HIC: Don Cherry just ripped Babcock for flying to see Matthews on the television hockey night in can

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I for one...true or false love this. People saying were still a young team so relax give them time...I 100% agree except for the fact the matthews is only 20 years old but wants to get paid 10M$+, marner and nylander are 20 but want to get paid 7,8,9M$+

So yeah were young but if u wanna get paid earn it.

Reason why im loving all this babcock to Arizona drama though is the fact that babcocks honeymoon is over. Its now time to win and hes gonna feel the PAIN of Toronto media now.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I for one...true or false love this. People saying were still a young team so relax give them time...I 100% agree except for the fact the matthews is only 20 years old but wants to get paid 10M$+, marner and nylander are 20 but want to get paid 7,8,9M$+

So yeah were young but if u wanna get paid earn it.

Reason why im loving all this babcock to Arizona drama though is the fact that babcocks honeymoon is over. Its now time to win and hes gonna feel the PAIN of Toronto media now.

It won’t be any different than it was before, the media just wants something to talk about so they can sell papers and get page views.

Reactions: stickty111

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Here is another thing that was obvious.
Mike Babcock wasnt outcoached.

It took him until game 3 to figure out the Bergeron line. Everyone said before the series began that was the key to the series. shut them down. It was possible, Leafs did it for a few games, just figured it out too late.

He failed to produce a win with Bergeron out.

He was a f***ing moron.

Reactions: ToMaLe and thewave

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
The media are guessing why Babcock wants to meet Matthews (and Anderson.) My guess is that Babcock wants to sound out his two superstars on the direction of the Leafs going forward. There are big changes to be made to the roster, and he must hear them out first.
So is Babcock now the GM...

Mathew went home his parents and him are pissed his body language was an easy read.

Look at Babcock interview after this came up he talks about Mathews Mom contacting him when he is to hard on Mathews.

Mathews needs to put on his big boy pants and not let his parents be involved in his job. Cherry is right about not going to kiss butt. He is also right about playing Mathews more in the playoffs.

Reactions: ToMaLe

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
It won’t be any different than it was before, the media just wants something to talk about so they can sell papers and get page views.
Some coaches like John Tortorella have done wonders and won cups unda presha. In tampa it happened. Others as well. They finna blow that thang up.

borjesalming

Aug 6, 2007

Mathew went home his parents and him are pissed his body language was an easy read.

Look at Babcock interview after this came up he talks about Mathews Mom contacting him when he is to hard on Mathews.

Mathews needs to put on his big boy pants and not let his parents be involved in his job. Cherry is right about not going to kiss butt. He is also right about playing Mathews more in the playoffs.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
It took him until game 3 to figure out the Bergeron line. Everyone said before the season began that was the key to the series. shut them down. It was possible, Leafs did it for a few games, just figured it out too late.

He was a ****ing moron.

Wasn’t that the only game Rask played well in?

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
It was already reported earlier today that Babcock had this trip planned with his family a while ago, and he's going to take advantage and meet with Matthews while he's there to touch base.

I wonder how often Babs plans a trip well in advance for a period of time when he would have expected to be coaching in the second round of the playoffs.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
It took him until game 3 to figure out the Bergeron line. Everyone said before the season began that was the key to the series. shut them down. It was possible, Leafs did it for a few games, just figured it out too late.

He was a ****ing moron.

Babcock is a genius, we're just not smart enough to understand the true reasons for Komarov being on the top PP in Game 1 when we needed a goal badly, but a healthy scratch for games 3-7. Same with playing the forced stretch pass game that caused endless D-zone draws off of icings against the best faceoff man in the league, hockey historians will use that plan to teach future coaches how to handle match-ups.

Reactions: ToMaLe and PuckMagi

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
Babcock openly admitted they had a blow out after game 7 , and he said it was the heat of the moment and all the emotions. During locker clean out day if you watched the interview he was asked about it , he said he spoke to Matthews about , but then he went on after that to give a really unclear answer he never said that Matthews was over it or what ever the problem / words that were said occurred was diminished it , it was more a beat around the bush kind of reply. Babs said " Auston was pissed off in third period , and the last 10 mins of the game , probably 23 other guys on the team " , than he went on to saying shortly after" Some times people snap on people , its the game " , lastly he said i asked "him flat out right there , we don't seem to " . He never said Auston's reply was we don't seem to, he said we don't seem to as in his reply with no clarification on who replied WE DONT SEEM TO, but in the context it sounded more of him stating that. Obviously some shit went down and i think a good coach wants to clear the air ASAP. obviously Matthews wanted to go home after the Loss , so Babs IMO really wanted to clear the air he knows how good of a player auston is , he know what a corner stone of the franchise 34 is , and he know that Auston matthew is going to be a Leaf for a long time As will he be the coach of the leafs for a solid 6 years? or is 5 right now i forgot atm. I think it was an excellent move by babs to fly across the country to go talk to Matthew ones on one , in his environment , after he had a weekish to cool off to clear the air hash things out get everything on the table move on bring in the next season with no remorse / or problems. He gave him enough time to cool off , but didn't give him all summer to brew and maybe be grudgeful . Obviously all speculation on my end but that's how i see it .

Don cherry on the other hand is 50/50 to me some of the stuff he says i agree with 100% other stuff its like okay old man .

Reactions: GardinerTheForward

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com

Babcock is great at talking. If he's going down there and having dinner with Matthews and his parents, he's going to spout some serious wisdom and they will eat it up I'm sure.

So it's probably a good thing.

But definitely weird this is happening, or happened, I don't even really understand the situation.

As long as Matthews is cool playing for the Leafs his entire career, I'm cool. This kind of shit makes me panic a little and start wondering if Matthews could feel like he wants out of here. I still remember the way Kessel was treated by the media and all the drama they can make and seeing Kessel looking like he wishes he was anywhere else.

That shit better not be starting to brew for Matthews or I will be annoyed.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I wonder how often Babs plans a trip well in advance for a period of time when he would have expected to be coaching in the second round of the playoffs.

I imagine pretty quickly, all you need is time and money and after losing he has both. It’s not like they have a ton of vacation time. He’s also going to be watching some of the World Cup isn’t he?

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
It took him until game 3 to figure out the Bergeron line. Everyone said before the series began that was the key to the series. shut them down. It was possible, Leafs did it for a few games, just figured it out too late.

He was a ****ing moron.
Or maybe it took our team until game 3 to wake up.
He was amazing. Sorry clearly better then Quennville.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
That's true, he didn't actually do enough adaptation to constitute actual coaching.
Thats true. Tough to be an actual coach when you are constantly doing more then enough good things for the team.
Babcock continues to be great.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
The media are guessing why Babcock wants to meet Matthews (and Anderson.) My guess is that Babcock wants to sound out his two superstars on the direction of the Leafs going forward. There are big changes to be made to the roster, and he must hear them out first.
He could have easily did that 2 weeks ago at the exit interviews or any time he wanted too considering they saw each other pretty much every day.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
What I would need to see from Babcock in game 1 of the opening season to regain some confidence in him:

1) Matthews and Marner on the same line (with someone other than Hyman)
2) Nylander playing center (assuming no Tavares)
3) Give Leivo a real chance

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
It is also possible that Auston asks Babscock for advice in how to be a better a player and how to overcome guys like Chara and Bergernon.
Maybe Marner did the same but since Marner lives in TO, we don't get to hear about it.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
All this soap opera drama, is just part of the decision making process for Babcock's team, probably best not to make anything out of it.

Why does Babcock insist on Hyman playing beside Matthews?

We have heard that story before, of when the coach was in Detroit, and one star complained he did not want to play with that other star, blah blah blah, some old story.

This time another star, maybe wants a different look to his line.

Remember when Kadri sometimes played with Kessel. Since Pittsburgh is out too now, no more hot dogs in a cup, we can talk about Phil the Trill. They never worked at all because Kessel always wanted the puck.

However Kadri and Marner are just plain dominant at times, because both read each other so well, does not matter who has the puck, the puck will find the right guy at the right time.

Maybe Matthews wanted some of that. When Nylander became confused, then it was Hyman as Marner. Might as well play Kadri and Kessel together.

:baghead:

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

I mean, they could’ve planned a location but not set a hard date.

“Honey where do you and the kids wanna go for vacation this year?”

“We’re thinking Arizona. When should we book the flight and hotel?”

“Well Maureen I’ve got a good team filled with good men who make good players, so I expect we’ll be playing some playoff hockey for a while. We’ll just see how far we go and plan the trip for right after that.”

Reactions: cookie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad