HFWF OT XX: The OT Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
bc as you get older, it slows down

I've researched the hell out of this and while basic science can allude to it, there are so many examples of that not being the case. For me, personally, i'm in the best shape of my life and just turned 34 in July. I call absolute bull crap on metabolism slowing down. I'm playing tennis/hockey against collegiate athletes and they are out of breath and i'm almost twice their age and not.

So i don't know. I think people use metabolism as an excuse. While it probably, without a doubt, slows down... I think the limiting factors of being in shape are drastically overblown.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I don't think metabolism is an excuse, its actually more of a motivator if anything to be more health conscious as you get older. Hence me not wanting to eat 3k calories per day and a lot of junk at my age, compared to say when I was 25 years old where you don't care as much. :laugh:

I mean, having to be more conscious of what you eat when you get older is not a crazy viewpoint, I think it is pretty common. You're in great shape, but I bet you have to work harder to stay in that great shape compared to someone who is 25, no? Or when you were 25. I mean look at your older pro athletes and the diet regiments they have to keep up with guys who are in their 20s. Chara, Chelios, etc.

I think the most disheartening thing ever was when me and friends went on a cruise when we were all 30, and I gained 12 pounds in one week from it. I didnt even eat anything too crazy although overall not super healthy, I just didnt exercise.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Total serum T levels start decreasing 1-2% each year starting in your late 20s or early 30s.

kvir-08-05-1259053-g001.jpg

Reactions: Fro

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Total serum T levels start decreasing 1-2% each year starting in your late 20s or early 30s.

kvir-08-05-1259053-g001.jpg

So i've constantly seen this and have seen studies. I think these types of charts can be misleading, such as two examples:

1) Protein Synthesis in the "anabolic window": You will see a similar chart showing protein synthesis in the anabolic window, but TONS of studies now show it actually has no difference to getting the same protein in an entire day.

2) Testosterone boosters: You will see spikes similar to this chart to people who take boosters, but the actual impact is so minimal that it makes such a tiny difference and is not worth taking.

So that's where i'm hung up. I've seen charts before like this and long term studies never directly put a tangible impact on top of the spikes.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
My point was simply that there are underlying physiological changes that make it 1) Harder to gain/maintain muscle mass and 2) Easier to gain body fat. Those are in addition to the following age-related changes:

3. Decrease in max heart rate.
4. Decrease in max lung capacity.
5. Decrease in blood flow to the brain (affects CNS reaction/reflexes).
6. Loss of muscle and bone mass.

Enjoy it while you can, because soon enough:

7. Time's Up!

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I know when I’m in my 30s I won’t be able to stuff my face with 3000+ calories like I do now, so I’m definitely enjoying it while I can lol.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I was just talking about intermittent fasting I don’t even try to do it but it’s just how I eat normally.

I only eat between 1-7pm every day because I don’t do breakfast

I also don’t have the same metabolism as someone in their 20s.

Still trying to figure that one out. :D

Laughed reading all this because I can relate, other than that Mediterranean diet nonsense earlier. If only I liked that stuff. :D Thank God my job is only partially at a desk. Anyway, when you figure that one out let me know.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Laughed reading all this because I can relate, other than that Mediterranean diet nonsense earlier. If only I liked that stuff. :D Thank God my job is only partially at a desk. Anyway, when you figure that one out let me know.

Wait how can you not like Mediterranean food??? It’s so damn good.

Reactions: CHGoalie27
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad