Proposal: High-End Winger to Islanders

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I'm just curious to see what a very good to elite winger will cost us. It's hard for us to land UFAs because they only see our arena which feels like in the middle of nowhere, so we end up having to acquire players via trade and in saying that....what would it take to do it.

ON the block or at least what we have to potential offer.

Salary Dumps - Ladd (5.5m), Clutterbuck, (3.3m) - These types of trades usually means we have to send a young prospect the other way.

IF NOT top 3, then best top 6 option available?

On the market: (FYI, we have a ton of D)

NHL

Leddy (D)
Cizikas (C) (Isles fans, don't go crazy!)
Mayfield (D)
Beauvellier (LW) - (We'd ideally not like to trade him because he is top 6, but if it brings the right player, sure)
MDC (LW)

AHL

Thomas Hickey - His stats are solid, but kinda small and we have a Dobson experiment going on, which is why he was sent down.

Prospects

Ho-Sang (RW)- For obvious reasons
Kieffer Bellows (LW) - For the right player, yes, we'd be interested. He is the prototypical power winger and probably needs another season or two under his belt before he is ready
Otto Koivula (C) - Soft hands for a big guy
Sebastien Aho (D) - Not really interested in dealing him, but he's not untouchable
Mitch Vande Sompel (D) - He is ready NOW
Parker Wotherspoon (D) - "same as above"
Anatoly Golyshev (RW) - Probably only for future considerations
Kyle Buroughs (D) - He's actually OK, but I don't think he has a future on our team and would be for another AHL contract

Picks - Preferrably no firsts unless the right deal comes along. All other picks are on the table

Any team with great scoring and weak defense, we can definitely strike a deal and fill up your defensive lineup for a while.

I'd say probably Jets make the best trading partner, but who else is out there and what would your trade offer be?

Last edited:

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Elite winger you say? Those are the pieces being offered? I would say the Jets pass on any of those pieces for any of our "elite wingers". If the best D your offering is Leddy in return for an "elite winger" I'm guessing your going to have to lower sights a bit. I might take Leddy but your getting non elite pieces back along with cap.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
When you say High-end winger, I am assuming you mean a a real top-line winger, or a 2nd line winger that can play top-line for a lower tier team. Not many of those are available, unless you're looking at a potential UFA list. If Islanders are in a playoff picture and Florida looks to be on the outside come trade deadline, maybe you can pry away Hoffman or Dadonov if Florida can't sign them. Other options would include Granlund, Galchenyuk, Toffoli, or Coyle. But those are all based on negotiations with the player not working out. I don't think you're getting a high-end prospect who can step in, a young cost-controlled player, or even a signed high-end winger through trades.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Unfortunately, Lou's awful cap management has made taking on a slightly bad contract even impossible for us.

I've always thought if we wanted a top line player, it would cost us Dobson. I was hoping for Dobson+ for Laine this offseason.

Reactions: bernmeister

Lo97

May 10, 2019
When you say High-end winger, I am assuming you mean a a real top-line winger, or a 2nd line winger that can play top-line for a lower tier team. Not many of those are available, unless you're looking at a potential UFA list. If Islanders are in a playoff picture and Florida looks to be on the outside come trade deadline, maybe you can pry away Hoffman or Dadonov if Florida can't sign them. Other options would include Granlund, Galchenyuk, Toffoli, or Coyle. But those are all based on negotiations with the player not working out. I don't think you're getting a high-end prospect who can step in, a young cost-controlled player, or even a signed high-end winger through trades.
As a Bruins fan, Coyle isn't a winger. He's far more effective as a Center and even if he was to be put at wing, he's not the type of Winger the OP is talking about acquiring. He's only scored over 50 points once.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
As far as high-end wingers (Top 6 material):

Kessel was traded for garbage
Haula was traded for garbage
JT Miller was traded for a first (and garbage)
Hayes was traded for a first (and garbage)
Johannson returned a 2nd
Nyquist returned a 2nd
Skinner was traded for garbage

Price isn't as steep as most posters on this board will make it seem but the common thread behind these trades are draft picks or being done at the deadline.

Now isn't the time to look for that type of winger...should've been done last trade deadline, prior to the draft and definitely before the season started.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
As a Bruins fan, Coyle isn't a winger. He's far more effective as a Center and even if he was to be put at wing, he's not the type of Winger the OP is talking about acquiring. He's only scored over 50 points once.
I don't consider him a high end winger, either. But I think he can play wing so I'm just pointing out players they can target. I don't see them getting an actual high end winger.

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
I really like both players but I'd listen to offers on Schwartz or Tarasenko. I'm not impressed with the available pieces listed in the OP though. There would need to be considerable value coming back in a Tarasenko move in particular because of the lack of other natural goal scorers on the roster and in the system.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009

Johannson returned a 2nd
Nyquist returned a 2nd

Price isn't as steep as most posters on this board will make it seem but the common thread behind these trades are draft picks or being done at the deadline.

Now isn't the time to look for that type of winger...should've been done last trade deadline, prior to the draft and definitely before the season started.
Gotta see what's available at the deadline.

Maybe Tyler Toffoli is a fit if the Kings are out of it

Reactions: dood and YP44

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Not gonna lie, I laughed pretty hard at this one.

So OP wants a high end 1st line winger. But wont make literally any piece of value available. Doesn't even want to include Beauvillier or a 1st round pick.

You wouldn't even get a 3rd line winger with the pieces made available. It's literally nothing more than replacement type players made available.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

So OP wants a high end 1st line winger. But wont make literally any piece of value available. Doesn't even want to include Beauvillier or a 1st round pick.

You wouldn't even get a 3rd line winger with the pieces made available. It's literally nothing more than replacement type players made available.

Yup agreed. I mean they might get some older winger with baggage issues for a package like that or something similar (some negative attached with older winger). When he mentioned the Jets.....I was Laine, Ehlers, Wheeler, Connor? Hell no to all them for any combo of those pieces. So right away it’s automatically bottom six winger from the Jets or the Jets hard pass on all those pieces being offered and it’s not even close.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017

Johannson returned a 2nd
Nyquist returned a 2nd

Kessel- cap / personality casualty
Haula- cap casualty
JT Miller- cap casualty
Hayes- wasnt being re-signed
Johnsson- cap casualty
Skinner- personality casualty
Nyquist- casualty of a deep trade pool last deadline.

Dont have any cap casualties until the off-season. Situations arent equal in this case. Adding garbage to a first =/= garbage return. Its a first rounder and neither JT nor Hayes are elite wingers so.....

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018

Johannson returned a 2nd
Nyquist returned a 2nd

On that list I would only really put Kessel and Skinner in the "very good to elite" tier that OP described. A potentially unprotected first rounder in 2021 is a pretty high price for Miller. Haula, Hayes, Johannson, and Nyquist were all on expiring contracts. Haula arguably wasn't a pure rental because he was traded in the summer, but he'll still be a UFA next summer. He's also only had the one breakout season and spent most of last year injured.

I do agree though, now would be a strange time to look for someone. Mid/late-season they might be able to find a 1 1/2 year rental who is expiring in 2021 from a team that is rebuilding and wants to get younger/ditch salary. But no one jumps off the page. Chicago might be open to moving Saad if they continue to struggle.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site

I laughed even harder at your lack of reading comprehension! OP was pretty clear that Beauvillier and the first was on the table for the right player, which would be high-end.

Byron for 2nd+Bellows or Koivula
or
Tatar for 1st+Aho+Bellows or Koivula

Not sure if Byron is what we're looking for but the value is off on the Tatar one. That's essentially two firsts and another prospect for Tatar. That's an overpay.

Reactions: IODCPiper

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Weird, he was the complete opposite in Minnesota.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I laughed even harder at your lack of reading comprehension! OP was pretty clear that Beauvillier and the first was on the table for the right player, which would be high-end.

Not sure if Byron is what we're looking for but the value is off on the Tatar one. That's essentially two firsts and another prospect for Tatar. That's an overpay.
Tatar went for a first, a 2nd and a 3rd just two years ago, and he has to have gained value since then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad