HHOF 2008 Eligable Players

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

Good article my ass.

Many will argue that the toughest team sport in the world should have the hardest admittance standards. Yet the constant gripe of this otherwise well-run enterprise has oscillated between charges of too easy an entry (Clark Gillies, Bill Barber and Rod Langway).

Rod Langway shouldn't be there and nothing on Lanny? Only in the Toronto Sun.

Al Bundy*

Will the NHL Network announce the nominees or will we have to check the internet?

ObnoxiousPensFan*

Burw should get in he was flat out scary since his first NHL sure he didnt score in his first game but he was everywhere you you knew he was gonna be amazing damn shame his knees kept getting blown out in the end:cry::shakehead one of my all time fav players he had to be the one of the top 3 fastest players of the 90s

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
Good article my ass.

Many will argue that the toughest team sport in the world should have the hardest admittance standards. Yet the constant gripe of this otherwise well-run enterprise has oscillated between charges of too easy an entry (Clark Gillies, Bill Barber and Rod Langway).

Rod Langway shouldn't be there and nothing on Lanny? Only in the Toronto Sun.

i didn't say i agreed with the whole article but it brings up some valid points.

Ciccarelli & Anderson should get in this year.Claude Provost's 9 Stanley Cups in his 15 year NHL career should garner consideration too.:nod:

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
I'd love to see not a single NHL player get inducted this time around (except maybe Mark Howe) in favor of the overlooked international players like Kharlamov, Johansson, Makarov, Larionov, Mikhailov, Holecek, etc. but the NHLHOF would never do that. Instead a bunch of lesser lights like Adam Oates, Glenn Anderson, and Phil Housley will garner strong support while superior players who had larger impacts on the sport of hockey are still ignored.

greatgazoo

Jan 26, 2008
Cobourg
From what I've read Larionov is a lock. Messier's been lobbying for Anderson to get in so it could be his year too. Gilmour I'm sure has enough friends on the 17 man committee to get in and Bure has to get in since his numbers are better than Neely's.

Larionov
Gilmour
Anderson
Bure

are my 4 picks. The decision comes down at 3:30 eastern. We'll see!

LapierreSports

Mar 9, 2007
Montreal
I dont really have a problem with Anderson, but I would have voted for Oates, Gilmour, Larionov and Bure. Very suprised Oates did not make it. He will have to wait a few years...

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
Plesently suprised to see middling guys like Oates and Gilmour left out. I really feel there are far superior international options to them (I've mentioned them several times already) and I hope the NHLHOF (aka HHOF) gets a clue before I die and starts including them over the marginal induction like Dick Duff. Glenn Anderson probably belongs but I just think he's a step (or five) down from many of the international greats still left on the outside.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
I'm in favour of inducting the international greats as well, but I'm still disappointed that Oates didn't get the nod.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
i don't have an issue with Glen Anderson & Igor Larianov getting in. :handclap:

i'm sure we would like to see 4 NHLers get in every year.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I thought for sure that when Anderson got in, his induction would make me the happiest. And it's about time. But there's no bigger "about time" induction this year than Ed Chynowyth. The reason I campaigned hard for Herb Carnegie was that I thought Chynowyth was already in. He wasn't. And he deserves it. Junior hockey wouldn't be what it is without him.

Anderson deserved it. It took nine attempts (eight more than it should have) but one of hockey's all-time great big-game players is in. A key part in a dynasty, a record for Game 7 goals, the second most OT goals ever when he retired, and the fourth most playoff points should equal HHOFer, regardless of what he did in the lesser important games from October to April.

Don't need to elaborate in this part of the forum why Larionov deserved it. We all know he belongs. It's just it would have been nice to see him in there with Makarov.

My guess is that Larionov will be the last of the international stars inducted, and guys like Mikhailov, Makarov, Vasiliev and Nedomansky will have to be happy with the IIHF HOF. (Hey, that's what it's there for).

I was hoping Gilmour or Oates, or even a more long-standing snub (Howe, Tremblay, Brewer or Vachon) would have gotten in this year, too.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
look who is eligible next year:players who retired in 2006 & earlier.

Steve Yzerman 1st Ballot for sure
Brett Hull possible 1st Ballot
Adam Oates
Doug Gilmour
Dino Ciccerelli
Luc Robitaille
Dave Andreychuk
Phil Housely
Bernie Nichols
Vinny Damphouse
Theo Fleury
Dave Taylor