Speculation: Hire John Torchetti Full-Time? If Not, Who? (General Coaching Discussion)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Well, it's been 15 games since Yeo was fired and Torchetti was named interim head coach. In that span, we've gone 9-5-1 over 15 games.

Personally, I have mixed feelings on the new coach. I haven't seen the team taking steps forward, or putting together a consistent winning formula. I haven't noticed any marked improvements. In fact, we've lost some pretty embarrassing games against weak teams.

However, he seems to hold veteran players accountable and has snapped a few scoring droughts.

New Wild coach John Torchetti has vastly different style than the soft-spoken Mike Yeo

Wild fans, that’s your first lesson in understanding Boston native John Torchetti, the former minor league standout who will use 23 years of coaching experience to try to right the team’s ship.

“He’s got an untouchable work ethic and is very technically savvy,†said Torchetti’s mentor of 32 years, Montreal Canadiens executive Rick Dudley. “He absorbs so much. He’s the only guy I’ve ever known where I can tell him a system, and he’ll get it without us even going to the board.â€

During his victorious Wild interim coaching debut in Vancouver on Monday night, Torchetti ran up and down the bench as if it was gym class. He has a certain way he sees the game, and he wants his players to see it that way, too. But he also keeps things light with funny quips that had his players howling.

At one point, he snapped, “Stop yelling at the linesmen — you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.†When confused players turned around, Charlie Coyle piped up, “Get used to it, boys.â€

I'm curious to hear what everyone's thoughts are about Torchetti. Do you think he should be the Wild's next head coach? If not, who would you like to see at the Wild's helm to right the ship?

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Don't hire.

Or be prepared to fire him at any time a better coach becomes available.

After so many games so far, he's way too similar to Yeo.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
There is a reason he has never been given a full time HC job in the NHL. And he's had 2 tries before this one. Watching this team is like Fletcher told him "throw stuff at the wall so we can see what sticks."

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Not at all comfortable yet with considering him full time. I'm still kinda set on an NHL vet with success in this league, but the question is, will anyone be available? I'm hoping there are a few strong choices out there this summer as opposed to picking Torch just because he's the only decent guy available.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Will depend on how we do the rest of the year.

Miss the playoffs? Can't see any reason we would keep him around.

Beat out Avs but get sent home in first round? This is the tough one, and Fletcher will have a tough call.

Make playoffs and win a series or two? No way the Wild don't reward him with a chance next year, right? I actually think this is possible as both Dallas and St. Louis are beatable, if we get in.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Will depend on how we do the rest of the year.

Miss the playoffs? Can't see any reason we would keep him around.

Beat out Avs but get sent home in first round? This is the tough one, and Fletcher will have a tough call.

Make playoffs and win a series or two? No way the Wild don't reward him with a chance next year, right? I actually think this is possible as both Dallas and St. Louis are beatable, if we get in.

I'd say the only way we should keep him is if he gets us to the third round, or if he gets us to the second round and there are clearly no better, more experienced options out there.

I don't see either of those scenarios playing out, so that's why I say let him go.

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
Don't hire. I feel like there's going to be so many changes in the offseason that the entire coaching staff will be disposed of as well. Doubt Fletcher is here. Can't see a scenario where the new GM keeps the temporary coach from the old regime.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Don't hire. I feel like there's going to be so many changes in the offseason that the entire coaching staff will be disposed of as well. Doubt Fletcher is here. Can't see a scenario where the new GM keeps the temporary coach from the old regime.

I really doubt Fletcher is fired. That would pretty much indicate some sort of a rebuild. Fletcher will be here as long as Parise and Suter are still more or less in their primes.

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
I really doubt Fletcher is fired. That would pretty much indicate some sort of a rebuild. Fletcher will be here as long as Parise and Suter are still more or less in their primes.

You're probably not wrong, but I still think there's a chance. Every single player on this team has his finger prints on them. After Yeo was fired they all knew the spotlight would be on them. Still the same problems. It's a personnel problem at this point. That's on Fletcher. If Leipold wants to keep him, fine. Whatever.

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
Don't hire. This team needs a veteran coach who has had the experience of winning in the playoffs. Team still plays the exact same as they did under Yeo, same choking habits, lack of physical play, etc

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
I'm torn. There are some definite improvements under him (some players responding better, as well as better line management), but some of the same problems persist. So I say "wait and see..." If someone with a pedigree is available in June/July, it would be hard to watch the Wild pass on them.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
I'm in wait and see mode. It seems like were starting to get some stuff in place. Honestly it feels like late preseason where stuff is still being assembled. I'm hoping that means were correcting problems and getting set to put everything together and finally start playing strong and consistent.

Time will tell.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Don't hire.

Or be prepared to fire him at any time a better coach becomes available.

After so many games so far, he's way too similar to Yeo.

He was supposed to be similar to Yeo since he was coaching the minor league team. He wasn't going to completely revamp everything in the middle of the season.

That said, I'm also leaning no for now. We'll have to see if any better options are available first.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
I like Torchetti, but I think it's too early to make a firm decision on whether I'd like him back or not. I'm just not completely sold that he's the answer this team needs for head coach. I'd prefer to wait and see how the offseason coaching changes shake out and weigh my options at that point.

Also, I'd agree with the other comments that the entire assistant coaching staff (Sydor, Hendrickson and Brunette in particular) needs to be replaced in the offseason, regardless if Torchetti is hired to be the permanent head coach. I'd probably keep Mason since I think he's consistently worked well with our goaltenders throughout the years, but everyone else should be given the pink slip.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
couldnt motivate the team to be anything better than the worst team in the league and thats not a valid reason? plus im the king of all i survey so theres that.

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
Kind of hoping Boston gets bounced in first round then maybe Claude Julien is available.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
Fine as interim, but not really interested in him as the replacement. It would take a pretty impressive feat to make me think he didn't just happen to be present for a talented roster getting its due rebound.

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
couldnt motivate the team to be anything better than the worst team in the league and thats not a valid reason? plus im the king of all i survey so theres that.
I guess you wouldn't want Babcock as a coach then. Couldn't even motivate the Leafs to be anything better than the worst team in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad