HIC: Don Cherry just ripped Babcock for flying to see Matthews on the television hockey night in can

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Don Cherry is right, Babcock is getting ridiculous with the sheltering Matthews crap. Don mentioned Matthews only played 15 minutes some games when he should have been getting 20+ if I was Matthews and I knew my caliber and what I was capable of I'd be pissed off at the playing time.
Matthews led all Leaf forwards in ice time in the playoffs and the regular season, that's not sheltering.

Reactions: Walshy7 and cookie

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
It's that darn Toronto media getting absolutely spun out of control again.

Cherry is right about one thing though. Play Matthews more. You've got a franchise C so use him 22 minutes a night in the playoffs. Put him on the ice with good players and good things will happen. I'm a supporter of Babcock, probably even a fanboy, but you've gotta run your horses.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Andersen questioning who is he is putting on the PP. Matthews pissed at Babcock. Babcock overplaying Andersen, underplaying Matthews. Outcoached in the playoffs. Pissing off the management with his suggestions on players in the media. Missing obvious review calls.

Babcock losing his touch? This teams needs a Quennville or Sullivan.

Last edited:

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
We still don't know why Babcock went to visit Matthews...this is the kind of poison that's bubbling up again in Toronto.

Reactions: NiftyMits

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
Matthews played like sh*t the whole series, so you bench him. You play the guys who are playing hard and want to play.

Isn't that normal? Play the guys who are fighting hard, and bench the guys who are just floating around .Hasn't it been this way since... day 1?

Why should Matthews get any special care, especially when he's playing like garbage out there?

Sorry that it hurts everyone's feelings but last time I checked they're all f-ing grown men and the guys who are fighting the fight get the ice time. The guys who are wimping out get benched. Matthews or not.

Guys think Babs should have babied him and put him out there even though he wasn't doing anything? No way. Bench his @SS and replace him with someone else who WANTS to play. That'll teach him foer next year - don't pull this disappearing act sh*t in the playoffs ever again. THEN he'll get his ice time. An awesome player needs to keep playing awesome past April, not just in the regular season. When the going gets tough.. who's willing to fight? Thats the problem here.

Babcock totally did the right thing - hard lessons, hard lumps. Man up and learn it the hard way.

You can bet Austin learned something

Last edited:

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
Babcock never played one game in the NHl. He is getting called out. Guy sucks in todays NHL. See ya Boobcock.

Reactions: ToMaLe

borjesalming

Aug 6, 2007
It was already reported earlier today that Babcock had this trip planned with his family a while ago, and he's going to take advantage and meet with Matthews while he's there to touch base.

I think this whole thing is being blown way out of proportion.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
There's obviously a problem considering they had exit interviews just 2 weeks ago so what's the need to go see AM if everything is hunky dory .

Reactions: ToMaLe

borjesalming

Aug 6, 2007
The media are guessing why Babcock wants to meet Matthews (and Anderson.) My guess is that Babcock wants to sound out his two superstars on the direction of the Leafs going forward. There are big changes to be made to the roster, and he must hear them out first.

Reactions: SmoggyTwinkles

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
There's obviously a problem considering they had exit interviews just 2 weeks ago so what's the need to go see AM if everything is hunky dory .

Maybe Matty wants Babcock's opinion on his new tatoo...:sarcasm:

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Andersen questioning who is he is putting on the PP. Matthews pissed at Babcock. Babcock overplaying Andersen, underplaying Matthews. Outcoached in the playoffs. Pissing off the management with his suggestions on players in the media. Missing obvious review calls.

Babcock losing his touch? This teams needs a Quennville or Sullivan.
Quennville is a ego coach who has had an elite team carry him for years.
Last 3 years
1st round exit
Swept in 1st round
Missed the playoffs.

Quenville losing his touch?
This team needs a Babcock. Its good that Babcock wasnt outcoached after all.

Reactions: egd27

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad