OT: HFWings Keeper Fantasy Hockey League: Season Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Oh hi, Klingberg, thanks for basically doubling your point total in one game. How nice of you to join the season.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Rantanen and Landeskog due to come back soon

Vps.gif

Reactions: turkleton85

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
To be honest I didn't check how long he was out for.
Maybe wait a while?

Tarasenko is a hard sell. He's going to be out the entire fantasy season. Anyone trading for him would also presumably using a keeper spot on him. And finally you're hoping his shoulder injury, which is pretty serious, won't influence a huge part of his game - his sick snipes.

That said I'm interested.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Tarasenko is a hard sell. He's going to be out the entire fantasy season. Anyone trading for him would also presumably using a keeper spot on him. And finally you're hoping his shoulder injury, which is pretty serious, won't influence a huge part of his game - his sick snipes.

That said I'm interested.

Oh Jeez. Imma have to look up his injury now...

Oct 29 he had Shoulder Surgery, re-evaluated in 5 months. Yup you are right, he is out most of the season.
I was trying to trade him because im just not a big Senko fan :P

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Oh Jeez. Imma have to look up his injury now...

Oct 29 he had Shoulder Surgery, re-evaluated in 5 months. Yup you are right, he is out most of the season.
I was trying to trade him because im just not a big Senko fan :P

Would be interested, my team isn't going anywhere in an expansion year and he could be a keeper for me.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
So If I got some draft picks in a trade offer... how would this work when mixed with keepers.

What if one GM keeps less players.

What kind of player can I get with a round 1 pick; round 5; round 11?

Our my keepers "auto" selections for Round 1-8 draft picks? (if so is there any difference between me trading pick 1 or pick 9 to someone?)

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
So If I got some draft picks in a trade offer... how would this work when mixed with keepers.

What if one GM keeps less players.

What kind of player can I get with a round 1 pick; round 5; round 11?

Our my keepers "auto" selections for Round 1-8 draft picks? (if so is there any difference between me trading pick 1 or pick 9 to someone?)

I'm going to require everyone keep a set number of players. As for the draft rounds, I'll have to see how that functions. This year was different with expansion, so I don't have any experience with a normal setup with us.

If I can, I'll adjust the rounds so functionally a 5th rounder doesn't have the same value as a 1st.

IMPORTANT DRAFT PICK INFO EDIT

It looks like the solution is that our KEEPERS + PROSPECTS cab be assigned to the final 11 draft picks in the draft, not the first 11. So with that in mind, only picks 1-13 are to be traded.

Last edited:

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
That's interesting. Was that available this past draft or implemented this year? Someone could have set it their keepers get drafted last then draft the good players before everyone else? That would have been epic lol

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
That's interesting. Was that available this past draft or implemented this year? Someone could have set it their keepers get drafted last then draft the good players before everyone else? That would have been epic lol

I don't think that would have been possible. It was different this year because Frk It and TZE had to draft before all of us, so it had to be a bit wonky for expansion. But no, I think the commish sets the actual round the keepers get plucked.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I'm going to require everyone keep a set number of players. As for the draft rounds, I'll have to see how that functions. This year was different with expansion, so I don't have any experience with a normal setup with us.

If I can, I'll adjust the rounds so functionally a 5th rounder doesn't have the same value as a 1st.

IMPORTANT DRAFT PICK INFO EDIT

It looks like the solution is that our KEEPERS + PROSPECTS cab be assigned to the final 11 draft picks in the draft, not the first 11. So with that in mind, only picks 1-13 are to be traded.

That basically ruins my team strategy and makes playing pretty dis-interesting. I have no desire to protect 11 or even 8 guys as I don't have 8 keepers, I have to keep shuffling the deck for a few years to get them. But I shouldn't be punished by surrendering low picks.

I really don't get how tricky this concept has been, I have been pointing it out for 6 months now. A Keeper roster is just an off-season roster. You lock in your spots in correlation to the round you're selecting in. Your highest ranked keeper is selecting your first round pick, your second highest your second round pick and so on and so forth. If you choose to have 5 keepers you are selecting your first five rounds of players if you choose to have 11 you're selecting your first 11 rounds of players. Dropping the prospects to the final three rounds would be different in my opinion. But this is why the auto-setting works that way, in terms of pretty much every online platform I have ever seen. Is what it is, cannot say I am following religiously, I set the team each week for competitive balance, but I have no prayer of competing, my only hope was to take high ranking rookies and keep them over a few years and build out for two or three years down the road. This switch in the rules would be extremely detrimental to that goal.

I mean I am can tell you without even lying to the board my plan is to dump players collect three to six actual keepers and select Byfield and Lafreniere types before you can even pick. Like I did with Hughes and Kakko while not expecting big years. Reality of joining the league, is I have to acquire guys that develop into keepers because the top 100 players were not available.

Now you're somewhat putting forward the draft will be slanted? Essentially in your expansion draft year in real life they ding your draft position and you don't get to pick great guys because they don't want to harm the teams that played. Get that, Vegas you pick 6th and had third place lottery odds. Okay that makes sense. Now imagine you cannot draft higher in the following few years, huh, going to finish last and don't have 8 keepers. Turning keeper or off-season roster slots for picks with more favorable selections to acquire actual keepers has to be the strategy... Kind of at a loss.

Don't want to come off as a malcontent, but seriously not even going to hide, my strategy going into this year was hopefully to collect three or four keepers, hopefully do that the following year and start competing in year three. That was sort of down to the actual normal draft rules, it doesn't really work as a plan with the rules changing on the draft.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I have an incredible skill of checking my lineup 2 minutes after games start. Missed another goalie start :(

I have to sit down over the holiday weekend and set like a few months. Some of the auto-play decisions are perplexing. I know it is lazy to just use the feature, but why in the world would you sit my starting goalie and 6th round pick for a waiver backup not playing??? Why would I bench my highest scoring center... Really don't get some of the yahoo starting things, when I get back from the gym after work in time to fix them that night it is great. Just have to make it a part of my Sunday Lions losing ritual to set the lineup manually. It seems like the auto-start will help, it really just gives you a false sense of security that everyone that should be playing is...:laugh:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Open for business by the way, looking for future assets or young players with keeper potential.

Guessing Gallagher, JT Miller and those types could help some of the better teams.

@BinCookin Tarasenko, Hronek/McAvoy and some other asset for Gallagher and Letang/Giordano is something I am willing to do. Gives you immediate help and upgrades my keepers in future years.

But more to just the general board outside of Hughes and Kakko, I am looking for a long-ranging shakeup. I like my three goalies and if I am forced to select 8 keepers pending @Bench making that final decision they will be harder to pry, I need to start shifting out some of these very good mid-tier players that will help the good teams but don't do much for me for some things with upside.

Something Something US Thanksgiving per Friedman and Bobby Mac, TZE looks for cultural change admits playoffs are a pipe dream...:laugh:

Last edited:

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
That basically ruins my team strategy and makes playing pretty dis-interesting. I have no desire to protect 11 or even 8 guys as I don't have 8 keepers, I have to keep shuffling the deck for a few years to get them. But I shouldn't be punished by surrendering low picks.

I really don't get how tricky this concept has been, I have been pointing it out for 6 months now. A Keeper roster is just an off-season roster. You lock in your spots in correlation to the round you're selecting in. Your highest ranked keeper is selecting your first round pick, your second highest your second round pick and so on and so forth. If you choose to have 5 keepers you are selecting your first five rounds of players if you choose to have 11 you're selecting your first 11 rounds of players. Dropping the prospects to the final three rounds would be different in my opinion. But this is why the auto-setting works that way, in terms of pretty much every online platform I have ever seen. Is what it is, cannot say I am following religiously, I set the team each week for competitive balance, but I have no prayer of competing, my only hope was to take high ranking rookies and keep them over a few years and build out for two or three years down the road. This switch in the rules would be extremely detrimental to that goal.

I mean I am can tell you without even lying to the board my plan is to dump players collect three to six actual keepers and select Byfield and Lafreniere types before you can even pick. Like I did with Hughes and Kakko while not expecting big years. Reality of joining the league, is I have to acquire guys that develop into keepers because the top 100 players were not available.

Now you're somewhat putting forward the draft will be slanted? Essentially in your expansion draft year in real life they ding your draft position and you don't get to pick great guys because they don't want to harm the teams that played. Get that, Vegas you pick 6th and had third place lottery odds. Okay that makes sense. Now imagine you cannot draft higher in the following few years, huh, going to finish last and don't have 8 keepers. Turning keeper or off-season roster slots for picks with more favorable selections to acquire actual keepers has to be the strategy... Kind of at a loss.

Don't want to come off as a malcontent, but seriously not even going to hide, my strategy going into this year was hopefully to collect three or four keepers, hopefully do that the following year and start competing in year three. That was sort of down to the actual normal draft rules, it doesn't really work as a plan with the rules changing on the draft.

I'm not quite sure I'm understanding the issue fully. If I allow people to take less than 11 players each season and jump the draft order, then trading draft picks becomes worthless.

Here's what you do to rebuild. You select your best 8 players with 3 prospects. You trade off anyone not on that list. Also, if you want more draft picks, you are free to keep lesser players.

Then next year while the buying teams are stuck with draft leftovers, you've once again collected 4 or more picks ahead of them.

Also, this idea that your team is hopeless is pretty offbase. You have some of the best keepers on our entire league and you are only 80 points behind my team. That's only 16 points per week. And my team is only getting older and slowing down, yours will get better next year and you'll probably have far better picks again.

There's going to be excellent players available in the draft next year. If you stack picks in the early rounds your team will be immediately competitive.

You got first crack at the top prospects in the league, potentially dynasty players... I'm not sure what else we can do... You got Huges and Kakko in your first season and 3 top 50 goalies. That feels like a pretty impressive expansion haul to build on.

Reactions: mantha39

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I'm not quite sure I'm understanding the issue fully. If I allow people to take less than 11 players each season and jump the draft order, then trading draft picks becomes worthless.

Here's what you do to rebuild. You select your best 8 players with 3 prospects. You trade off anyone not on that list. Also, if you want more draft picks, you are free to keep lesser players.

Then next year while the buying teams are stuck with draft leftovers, you've once again collected 4 or more picks ahead of them.

Also, this idea that your team is hopeless is pretty offbase. You have some of the best keepers on our entire league and you are only 80 points behind my team. That's only 16 points per week. And my team is only getting older and slowing down, yours will get better next year and you'll probably have far better picks again.

There's going to be excellent players available in the draft next year. If you stack picks in the early rounds your team will be immediately competitive.

The point is that passing on keepers should give you the flexibility to draft at the front of the draft not in the middle rounds because the keeper selections are attached to bottom values. Think of it like how Baseball does compensatory picks. Not having a fifth or sixth keeper gives you fifth or sixth round picking status while others lock it in is the sense of it. Is what it is, clearly outgunned here and this thing is a democracy or @Bench ocracy... haha I am just saying that was my outright plan, might have sunk another big name goalie before you could all pick and carry out an entirely different strategy this year. But I basically decided on keeping about four guys entering the year and built that philosophy into my draft. I will switch gears is all.

Yeah have to get used to it and the different categories, part of my problem is righting this with a keeper league that has been going on for a decade that I play in, where we only keep four keepers and have a different head to head category system. But evolved there, again not trying to high jack this process, just giving my two cents. I will abide by what happens just throwing stuff at the wall.

Yeah my team isn't as bad as I thought it would be in all honesty, just short of elite talent at this point, star players usually tip the balance on me in tight contests... Hey what team do we know with that problem... Scans standings of all Detroit sports teams and sees them in deadlast... Oh yeah...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad