Speculation: Hire John Torchetti Full-Time? If Not, Who? (General Coaching Discussion)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
There's plenty of things to want to blow up about the current team. Not everything, but a lot.

I've seen enough stretches of hideous play already (two periods of a playoff elimination game, for one!)

So because we've seen it come and go, we want a coach who's well known for having that style of play become the norm(by style of play I mean, make the "safe" choice, chip the puck out of the zone, dump and chase, block shots)?

They only time Carlyle has been succesful is when he had 5 or 6 HOFers on his team, including probably the best D pairing ever assembled. He's simply not a good coach in today's NHL.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Suter whines about playing with a righty.

Suter and the whole Adam Oates thing.

Suter now doesn't like Torch...

I am sensing a theme here. Suter isn't good enough to act like this...

Can't help but laugh at it if these are all true. I can't see Dater's tweets (he still has me blocked from the series a few years ago :laugh: ), but when other people are reporting on your Diva status...it is a bit concerning in my book.

If we end up finding out that he is "demanding" to play over 25 minutes a game and is hindering the other D, I'll lose my ****. Namely because if I'm Dumba, Scandella, Brodin or even Reilly...I won't want to play with someone who is taking my minutes away because his ego can't fit in the arena.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
This was last week's news when he sort of avoided the question about Torch. Certain players don't like certain coaches. Who cares. No one ripping on Haula for not liking Yeo? Vanek? Pominville?

He's not being a diva for not liking a coach. Fletcher's not making a decision solely based on one player's (unconfirmed) opinion like you guys all seem to believe.

He's not demanding ice time. He's our best defenseman. I don't know why everyone's out to get him.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
This was last week's news when he sort of avoided the question about Torch. Certain players don't like certain coaches. Who cares. No one ripping on Haula for not liking Yeo? Vanek? Pominville?

He's not being a diva for not liking a coach. Fletcher's not making a decision solely based on one player's (unconfirmed) opinion like you guys all seem to believe.

He's not demanding ice time. He's our best defenseman. I don't know why everyone's out to get him.

You're right, he's not demanding ice time. He's outright stealing it. I cite as evidence the numerous times everyone on the powerplay has changed but him and his slated replacement has just been left on the bench to stare out with a "what the hell, Suter?" look on his face.

I'm starting to get really fed up with Suter.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
You're right, he's not demanding ice time. He's outright stealing it. I cite as evidence the numerous times everyone on the powerplay has changed but him and his slated replacement has just been left on the bench to stare out with a "what the hell, Suter?" look on his face.

I'm starting to get really fed up with Suter.

Then why not rip the multiple coaches who apparently just let him do this without consequence?

Dampland

Mar 14, 2011
Gainfully Employed
To be fair, Torch yelled at Suter. That's pretty mean. :(

WHAT a coach yelled at an NHL veteran??!!! Doesn't he know that is against the Players Agreement! New Players Strike forthcoming now for sure.

I honestly would not be upset in the least if the Wild can trade Suter for a scoring forward.

Yes, Suter is a good defensemen, but Our D-fense would pick up the slack guaranteed. Spurgie and Brodin have proved they can handle big minutes. Scandy when healthy can as well. That leaves Folin, Dumba, Rielly and Prosser (plus Olaffson waiting in the wings) to fill out the remaining minutes.

Spurgie 23 +PP
Brodin 25
Scandella 23 +PP
Folin 15
Rielly 12-14 + PP
Dumba 12-14 +PP

Last edited:

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Then why not rip the multiple coaches who apparently just let him do this without consequence?

Oh I have a lot I'd love to say about that. However considering as much as it has happened I would not be surprised if said coaches were getting their orders from management or ownership to treat Suter with kid gloves. If so, it obviously means that the problem is not and never will go away until the person pulling those strings is gone or finally rescinds those orders.

Bit of a conspiracy theory? Perhaps. But given that Suter and Leipold are close, as well as Stoners comments about one defensemen being given all the minutes, as well as the reporting on the kid-vet locker room rift, it fits the narrative. Especially if Suter's word was the killing blow on the possibility of hiring Torchetti full time. While I would not be very happy with Torch being hired full time, I'm even less happy that a player would appear to have had critical input in the decision making. Players should have input, yes, but never be allowed to seemingly make or break the decision.

The litmus test will be if we end up hiring someone who obviously has the balls to outright sit Suter and we see the same patterns of bad behavior continue from him.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Oh I have a lot I'd love to say about that. However considering as much as it has happened I would not be surprised if said coaches were getting their orders from management or ownership to treat Suter with kid gloves. If so, it obviously means that the problem is not and never will go away until the person pulling those strings is gone or finally rescinds those orders.

Bit of a conspiracy theory? Perhaps. But given that Suter and Leipold are close, as well as Stoners comments about one defensemen being given all the minutes, as well as the reporting on the kid-vet locker room rift, it fits the narrative. Especially if Suter's word was the killing blow on the possibility of hiring Torchetti full time. While I would not be very happy with Torch being hired full time, I'm even less happy that a player would appear to have had critical input in the decision making. Players should have input, yes, but never be allowed to seemingly make or break the decision.

The litmus test will be if we end up hiring someone who obviously has the balls to outright sit Suter and we see the same patterns of bad behavior continue from him.

Leipold just said they don't even talk hockey. But I'm sure no one will believe that because Suter is a horrible human being. Stoner's comments were more directed at the coaches. Suter's word is not going to prevent us from hiring Torch. I don't understand how everyone just assumes this to be fact because of something Adrian Dater said, a fired journalist from the Denver Post. So if Torch isn't hired it's automatically because of Suter now? Not because we could have gotten Boudreau? Or because Fletcher doesn't want a rookie head coach again? So basically Suter will be criticized no matter what happens in the coaching decision?

Why would ownership/management send orders to treat Suter with kid gloves? So he gets more minutes, taking minutes away from our valuable trade chips in Scandella/Brodin/Dumba so their trade value goes down? Management would say to play Suter more "or else" just to make him happy, even if it could end up costing us multiple games because he was tired at the end of the game? Management would say play Suter "or else" at the cost of making the rest of the team pissed off? It just doesn't make sense.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Suter is a top 10 Dman. My only problem with him is not really with him, but with his usage.

That is a coaching/management problem. Suter might have a healthy ego, and think he is a really good hockey player... guess what, he is. What a shock to have a talented pro player with a healthy ego.

It's up to the coaches to handle him. All that is needed is a small adjustment in his playing time, bringing him down to what he played when he was in NSH.

If he was run out of town the revisionist historians would be pissing and moaning within a year about how we never should have let him go (just like Burns).

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
I am not optimistic on Boudreau, I dont think he leaves Ottawa tomorrow without an offer and it sounds like he wants to be there. I changed my 2nd pick I am hoping for Boucher now

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
I am not optimistic on Boudreau, I dont think he leaves Ottawa tomorrow without an offer and it sounds like he wants to be there. I changed my 2nd pick I am hoping for Boucher now

Anyone's better than Carlyle imo.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
If a player prevents you from properly running your team, they need to go. We already traded the best defenseman that ever played for us, once more for an actual return would be nice.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

I don't think Ottawa will pony up the cash needed.

Eye Floater

Feb 3, 2009
USA
I think our only hope for getting Boudreau is offering far more money than Ottawa, or hoping that the Sens don't see him as their coach after the interview.

I think the allure of being by family will bring him to Ottawa, the same reason Parise/Suter came here.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I think our only hope for getting Boudreau is offering far more money than Ottawa, or hoping that the Sens don't see him as their coach after the interview.

I think the allure of being by family will bring him to Ottawa, the same reason Parise/Suter came here.

Agreed. And I think we very well could offer more than Ottawa, but I still think they're the favorite at this point.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I don't think Ottawa will pony up the cash needed.

http://ottawacitizen.com/sports/hockey/nhl/senatorsextra/sens-bring-boudreau-to-town-for-interview

Chuv1rrXAAAbIvU.jpg:large

Based on Bruce's answers, it looks like the Sens will have every opportunity to sign him. The Sens have already stated they will pay whatever it takes to get the coach that they want.

Chances are that he's hired in Ottawa before he gets on another plane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad