Speculation: Hire John Torchetti Full-Time? If Not, Who? (General Coaching Discussion)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
If a player prevents you from properly running your team, they need to go. We already traded the best defenseman that ever played for us, once more for an actual return would be nice.

Pretty easy to say that now!! But he averaged 27 points a year when he was here, and they moved him to help clear money to sign Parise and Suter, which noboby was complaining about at the time of the signings, And if anyone said at the time they would prefer Burns over Parise and Suter is flat out lying

Last edited:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Pretty easy to say that now!! But he averaged 27 points a year when he was here, and they moved him to help clear money to sign Parise and Suter, which noboby was complaining about at the time of the signings, And if anyone said at the time they would prefer Burns over Parise and Suter is flat out lying

Sing it, brother.

Let's not make a mountain out of a mole hill. Ryan Suter had a really good year and is our best player.

what is he guilty of? Trying to play more minutes? What a terrible problem!

A guy who brings in a coach to help him with his skills? What a BAD guy!

I do agree that we need to bring in an experienced coach with a different staff. One who doesn't overreact ( like some on this board), but is also capable of coaching star players. Say what you will, but you do treat them different than other players. You also have to stand up to them, at times. The trick is know when.

Our D has one more year of experience under it's belt. There is no way that Suter should be playing 28-9 min. per game, and no way that he should be dominating the PP. If his PP time is limited, the TOI problem will be solved. Instead of Suter getting 4-5 min. Per night on the PP, give him 90 seconds. Dumba, Reilly, Spurgeon, Scandella all can play PP. I would like to see Brodin get a taste, also.

Quoting Dater? The guy is an arse.

MattMcGloin

Apr 18, 2016
Canada
You have to think that if BB leaves Ottawa without a job, that is a small win for us. Ottawa is going to be doing everything they can to sign him to a job before he even thinks of heading out.

It at least means he is willing to think about it and doesn't have his mind made up

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN

Right on.

Let's not make a mountain out of a mole hill. Ryan Suter had a really good year and is our best player.

what is he guilty of? Trying to play more minutes? What a terrible problem!

A guy who brings in a coach to help him with his skills? What a BAD guy!

I do agree that we need to bring in an experienced coach with a different staff. One who doesn't overreact ( like some on this board), but is also capable of coaching star players. Say what you will, but you do treat them different than other players. You also have to stand up to them, at times. The trick is know when.

Our D has one more year of experience under it's belt. There is no way that Suter should be playing 28-9 min. per game, and no way that he should be dominating the PP. If his PP time is limited, the TOI problem will be solved. Instead of Suter getting 4-5 min. Per night on the PP, give him 90 seconds. Dumba, Reilly, Spurgeon, Scandella all can play PP. I would like to see Brodin get a taste, also.

Quoting Dater? The guy is an arse.

Also right on.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Also, according to Bleacher Report, the Wild are also talking to Boucher and Crawford. I would guess they are the back-up plan if BB takes the Ottawa job.

I personally would be good with Boucher but I am on the fence with Crawford. Boucher is definitely my number two option

link: http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2016/05/06/report-wild-talked-to-crawford-boucher-about-head-coaching-gig/

Yeah I just saw that too. Maybe it will be a thorough search and take a while if we don't get BB.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
No thanks to Crawford. I probably still hate him too much from his days as the Avs and Canucks coach, but I don't think he'd work too well in the modern NHL and there's a reason he hasn't held a NHL coaching job in 5 years.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
Also, according to Bleacher Report, the Wild are also talking to Boucher and Crawford. I would guess they are the back-up plan if BB takes the Ottawa job.

I personally would be good with Boucher but I am on the fence with Crawford. Boucher is definitely my number two option

link: http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2016/05/06/report-wild-talked-to-crawford-boucher-about-head-coaching-gig/

In my eyes I want the following

BB >> Boucher/Torch >>> Not Crawford/Carlyle >>>> still not the other two >>> anyone >>> Yeo >>> Craford

NonsenseElimination

Jan 1, 2016
Suter deserves to be criticized way more than he is IMO. He's way overpaid, thinks he's way better than he is, and it would be a shame if you guys want to anoint him the face of the franchise. I guess it does make sense though seeing as he seems to be playing at 75% effort at all times, never hits, and only cares about himself.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
If Boudreau is a no go, I want another BB. A national champion at that as well, Brad Berry.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Suter deserves to be criticized way more than he is IMO. He's way overpaid, thinks he's way better than he is, and it would be a shame if you guys want to anoint him the face of the franchise. I guess it does make sense though seeing as he seems to be playing at 75% effort at all times, never hits, and only cares about himself.

You can say he's overpaid, but saying things like "thinks he's way better than he is" and "only cares about himself" are ridiculous because A) there's no way for anybody to know if that's true and B) it's inferred from afar, through the media and TV.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
My money's on Boudreau coaching the Sens next season.:

Russo:
Just sayin', don't be shocked if Boudreau desires a chance to coach Ottawa over Minnesota. Besides the fact Boudreau is from Toronto, his mom lives in St. Catharines and he has a daughter, son-in-law and granddaughter who live ... in Ottawa.

They posed for pictures in the lobby of Boudreau's hotel in downtown Ottawa on Friday night. The Ottawa Sun's Bruce Garrioch was there waiting and interviewed Boudreau. He certainly sounds like a man who'd love to coach the Sens.

This is why there was zero chance Fletcher could dissuade Boudreau from even interviewing in Ottawa.

This doesn't mean Boudreau is offered the Ottawa job. The Sens are well into their coaching search and owner Eugene Melnyk reportedly said the list should be down to a handful by the weekend.

But if Boudreau has the choice between the two jobs, the lure of being so close to family could sway him over simply money.

MattMcGloin

Apr 18, 2016
Canada

I have already resigned myself to the fact that we likely won't get BB (although it will be a pleasant surprise if we do). I am fully aboard the Guy Boucher train. Choo Choo. I thought he did well with his limited resources in Tampa Bay while he was there, and it has been long speculated that he was a finalist for the New Jersey job and was all but handed the Toronto job before Babcock told them he wanted the that job.

I know it is speculation but having rumours like that makes me want that guy over some of the other candidates.

Eye Floater

Feb 3, 2009
USA
I have already resigned myself to the fact that we likely won't get BB (although it will be a pleasant surprise if we do). I am fully aboard the Guy Boucher train. Choo Choo. I thought he did well with his limited resources in Tampa Bay while he was there, and it has been long speculated that he was a finalist for the New Jersey job and was all but handed the Toronto job before Babcock told them he wanted the that job.

I know it is speculation but having rumours like that makes me want that guy over some of the other candidates.

I'm with you. Boucher should be plan B.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
If a player prevents you from properly running your team, they need to go. We already traded the best defenseman that ever played for us, once more for an actual return would be nice.

Suter > Burns, I'd say. Zero interest in trading our best defenseman.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
St. Catherine's is way down near Buffalo. Wouldn't be much difference between flying from MPLS to see Mom and OTT. Having said that, a cute little grandchild is impossibly compete with.

NonsenseElimination

Jan 1, 2016
Boucher? Hell no. From a post made on the other Wild forum:

"Not even he didn't succeed in TB, he failed in Switzerland. He coached for 2½ year the top team with far the best roster. Result: failed to make the playoffs (the 1st time for the last 25 years) twice, and got swept 4-0 in the 1st round after qualifying with the 7th spot. He was fired in the middle of this season and successor managed to qualify the team with the 8th seed en route to win the title à la LA style.

After the firing, players and GM admitted that Boucher was not a bad coach. A good tactician that was sometimes subborn in his system choices, but definitely not a motivator. The message had to chance and that was done successfully.

Boucher is way overrated IMO."

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Boucher is anything but a proven coach. Might as well stick with Torch.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
If Torch cleans house, chooses his own assistants, and implements his own system - not sure if he has one, but he clearly didn't want to completely change things in the middle of the year - then I have no problem with him coming back.

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
Sounds like the interview went well in Ottawa but it does sound like he is going back home tomorrow, so I guess that is a little good news, I thought there was a good likely hood of him being hired before he left town. Russo is coming up on KFAN at 5 with Barriero so we will see if he has new info on the search

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad