HHOF 2008 Eligable Players

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
http://www.legendsofhockey.net/html/ind08prolog.htm

The forwards and defensemen listed have registered one of the following: 400 NHL goals, 1,000 NHL points, 6 Stanley Cup titles, 2 Canada/World Cup titles, "Triple Gold Club" members (winners of the World Championship, Canada/World Cup, and the Stanley Cup).

The goaltenders listed have played a minimum 500 NHL regular season games and have either won over 250 NHL games or have recorded 50 or more shutouts in the NHL.

HughJass*

Good list this year as Gilmour, Housley, Oates should get the call. Bure definitely deserves to be first ballot in my opinion (sure, we can argue about that). Anderson and Ciccarelli will continue to get screwed.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Good list this year as Gilmour, Housley, Oates should get the call. Bure definitely deserves to be first ballot in my opinion (sure, we can argue about that). Anderson and Ciccarelli will continue to get screwed.
Housley shouldn't get a sniff of the HHOF. Too one-dimensional, and his playoff record is not impressive at all. A player of his calibre should do better than a 55-point clip.

Bure is in his third attempt. He won't get in.

If I had a vote, my choices would be Igor Larionov, Sergei Makarov (he is not on that list, but he's been eligible since 2000), Doug Gilmour and Glenn Anderson. Gilmour and Anderson were excellent playoff performers who deserve induction, although they are hurt by some of their off-ice conduct. I'd love to see Oates get in, but I think Gilmour was the better player. I'd love to see Mark Howe, JC Tremblay, Carl Brewer, Ralph Backstrom, Claude Provost and Rogie Vachon get in, but I think there are better options.

This is probably one of the most intriguing votes in a long, long time. There won't be a first-ballot inductee, but it's a chance for the HHOF voters to make up for some past omisssions. I think Makarov and Anderson finally get in. I don't think you'll see four players elected - I think it'll be two or three, with a lot of vote splits, and consideration for guys who haven't been strongly debated for a while. And it wouldn't shock me if there's a surprise inductee.

There's a lot more suspense than last year, when everyone knew who was getting in, and the only question was if Francis would be victimized by a vote split with Oates and Larionov. And next year's class is pretty clear-cut, too, with Yzerman, Leetch, Hull and Robitaille almost certain to get in.

As for the builders, my pick is Herb Carnegie. The pioneer of the famed Future Aces program who has been a fixture for hockey in Quebec for decades. I'd love to see Junior A icon Dwight McMillan get inducted (he just joined HHOFer Brian Kilrea among the only junior coaches to win 1,000 games) but I think Carnegie deserves it more.

Al Bundy*

Housley shouldn't get a sniff of the HHOF. Too one-dimensional, and his playoff record is not impressive at all. A player of his calibre should do better than a 55-point clip.

Like Leo Boivin and Dick Duff are worthy themselves of being in the HOF.

I can name 10 members of the HHOF Housley is more worthy than.

My choices:

Housley

Adam Oates

Doug Gilmour

Glenn Anderson

canucks4ever

Mar 4, 2008
Can someone tell me more about Sven Johansson? If Mats Naslund, Hakan Loob and Kent Nilsson were able to have successfull nhl careers, maybe he would have too.

If those 3 swedes were able to pull off 100 point seasons, it really proves that someone like Kharlamov would have been major competition to Esposito and Lafleur.

canucks4ever

Mar 4, 2008
By the way, Bernie Nicholls is a sure fire hofer, if we're going to say he's only in cuz of leetching off linemates, lol I can think of 30 guys that are in the hof because of that. Steve schutt basically knows he's only in it due to his buddy Guy Lafleur.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion

My choices:

Housley

Adam Oates

Doug Gilmour

Glenn Anderson
Leo Boivin was one of the best defensive defencemen of all-time. That's why he's there. Dick Duff was a big part of six Cup champions. Scored a lot of big goals in his career, and he's one of the best defensive forwards ever. That's why he's there.

Would I have inducted Boivin or Duff? No. But that doesn't mean Housley should get in.

I give you four reasons why Housley shouldn't be in the HHOF: Mark Howe, JC Tremblay, Carl Brewer and Doug Wilson. Howe, Tremblay and Brewer were considerably better than Housley. Wilson was better than Housley, too. Howe and maybe Tremblay are the only ones with a shot of the HHOF.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
http://www.legendsofhockey.net/html/ind08prolog.htm

The forwards and defensemen listed have registered one of the following: 400 NHL goals, 1,000 NHL points, 6 Stanley Cup titles, 2 Canada/World Cup titles, "Triple Gold Club" members (winners of the World Championship, Canada/World Cup, and the Stanley Cup).

The goaltenders listed have played a minimum 500 NHL regular season games and have either won over 250 NHL games or have recorded 50 or more shutouts in the NHL.

Larionov won the Canada Cup as well, but the Triple Gold Club is for the Stanley Cup, World Championships, and Olympics.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
Leo Boivin was one of the best defensive defencemen of all-time. That's why he's there. Dick Duff was a big part of six Cup champions. Scored a lot of big goals in his career, and he's one of the best defensive forwards ever. That's why he's there.

Would I have inducted Boivin or Duff? No. But that doesn't mean Housley should get in.

I give you four reasons why Housley shouldn't be in the HHOF: Mark Howe, JC Tremblay, Carl Brewer and Doug Wilson. Howe, Tremblay and Brewer were considerably better than Housley. Wilson was better than Housley, too. Howe and maybe Tremblay are the only ones with a shot of the HHOF.

Well said, Housley wasn't,imo, in the same class as those 4. Any arguement can be made but I defy anyone to find a coach who'd want Housley ahead of any of the d men you list.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
It's nothing against Makarov that should be in the HHOF, it would be criminal to have in before they have Mikhailov in....

Hyperkookeez*

gilmour, ciccarelli, and oates will probably get in this year

as for the last pick, thats quite the toss up. id probably say larionov

canucks4ever

Mar 4, 2008
I honestly dont think Larionov is that great and I'm a huge supporter of russians. I honeslty believe if he joined the vancouver canucks in his prime, say around 1982, his numbers in the nhl wouldnt be much different.

Sergei Makarov on the other hand was the russian mike bossy. This guy proved in his first 3 nhl seasons that he can be above a ppg, the funny thing is that he was on the 2nd line with gilmour.

If Sergei was on Calgary during his prime, he would have been playing with kent nilsson and I think those two would have been dynamite together.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
Ciccarelli,Gilmour,Anderson & Oates would be my first choices.Bure was great in his prime but not a very long career.maybe in the next few years he'll get in.I'm sure the commitee will vote a border line goalie in or pull an old timers name out of the woodwork.:shakehead

Al Bundy*

Mark Howe??

Better than Housley?

NO WAY.

Howe was a human pylon who was fortunate to be on a Flyers team with stacked depth.

Terribly overrated.

OTOH, I do think Doug Wilson is HHOF worthy. He was like Al MacInnis in a way- BIG SLAPSHOT!

Before MacInnis, there was Wilson.

39 goals in a single season for a D-Man- THAT'S IMPRESSIVE. Other than Coffey, nobody has come close...

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
Mark Howe??

Better than Housley?

NO WAY.

Howe was a human pylon who was fortunate to be on a Flyers team with stacked depth.

Terribly overrated.

OTOH, I do think Doug Wilson is HHOF worthy. He was like Al MacInnis in a way- BIG SLAPSHOT!

39 goals in a single season for a D-Man- THAT'S IMPRESSIVE. Other than Coffey, nobody has come close...

you mean since the 80's right? because Robert Orr ...well you know the rest.

Diving Pokecheck*

My choices:

Housley

Adam Oates

Doug Gilmour

Glenn Anderson

Go right ahead.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Mark Howe??

Better than Housley?

NO WAY.

Terribly overrated.

Well, some guy named Orr once had 46 goals...

I really like Wilson. I don't think he belongs. There are three all-star team selections. When he was healthy, he was terrific. But he couldn't stay healthy. And that's why he's not in the HHOF.

Howe was a three-time first-team all-star. He's the only defenceman with three first-team all-star selections to not be in the HHOF. And there was some imporessive talent for competition - Coffey, Bourque, MacInnis, Langway, Potvin, Robinson, Wilson. Housley was a one-time second-team all-star.

There's a reason why Mark Howe is consistently the first name mentioned when discussing the best defencemen not in the HHOF.

Aren't you also the same guy who called Brad Park overrated?

Not hard to figure out.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Mark Howe??

Better than Housley?

NO WAY.

Terribly overrated.

Huh?

There's a reason Howe was runner-up for the Norris three times, and nearly won it in 1983 in a very close vote with Langway. Howe would score about 10 points/season less than Housley, but defensively they weren't even close. Howe absolutely blows Housley out of the water, career-wise.

And when you add in WHA totals, he has more career points, too.

He was also top-5 in Norris voting as a Hartford Whaler, so that kinda throws the 'stacked Philly team' argument out the window, too.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I really like Wilson. I don't think he belongs. There are three all-star team selections. When he was healthy, he was terrific. But he couldn't stay healthy. And that's why he's not in the HHOF.

He wasn't hurt that much ... only once in his prime seasons between 1979 and 1990 did he miss more than 15 games. He missed 8 or 10 games a lot of years, but he wasn't exactly a Paul Reinhart who had a really stunted career. Most years, he played 70+ games.

Wilson is an interesting case because he's really close as a player, and since his playing career has had a very strong career as an NHL executive. If SJ wins a Cup under his watch, does that spill over into his HHOF resume? I tend to think it does.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Go right ahead.

Well, you can make a point that he was better than Edgar Laprade, Dick Duff, and to a certain extent Leo Boivin - say what you want, but Housley's skillset is much more scarce. For sure there are better guys not in than worse guys in. Housley is QUITE FAR from the bottom-tier of HHOF'ers D-Men a-la Allan Stanley. (geez, .. is Stanley in?).

As a sidenote, Housley's closest comparable in hockey history - IMO, it's Flash Hollett - isn't even in.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
He wasn't hurt that much ... only once in his prime seasons between 1979 and 1990 did he miss more than 15 games. He missed 8 or 10 games a lot of years, but he wasn't exactly a Paul Reinhart who had a really stunted career. Most years, he played 70+ games.

Wilson is an interesting case because he's really close as a player, and since his playing career has had a very strong career as an NHL executive. If SJ wins a Cup under his watch, does that spill over into his HHOF resume? I tend to think it does.

It shouldn't, but it happened to a lesser player - Bob Pulford -, so....
He lacks a cup, though.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Well, you can make a point that he was better than Edgar Laprade, Dick Duff, and to a certain extent Leo Boivin - say what you want, but Housley's skillset is much more scarce. For sure there are better guys not in than worse guys in. Housley is QUITE FAR from the bottom-tier of HHOF'ers D-Men a-la Allan Stanley. (geez, .. is Stanley in?).

As a sidenote, Housley's closest comparable in hockey history - IMO, it's Flash Hollett - isn't even in.
MS accurately made the Housley-Hollett comparison about a year ago. Hollett was an awesome offensive defenceman. Not just the 20 goals in the war year. (Hollett was the first defenceman to hit 20 goals). But Hollett was consistently a one-dimensional offensive defenceman who was consistently in the top three for defencemen scoring in his career. Yet Hollett garnered only two all-star spots.

worstfaceoffmanever

These Snacks Are Odd
Jun 2, 2007
Fargo, ND
Mark Howe??

Better than Housley?

NO WAY.

Terribly overrated.

Was this the same pylon that scored 50+ points in the NHL 9 times (1977-1988), 60+ points four times, 80+ points twice scored 20 goals twice, came close 4 more times, was on four Cup finalists, a 3-time All-Star, 3-time Norris finalist, is in the US Hockey Hall of Fame and is heralded as one of the best, or at the very least most popular defensemen in Flyers' history?

Dark Shadows

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
www.robotnik.com
Mark Howe??

Better than Housley?

NO WAY.

Terribly overrated.

Oh good god..........This is among the worst posts I have read in a long long time.

Phil Housley couldn't hold Mark Howe's jock. I don't care how many goals Housley potted. He couldn't play a lick of defense to save his life. He scored those points by putting himself and his team in terrible positions to a degree even Coffey would not do.

Mark Howe was a great defenseman who spent many of his prime years playing in the WHA putting up fantastic numbers. In his first NHL season he put up 80 points(Something you don't do being a "pylon") and had a near career ending injury in his second season.

Hell, Now I rank +/- as one of the most unreliable statistics out there because it is primarily a team stat, but Howe managed to get a +85 in 1985-86 with 82 points. Brad McCrimmon was next with +83, but the next closest on the entire team was +28.

"Pylon" Howe was also a 3 time Runner up for the Norris trophy against some of the toughest competition ever. Something Housley never even got remotely close to when he was scoring 97 points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad