them, not on anyone else.

Canada typically sends a sub-standard team to the World Championships in April, because many of its best players are still involved in CHL players. I invite you to show me examples of US players not doing everything they can to obliterate what is Canada's B team at that tournament.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
You're describing it as if it's a AAA team playing a house league team. We all know the US uses this as a development camp and doesn't send their strongest roster, but you're definitely exaggerating the relative strength of the teams.

The Canadian players are using this tournament to A) bolster their draft status and B) show Hockey Canada that they are prospects for future world tournaments. Taking their foot off the gas because it's going to hurt the feelings of some players from other countries doesn't serve that purpose. If USA Hockey is bothered by that, that's on them, not on anyone else.

Canada typically sends a sub-standard team to the World Championships in April, because many of its best players are still involved in CHL players. I invite you to show me examples of US players not doing everything they can to obliterate what is Canada's B team at that tournament.
My main point is they shouldn’t be playing so emotional and chippy when the other team isn’t following suit. Read the room a little and see the other team isn’t taking it to be some incredibly serious rivalry game that you are. These aren’t really their rivals either, as most of these players will never get close to making another USAH team again.

As a US fan, it felt like punching down from the Canadian players. No, I’m not telling them to stop scoring goals or playing to the whistle. I’m saying you don’t need to bring the antics in a game where the other team isn’t doing the same and you are the clearly superior team.

Edit: On your last point, I’d expect the same from a US team. We all know that these aren’t the true rivalry games. Those come at the WJC20, and if we ever see a true best on best men’s tournament again. I get that this might be the biggest rivalry game any of them have ever played in, so it’s not like some huge surprise if any of them act out a little, but as a fan I think it’s punching down when it’s done on either side when it’s not truly best on best and one team has a clear advantage on the other in ability. And if they just read the room a little and saw the US players weren’t playing as emotional, I would think they should play to the situation.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
As a US fan, most of them are scrubs. They are so far beneath the Canadian team. Closer in ability to the Czech team. That US team will have like 10 guys drafted. The Canadian team will have at least double that.
Canadian players should not have been pumping their jersey in front of the U.S. bench. Not good sportsmanship and no upside.

Fair point.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Liv was exceptional
He seems to be one of the few exceptions. I’ve only seen one Sweden game, and Love wasn’t playing like Liv.

Unfortunately though for Liv, he might be like the last two starting Swedish U18 goalies that don’t get drafted due to being 5’11.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
The Finland game was a joy to watch! I am so pleased my return from the Czech Republic to Japan was delayed until Monday, great to watch it here. I am not used to seeing any of our youth teams completely destroy some of the top teams. I am not as knowledgeable as posters like Czechboy about foreign U18s so I can't assess properly just how much of an obstacle it was for the finish team that some of their top players were absent, but even so, this kind of result is heartwarming and unusual. Then again, we do sometimes do better at the Hlinka than at equivalent age IIHF tournaments.
In fairness... I default to voodooz, wooren and goodman on U18... I'm a U20 and Czechs in NHL psycho.haha

Finn's were missing key guys and this is supposed to be a very good generation for them.

Putting up 7 on them and US is unheard of.lol. US was a B team too. But one of those b teams is taking home a bronze so I wouldn't say they are awful.

No kvirojuhi (misspelt... D man... Very good) and eiserman helps a lot.

Given how bad the goalies have been here... A kid like eiserman may have set michkov/Bedard level records!
He seems to be one of the few exceptions. I’ve only seen one Sweden game, and Love wasn’t playing like Liv.

Unfortunately though for Liv, he might be like the last two starting Swedish U18 goalies that don’t get drafted due to being 5’11.
Fair but he has great stats and was amazing against the Czechs who has a lot of hdsc...

I admit I have a soft spot for him because of the KHL crash and his dad. But I'm seeing that all the goalies make the routine stops but not many on hdsc
.. he seemed to do that very well.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Canadian players should not have been pumping their jersey in front of the U.S. bench. Not good sportsmanship and no upside.
If I were coaching a minor hockey team, I would probably agree with you. I'm not a fan generally of showboating or cockiness even among elite athletes, mostly because that stuff comes back to haunt you. All but the true greats get their asses handed to them from time to time, and the fall from grace is never an easy thing to handle.

But when you bring show ponies out to the big jamberoo, you have to expect they're going to show pony. You know that the coaching staff was revving the players up before the game and once you do that, it's pretty hard to get them back under control. It's different if they're playing a true lesser light, because they will go into that matchup with a much calmer demanour. Playing against one of the big six means they have to be amped up from the time they step on the ice, because if they're not, they might find themselves down a few goals early and digging out of a hole. As I said, it means it's harder for them to turn it off when the game is well in hand.

Again, I don't like the cockiness, but from 16 and 17-year-old kids, I am not surprised by it and am not going to lose a lot of sleep over it.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Fair but he has great stats and was amazing against the Czechs who has a lot of hdsc...

I admit I have a soft spot for him because of the KHL crash and his dad. But I'm seeing that all the goalies make the routine stops but not many on hdsc
.. he seemed to do that very well.
Agree, he has such an interesting back-story. The KHL crash adds a deep layer to it, but it'd also be an interesting backstory for that Stefan is a little bit of a Swedish goalie legend, especially for a guy that never played in the NHL. He was part of their Gold Medal winning Olympic team in 2006.

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
And Czech on the prospects board... That poster knows about 12 year olds and up!

Reactions: czechcanadian

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
If I were coaching a minor hockey team, I would probably agree with you. I'm not a fan generally of showboating or cockiness even among elite athletes, mostly because that stuff comes back to haunt you. All but the true greats get their asses handed to them from time to time, and the fall from grace is never an easy thing to handle.

But when you bring show ponies out to the big jamberoo, you have to expect they're going to show pony. You know that the coaching staff was revving the players up before the game and once you do that, it's pretty hard to get them back under control. It's different if they're playing a true lesser light, because they will go into that matchup with a much calmer demanour. Playing against one of the big six means they have to be amped up from the time they step on the ice, because if they're not, they might find themselves down a few goals early and digging out of a hole. As I said, it means it's harder for them to turn it off when the game is well in hand.

Again, I don't like the cockiness, but from 16 and 17-year-old kids, I am not surprised by it and am not going to lose a lot of sleep over it.
Well said.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York

Keep in mind these guys will meet 4-6 more times before their junior career is out, so a bit of long-term intimidation tactics are at play here.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Keep in mind these guys will meet 4-6 more times before their junior career is out, so a bit of long-term intimidation tactics are at play here.
Those players will not meet 4-6 more times. The Canadian players might play another 4-6 times. Maybe 2 or 3 Americans might have a chance to meet the Canadian players once or twice. And that was kind of the point. It’s punching down against a bunch of scrubs that they’ll likely never face again.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Those players will not meet 4-6 more times. The Canadian players might play another 4-6 times. Maybe 2 or 3 Americans might have a chance to meet the Canadian players once or twice. And that was kind of the point. It’s punching down against a bunch of scrubs that they’ll likely never face again.

But they don't know that for sure. They could face them 4-6 more times. What you call "punching down" (ridiculously) I call competing.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
But they don't know that for sure. They could face them 4-6 more times. What you call "punching down" (ridiculously) I call competing.
For sure? Come on. That’s a full on back up American team. They know that. Everyone knows that. Just because “anything can happen” doesn’t change that fact.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
For sure? Come on. That’s a full on back up American team. They know that. Everyone knows that. Just because “anything can happen” doesn’t change that fact.

I know, but it's a tournament, if you are the coach you'd spend all your time trying to have your team behave like the Canadians in this situation and not take anyone for granted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad