OT: HFWings Keeper Fantasy Hockey League: Season Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Josh bailey, take 2! He has an interesting player history this season

Because his output is 10s or 0s. I had him for a pair of 10s and thought I was a genius. Then he posts up 5 straight games of nothing. And I don't mean like 4 points nothing. Nothing nothing!

I'm out on those Islanders. Don't trust um.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Anthony Mantha, welcome back buddy. 11 points first game back, that a boy. Please reward my inability to find a trade for you.

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
That postponed game really hurts for me. I had two players in it and my opponent didn't have any. Doh.

Ottawa putting a bunch of shots inn Grubauer and not scoring also hurts.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Looking like Weber could be done for the season. Well, drat.

I'm in the market for a high end defender. Got an old vet you're looking to shed?

Eastopia

Custom Title User
May 26, 2012
Well, not so fast. I think the intent of the "rollover" year was if the player has freshly crossed the 55 game threshold within that season. Heiskanen played all 82 games last year, so last season would have been his "rollover" year. @Eternal Sunshine and @Winger98 can comment more, as this is something they brought to my attention.

The ideal use for a rollover year would have been Rassumusen. A guy who played over 55 games, lost "prospect" status, but then promptly went back to the AHL. So he no longer fits our initial criteria, but he's definitely still a prospect. This gives you a year to hang onto him and hope he can develop, assuming you've put that initial draft capital into him.

Another example would be Martin Necas. He's not all that fantasy relevant this year and taking up a veteran spot. If you've been rostering him for a few years, how awful you'd lose him next year (he probably doesn't make a person's veteran keeper list) because he finally crossed the 55 game threshold this season. Allowing that extra season means you can keep Necas and hopefully get a decent return on him next season after years invested.

It's confusing, I know, but that's the nature of trying to make a system that is fair, customizable, and suits the needs of everyone. Either we have complicated rules or we simply have players that fall through the cracks that probably shouldn't.

Before the season concludes, I'll draft up a full list of rules and such and publish it somewhere that doesn't get lost like this thread.

Yeah, that makes sense but it means that the tough decision I was trying to avoid still has to be made. Sigh. Guess that can’t be helped.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Yeah, that makes sense but it means that the tough decision I was trying to avoid still has to be made. Sigh. Guess that can’t be helped.

The good news is the rest of us are also forced to cut great players so the draft will at least be exciting. Particularly for those collecting draft picks and selecting at the beginning of the round.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Question for you @Bench, how is it that I'm ranked #2 above Sparty when he has a better record and more points than me? Not that I'm complaining, just curious how the rankings are formatted.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Isn't that how most sports leagues work?
I'm not exactly sure how our rankings work. Does a guaranteed number of teams make the playoffs per conference regardless of rankings? If so it would make sense but I think it would have separate rankings for the conferences. So a #1 rank for each division and go on from there. Just a little confused is all.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I'm not exactly sure how our rankings work. Does a guaranteed number of teams make the playoffs per conference regardless of rankings? If so it would make sense but I think it would have separate rankings for the conferences. So a #1 rank for each division and go on from there. Just a little confused is all.

Same as last year.

6 teams make the playoffs. Top 2 seeds are the winners of the conference. Conference winners get a first round bye. Teams ranked 3-6 battle it out in round 1. Total points break the record tie.

To your point, at this stage, 4 playoff teams would come from your conference, 2 from mine. Turk is currently winning the tiebreaker with Martinez, otherwise it would be an even 3-3 split, for example.

Last edited:

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I'm selling. The logical building block young guys are not for sale (Petterson, Svech, Gibson, Mathews, etc.) Make me some offers!

Picks or a good forward or goalie prospect.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Same as last year.

6 teams make the playoffs. Top 2 seeds are the winners of the conference. Conference winners get a first round bye. Teams ranked 3-6 battle it out in round 1. Total points break the record tie.

To your point, at this stage, 4 playoff teams would come from your conference, 2 from mine. Turk is currently winning the tiebreaker with Martinez, otherwise it would be an even 3-3 split, for example.

How do we create rivalries with this weird wildcard format...

Your conference needs to be your conference! :sarcasm:

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
How do we create rivalries with this weird wildcard format...

Your conference needs to be your conference! :sarcasm:

You guys have beef with Yahoo. And this is why we're not getting any help from the Buffalo Bigcat.

ALSO! RULES ANNOUNCEMENT

Given that there has been no vocal disagreement in weeks, I believe we should officially enact the "roll-over" year rule. This rule is intended to allow teams to carry over a player that is still within the year limit (3 years skater, 5 years goalie) BUT is over 55 games. The roll-over can only happen the first season immediately following the player breaking 55 games. So you could not roll-over someone like McDavid twice, for example.

If you wish to roll-over a player, he counts in your NA slot. So if you have 1 roll-over player and 3 NA prospects, you must drop 1 NA prospect at the time of the draft.

This rule is intended to encourage teams being able to hold on fringe prospects during the off-season. Obviously this will also benefit really elite players maintaining prospect status for another season, but the number of 19-year-olds that produce at a high enough clip to exploit this rule is very low.

A perfect example is Kaapo Kakko. He will cross the 55 game threshold this season. TZE would be forced to claim his as a veteran in his 8 under the old rules. Despite Kakko coming in at rank 436 so far - production not even worth a waiver wire claim. So it makes perfect sense to be able to roll him over one more season as a prospect. Kakko will be forced to be claimed as a veteran keeper the following season, though.

Please keep this change in mind as we approach the FEBRUARY 19th TRADE DEADLINE.

If there is a question about who is and isn't a roll-over, air it out now. The most confusing instances will be UDFA players who come from Europe. We could, in theory, have 25-year-old roll-overs.

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
My roster is old, I don't have a single player who meets these criteria, lol. Eric Cernak played 58 games last year...just missed it!

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
You guys have beef with Yahoo. And this is why we're not getting any help from the Buffalo Bigcat.

ALSO! RULES ANNOUNCEMENT

Given that there has been no vocal disagreement in weeks, I believe we should officially enact the "roll-over" year rule. This rule is intended to allow teams to carry over a player that is still within the year limit (3 years skater, 5 years goalie) BUT is over 55 games. The roll-over can only happen the first season immediately following the player breaking 55 games. So you could not roll-over someone like McDavid twice, for example.

If you wish to roll-over a player, he counts in your NA slot. So if you have 1 roll-over player and 3 NA prospects, you must drop 1 NA prospect at the time of the draft.

This rule is intended to encourage teams being able to hold on fringe prospects during the off-season. Obviously this will also benefit really elite players maintaining prospect status for another season, but the number of 19-year-olds that produce at a high enough clip to exploit this rule is very low.

A perfect example is Kaapo Kakko. He will cross the 55 game threshold this season. TZE would be forced to claim his as a veteran in his 8 under the old rules. Despite Kakko coming in at rank 436 so far - production not even worth a waiver wire claim. So it makes perfect sense to be able to roll him over one more season as a prospect. Kakko will be forced to be claimed as a veteran keeper the following season, though.

Please keep this change in mind as we approach the FEBRUARY 19th TRADE DEADLINE.

If there is a question about who is and isn't a roll-over, air it out now. The most confusing instances will be UDFA players who come from Europe. We could, in theory, have 25-year-old roll-overs.
something something OLDOLDMANYELLSATCLOUD.GIF something something

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
My roster is old, I don't have a single player who meets these criteria, lol. Eric Cernak played 58 games last year...just missed it!

You and I have that in common. My keeper list is a retirement home. So initially I thought I could roll-over Fox (2016 draft) and Elvis (2014 draft). But nope, both are 1 year shy of our guidelines. Then I thought "Oh right, Gusev maybe?" But he was drafted ages ago (2012) and I totally forgot about it.

So... this system is personally screwing me already. The only bright-spot is I can roll-over MacKenzie Blackwood. But what the hell do I do with Elvis? And Fox is 21-years-old yet he's slippin' through the cracks!

Ahh beans. Next season could be really rough for me. I will absolutely hope to regain some draft capital from folks that want to lock in a few of my not-quite-keepers in the off-season.

Remember, if we allow off-season trading, that means you could trade a player like... Adam Fox. Or someone like Jonathan Marchessault, Burns, Klingberg or Kopitar. Some good names there going back into the pool perhaps. Maybe he makes your top 8 for the low-low price of whatever the hell draft pick you'll give me. Because if I'm just dumping him back into the draft pool, you can assure you get him locked in. There's some interesting scenarios there to explore. People could upgrade their keeper list and keep some great players out of the hands of other teams?

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
You and I have that in common. My keeper list is a retirement home. So initially I thought I could roll-over Fox (2016 draft) and Elvis (2014 draft). But nope, both are 1 year shy of our guidelines. Then I thought "Oh right, Gusev maybe?" But he was drafted ages ago (2012) and I totally forgot about it.

So... this system is personally screwing me already. The only bright-spot is I can roll-over MacKenzie Blackwood. But what the hell do I do with Elvis? And Fox is 21-years-old yet he's slippin' through the cracks!

Ahh beans. Next season could be really rough for me. I will absolutely hope to regain some draft capital from folks that want to lock in a few of my not-quite-keepers in the off-season.

Remember, if we allow off-season trading, that means you could trade a player like... Adam Fox. Or someone like Jonathan Marchessault, Burns, Klingberg or Kopitar. Some good names there going back into the pool perhaps. Maybe he makes your top 8 for the low-low price of whatever the hell draft pick you'll give me. Because if I'm just dumping him back into the draft pool, you can assure you get him locked in. There's some interesting scenarios there to explore. People could upgrade their keeper list and keep some great players out of the hands of other teams?
Interesting strategy. Us buyers and the trade deadline can then go around and sell these guys to the lower seeded teams and recoup some of our draft picks back.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Interesting strategy. Us buyers and the trade deadline can then go around and sell these guys to the lower seeded teams and recoup some of our draft picks back.

Possibly. But I can't imagine the market will be too great. Most of these guys were not in the top 8 for guys to begin with. I can see a scenario where maybe a rebuilding team thinks they can compete this year so they throw me a bone for Burns, ya know? But I doubt it's more than 3rd.

Off-season trading will mostly be for people to swap keepers or prospects if they want. Like BinCookin has that injured Tarasenko sitting on the shelf. Would make perfect sense to move him in the off-season, since who would want to trade a bunch of assets this year to have him play zero games?

I think the off-season trades let you get value out of guys that got wrecked by injury. Seth Jones is out for the season. That's another good example. He's obviously a keeper guy, but it would suck if you were simply placed into this position of "I HAVE TO KEEP HIM" no matter what after a major injury.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Possibly. But I can't imagine the market will be too great. Most of these guys were not in the top 8 for guys to begin with. I can see a scenario where maybe a rebuilding team thinks they can compete this year so they throw me a bone for Burns, ya know? But I doubt it's more than 3rd.

Off-season trading will mostly be for people to swap keepers or prospects if they want. Like BinCookin has that injured Tarasenko sitting on the shelf. Would make perfect sense to move him in the off-season, since who would want to trade a bunch of assets this year to have him play zero games?
I can see someone taking a Wilson or Tatar for some picks. Still young enough that they can be a keep on their team for a while but have no room on my team.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I can see someone taking a Wilson or Tatar for some picks. Still young enough that they can be a keep on their team for a while but have no room on my team.

You got it. Really strong teams can get a little draft capital. And teams looking to compete faster could lock in a player they love for a cheap draft pick. I'd easily throw a fringe guy back into the draft pool, keep my collection of early round picks, throw you a mid rounder for Tatar, and boom... better team right out of the gate.

I'm in "win now" mode at the moment, but I'd like there to be options for me in place when my team sucks soon, haha.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Taking offers on Dahlin. Looking for draft picks. Any owner looking to have him as a keeper might be good getting him now as I might not be keeping him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad