OT: HFWings Keeper Fantasy Hockey League: Season Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I'm not quite sure I'm understanding the issue fully. If I allow people to take less than 11 players each season and jump the draft order, then trading draft picks becomes worthless.

Here's what you do to rebuild. You select your best 8 players with 3 prospects. You trade off anyone not on that list. Also, if you want more draft picks, you are free to keep lesser players.

Then next year while the buying teams are stuck with draft leftovers, you've once again collected 4 or more picks ahead of them.

Also, this idea that your team is hopeless is pretty offbase. You have some of the best keepers on our entire league and you are only 80 points behind my team. That's only 16 points per week. And my team is only getting older and slowing down, yours will get better next year and you'll probably have far better picks again.

There's going to be excellent players available in the draft next year. If you stack picks in the early rounds your team will be immediately competitive.

You got first crack at the top prospects in the league, potentially dynasty players... I'm not sure what else we can do... You got Huges and Kakko in your first season and 3 top 50 goalies. That feels like a pretty impressive expansion haul to build on.
Wait, do we get 8 keepers plus 3 prospects? I was under the impression it was 10 keepers plus 3 prospects.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Wait, do we get 8 keepers plus 3 prospects? I was under the impression it was 10 keepers plus 3 prospects.

It's 8 now, just like this year, because I want to keep the draft pool relevant for teams that finish lower. You can see how thankful they are that I'm trying to make it fun for everyone by doing so.

So basically I'm getting complaints from lower ranked teams before this and now I'll get them from the higher ranked teams like yours.

Today I'm thankful that I can hand over commish duties to the next volunteer.

Reactions: martinez

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
It's 8 now, just like this year, because I want to keep the draft pool relevant for teams that finish lower. You can see how thankful they are that I'm trying to make it fun for everyone by doing so.

So basically I'm getting complaints from lower ranked teams before this and now I'll get them from the higher ranked teams like yours.

Not complaining just wanted clarification as I was trying to trade for another keeper lol

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015

8 is good, most keeper leagues keep like 5. Unless we want a full on dynasty league 8 is plenty. TZE has a very good core to build around with us keeping 8 and everyone was able to keep their own core intact.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

giphy.gif

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
wow, @Ricelund getting absolutely boned in this trade. Have to wonder if shenanigans is going on since its a trade involving the commish??? 2 top 60 players for a jump to the 4th round from the 7th??? Def some shenanigans going on!!! I CALL BULL****!!! lol

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
wow, @Ricelund getting absolutely boned in this trade. Have to wonder if shenanigans is going on since its a trade involving the commish??? 2 top 60 players for a jump to the 4th round from the 7th??? Def some shenanigans going on!!! I CALL BULL****!!! lol
No shenanigans, just trading Weber while he's at his peak for two young studs (Necas and Tuch).

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
Isn't swapping a 4th and 7th round pick essentially moot since our eight keepers are being drafted in the first eight rounds (and that's not even taking into account our prospects in the next three rounds?

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Isn't swapping a 4th and 7th round pick essentially moot since our eight keepers are being drafted in the first eight rounds (and that's not even taking into account our prospects in the next three rounds?

It changed so it’s the final 8 picks that are moot. At least that’s what I interpreted from @Bench

Reactions: Bench

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
regardless, a 4th round pick isn't going to get you anyone special especially with the amount of teams we have now and especially for top 60 players.

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
It changed so it’s the final 8 picks that are moot. At least that’s what I interpreted from @Bench

I had a hard time following that conversation. It was my assumption that if moving the keepers to the end of the draft was an option to us we would have already done it that way, because why would anyone choose to do it the way we just did?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
regardless, a 4th round pick isn't going to get you anyone special especially with the amount of teams we have now and especially for top 60 players.

Weber is 34 and hasn't played a full season the last two years. Necas is approaching being a PPG player at age 20 on a talented young Carolina team. Tuch is a big, young goal scorer... In fact he just potted two last night AFTER we finalized the trade.

This is a win this year but next year... Dunno? I've given talented young players that are gonna be great for many seasons.

Reactions: Ricelund

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I had a hard time following that conversation. It was my assumption that if moving the keepers to the end of the draft was an option to us we would have already done it that way, because why would anyone choose to do it the way we just did?

Because I had like 2 hours to setup an expansion draft. We don't have any new teams next year and I have all summer to set the picks properly.

Reactions: Sparty

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Weber is 34 and hasn't played a full season the last two years. Necas is approaching being a PPG player at age 20 on a talented young Carolina team. Tuch is a big, young goal scorer... In fact he just potted two last night AFTER we finalized the trade.

This is a win this year but next year... Dunno? I've given talented young players that are gonna be great for many seasons.
Shenanigans!!! I'm just busting balls is all

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Shenanigans!!! I'm just busting balls is all

Haha. The shenanigans was we had a conversation for a few weeks and worked out something we would both be happy with.

Anyway, my team is old as dirt now.

EDIT: And I have like half the Canadians and Blues rosters. Taking offers on Petry now to unclog that blueline.

Last edited:

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
Getting all the defensemen on a team that just lost 8-1, what could go wrong?

I'm all over Vegas players and just got tired of waiting on Stastny to do something. If he doesn't score a goal he doesn't do anything else. Loses a bunch of faceoffs and doesn't tick any of the other stat boxes. Had him last year too, so I should have known not to take him so early.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Getting all the defensemen on a team that just lost 8-1, what could go wrong?

I'm all over Vegas players and just got tired of waiting on Stastny to do something. If he doesn't score a goal he doesn't do anything else. Loses a bunch of faceoffs and doesn't tick any of the other stat boxes. Had him last year too, so I should have known not to take him so early.

Theodore is so hot and cold for me. Marchessault weathers the streaks by taking lots of shots at least.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I’d rather have the players @Ricelund received, for what it’s worth. Good trade

Glad to see people are split on who won. That means it's probably pretty good value. I thought it was fair. I get the most satisfaction when trades are win-win for folks, instead of "Haha that fool!"

@Eternal Sunshine and I had a trade I was regretting. Wheeler+O'Reilly for Crosby+Conner+2nd. Wheeler and O'Reilly were top 30 players last year and have been pretty, pretty sluggish this season to start - but have both recently come alive a bit, particularly Wheeler.

And Crosby, of course is hurt. That was always my long-term concern with him. Although my concern was another concussion, not a hernia. So if you take into account the injury, I guess I'm coming out ahead right now... but unless Wheeler keeps pace, losing Connor is a blow. I'm going to feel the same way about Necas when Weber is sliding.

I gotta beat you boys in the next season or two, then I'll tear it all down and start over with my young goalies and Adam Fox. I didn't draft any star young talent like Eichel or McDavid I can lean on for another decade. Oops.

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
My best player has been sitting for the last five games just because he's old and not even hurt (Bergeron).

Only young guy I have worth a damn is Draisatl, but he just really blossomed last year and wasn't even a really high pick for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad