Hitting Girls

Status
Not open for further replies.

deanosaur

Feb 17, 2008
AB/MB
That is 100% true. And this is because more often than not, girls are awful at hockey. Hitting a girl is(or was, I don't play full-contact anymore) beneath me and proves nothing.

Ti-girl is gonna crucify you for that.
it does prove something, it proves you treat everyone the same regardless of gender. you hit a guy you hit a girl. you hit a guy you poke check a girl? that shows you take it easy on girls, and as a couple girls have said THEY DONT WANT special treatment.

K-PAX*

So what. That's what they should get, especially from the bigger players.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
That is 100% true. And this is because more often than not, girls are awful at hockey. Hitting a girl is(or was, I don't play full-contact anymore) beneath me and proves nothing.

So players should only bodycheck players of equal or greater size?

Bodychecking isn't about proving things.

K-PAX*

Yeah we're not talking about girls, we're talking about body size. Good point MW you can really read between the lines. Just remember next time to actually read the lines too.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Yeah we're not talking about girls, we're talking about body size. Good point MW you can really read between the lines. Just remember next time to actually read the lines too.

Well that's what the main difference would be, unless you're suggesting that women have weaker bones than men or are more prone to concussions or something like that.

K-PAX*

I think the main difference would be that they are women and are naturally weaker than men. Not their size, though they are usually smaller. And yes, they do have weaker bones.

It's about etiquette. Hitting a woman hard is taboo in Western society. I don't care if the girl signed up for the boys league there's no real reason to hammer her.

Rickety Cricket

Mar 8, 2006
Not Kent Huskins
I think the main difference would be that they are women and are naturally weaker than men. Not their size, though they are usually smaller. And yes, they do have weaker bones.

It's about etiquette. Hitting a woman hard is taboo in Western society. I don't care if the girl signed up for the boys league there's no real reason to hammer her.

unless shes playing a game in which such activity is allowed

supaman

Jan 21, 2007
Edmonton, usually
For one, I don't think girls should be playing competitve hockey against guys. Its fine when they are younger. When you get older though, some guys think they have every right to lay them out. Also, if a guy tried to play in a womens league there would be a huge uproar about it.

For the guys who say you can't tell the girls from the guys. Seriously, are you blind? I play goal. I've played competitve for 11 years. Any time there has EVER been a girl on the other team, i've noticed. They could be the other goalie, a defence. You can tell. I can understand maybe if you've had 5 or more concussions that your brain just doesn't work and you can't sort out girls from guys.

Yes, hitting is part of the game. Do you have to lay out a girl? Does it make you feel like a big man? Come on guys. Seriously.

deanosaur

Feb 17, 2008
AB/MB
For one, I don't think girls should be playing competitve hockey against guys. Its fine when they are younger. When you get older though, some guys think they have every right to lay them out. Also, if a guy tried to play in a womens league there would be a huge uproar about it.

For the guys who say you can't tell the girls from the guys. Seriously, are you blind? I play goal. I've played competitve for 11 years. Any time there has EVER been a girl on the other team, i've noticed. They could be the other goalie, a defence. You can tell. I can understand maybe if you've had 5 or more concussions that your brain just doesn't work and you can't sort out girls from guys.

Yes, hitting is part of the game. Do you have to lay out a girl? Does it make you feel like a big man? Come on guys. Seriously.

k noone says lets go take her head off every shift.
were saying shes still fair game, she puts on the jersey and steps onto the same ice.

supaman

Jan 21, 2007
Edmonton, usually
I agree and anyone who doesn't agree is likely trolling the board for e-*****.

When I played travel in the summer (HS aged league), we played against a Western NJ team.

Well, they had a girl on their team. We watched them play and the girl was really a very good player. But no one else would dare to touch her. She could almost score at will.

I saw her crossing the blue line. Keep in mind -- I was the agitator on our team, our captain, and one of our better scorers (I played LW). She skated right by one of our wingers and I absolutely layed her out. Layed her the **** out. Completely legal hit -- she had her head down and was trying to act like hot ****.

Probably the best play of our tournament though I was kicked out of the game. I was also suspended for the rest of the tournament though our coach challenged it and I was re-instated before the next game. I think they suspended me because there were practically death threats because of the hit. :sarcasm: But as I said -- it was a great play and instilled tons of emotion and energy into our team. We played 6 games and won each of them by at least 7 goals.

Anyway, anyone who doesn't hit a girl just because she's a girl is a complete idiot. They signed up for the checking league. They are completely fair game.

You sound like the guy that got me suspended. He kept running my one defence, who was a girl. He also kept running me in the crease. Near the end of the second, the puck got dumped in, she went to grab the puck and he drilled her from behind and then skated up to me and said "my bad" I then proceeded to take my blocker and ram it down his throat. I only got one good shot in. I got 4 for roughing, 5 for unsportsmanlike, 10 minute misconduct, the game, and then 20 games thereafter. He got a fractured orbital bone and a dislocated jaw. Granted he was also suspended for 10 - 15 I think.

supaman

Jan 21, 2007
Edmonton, usually
k noone says lets go take her head off every shift.
were saying shes still fair game, she puts on the jersey and steps onto the same ice.

Yeah, but most guys are a holes and would sooner throw a stiff check her way than persay, stick check. Maybe just rub her out. Pride seems to get in the way. Guys get that whole "well she wants to be treated equally" bs mentality. Its like they have to hit her.

deanosaur

Feb 17, 2008
AB/MB
Yeah, but most guys are a holes and would sooner throw a stiff check her way than persay, stick check. Maybe just rub her out. Pride seems to get in the way. Guys get that whole "well she wants to be treated equally" bs mentality. Its like they have to hit her.

k maybe guys like jonny boy up there who pulls a scott stevens on them yeah they may HAVE to hit her.
keep in mind there are girls who said HIT them, and they said theyd spear us if we didnt soo.. i think ill hit them and not get speared hahaha

supaman

Jan 21, 2007
Edmonton, usually
k maybe guys like jonny boy up there who pulls a scott stevens on them yeah they may HAVE to hit her.
keep in mind there are girls who said HIT them, and they said theyd spear us if we didnt soo.. i think ill hit them and not get speared hahaha

True enough. If they want to be hit, they are then fair game. Especially if they'll spear you. heheh. Still doesn't mean kill'em though. Thats all i'm trying to say.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
Women play in the same leagues over there? I probably couldn't even play. Or at least it would bother me a lot. I'm relatively big (6'5" / 250), and I rarely finish a game without hurting people. I mean, I don't go out to injure, but I sure don't let it stop me if someone has his head down. The last season I played before I quit (because of my groins), I broke two ribs from one guy and dislocated two shoulders (from different guys) with clean hits (well, one of them was close to being boarding, but I didn't get called for it, even though the guy got injured).

But I couldn't hurt a girl, and I would just try to avoid contact with them and I believe it would've made me a lot less effective. I might have had to actually learn to play the game better...

Last edited:

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007

I played checking hockey with a girl on my team for several seasons, and not many people really played her very differently than anyone else. Every once in a while there would be some guy who would take a bunch of runs at her, but those types of guys would also take a runs at guys because they were small or whatever else, and they would get dealt with just like any other player who was trying to take off a teammate's head. She was a strong skater and had a good head for the game, and, although she was a smaller player, she was rarely the smallest skater on the ice, and she gave out about as much as she took. If a guy came across the middle with his head down, she'd hit him, because the opportunity presented itself, and he should have known better than to put himself in that position. If she came across the middle with her head down and got hit, she also should have known better than to put herself in that position. If a guy was making it a point to run her all game long, someone would go after him just like if some guy was making a point of running me all game long someone on the team would go after him.

Hell, the way this thread has gone seems to argue against your "most guys would intentionally go after her" stance, as it seems like there are plenty of people who fall into the "I would never hit a girl" category.

Personally, I figure that if I'm playing the game thinking that certain players are and aren't okay to hit, I'm no longer playing on instinct, and at that point, I'm playing worse against every player on the ice. I was never a player who would go out of my way to throw a big hit and potentially put myself out of position, and I never tried to hit to hurt. If you're on the ice, I'm going to play you like I would any other player on the ice, which includes playing cleanly and never attempting to injure, but I'm not going to impose limits on my options concerning how to deal with specific players.

Just to note, that last bit is out the window in pickup or beer league or whatever, where I'm obviously not going to lean on the guy who just learned to skate, while the guy who played in the BCHL a couple years ago and I might be playing each other with a bit more intensity.

Also, maybe I'm just reading it differently, but I don't see how Jonathan's story shows him to be at all like the guy that got you suspended. He wasn't repeatedly running this girl because she was a girl, and he didn't hit her because of her being a girl. I'd imagine that he hit her because she was a player on the other team who could apparently dangle through his teammates and score nearly at will, and who was carrying the puck up ice with their head down, and from the way he described his style of play, it seems like he probably would have hit any other player on the ice just as hard in the same situation. The ******* in your story, if he weren't busy running at the girl on your team, would have probably found some guy with an Ovechkin visor or some other reason and run him instead. *******s are *******s.

Last edited:

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
Women play in the same leagues over there? I probably couldn't even play. Or at least it would bother me a lot. I'm relatively big (6'5" / 250), and I rarely finish a game without hurting people. I mean, I don't go out to injure, but I sure don't let it stop me if someone has his head down. The last season I played before I quit (because of my groins), I broke two ribs from one guy and dislocated two shoulders (from different guys) with clean hits (well, one of them was close to being boarding, but I didn't get called for it, even though the guy got injured).

But I couldn't hurt a girl, and I would just try to avoid contact with them and I believe it would've made me a lot less effective. I might have had to actually learn to play the game better...

It's an option.

I grew up playing against my Dad and brothers and the boys in the neighbourhood. (One is in the NHL now)

Granted, I didn't play until a few years ago because of a contract with another sport, it was full contact.

Now it's second nature. I get a lot more penalties on our women's league than in men's because I throw a hip and I'm in the box.

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico

Dude. Wow.

First of all, wow.
Secondly, our team last year played against a Men's A team. We took them to OT and won it in a shootout. God, we're awful.
My best friend played on the men's team and has 5 years of WHL hockey under his belt.

Anyway, let me put it to you this way.

If the girl is playing with the boys she wants to be treated the same. I wouldn't want people to lay off hitting me because I'm a girl.

Why would it be beneath you? Seriously, if you recieved a suicide pass or were skating with your head down, I'd clock you. Hell, I clocked my best friend.

I would expect the same in return.

And girls are awful at hockey?

I'll be sure to tell Cherie Piper, Haley Wickenheiser and Gina Kingsbury the next time I see them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad