OT: HFPens Disco: PS5? New loafers? New glasses? Booze? Food? Dogs? Cats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Throw me some pictures of sunglasses that look sexy. I hate dark dark dark tint. I was thinking of a light tint aviator. Something sexy but not stupid.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Also yes. Getting zapped can kill ya or at least f*** you up.

What are you using for your 6v6s Willy? I gotta put new glass in my Dynacord and it's roughly the same circuit.

Man I wish I had access to old glass (I do but not enough to fill out a DRRI - mostly 12AU7 and 12AX7 from old organs I've scrapped) but I think I'm gonna go with either Genalex Gold Lions or more likely TAD. Either way I'm just ordering the whole shebang. Likely be like 200+ but hey... they lasted six years through HEAVY playing and shows. And they aren't all bad. But man that V2 position needs a BEEF 12AX7 to not go microphonic. Lotta stress there, I guess.

Cool thing is that the speaker is fully broken in and even with half-shit tubes it sounds great so this should really be the cherry on top. And I just re-tubed my AC15 a few weeks back so this will "finish the job" when it comes to uh... MOST of my amps.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Hahaha, yeah, I feel that. Tube amps are stupid expensive, just be glad it's not like a vintage SVT or V4.

I should also find some good 12AX7s/ECC83s because one of the pre's is going microphonic.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Hahaha, yeah, I feel that. Tube amps are stupid expensive, just be glad it's not like a vintage SVT or V4.

I should also find some good 12AX7s/ECC83s because one of the pre's is going microphonic.

Man it's probably the main pre like in my V2 position, huh?

I switched out every damned 12AX7 I have available and none would hold without issues. But frankly I've heard of plenty of people that have played with microphonic tubes so long as the whole deal sounds good.

But this needs done, regardless. I'd like to have more glass laying around anyway. I have a small Bugera V5 I use to practice at home that needs a new set, too...

Reactions: HandshakeLine

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
I hate having to buy rx sunglasses. I always see these great deals on cool, non-rx sunglasses, but then I need to add the rx and the polarization etc. and they end up costing a shit load.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Really the fun part is going to be trying to find somebody around this burned out shitburg to bias the thing because that's beyond me.

Biasing and amp work are really the only thing that I feel I absolutely need to pay someone to do with my equipment because those f***ers will kill you.

Edit: who does the amps at Southside Guitars? They were always a go to for friends back home with vintage amps.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
That's a great reason to use chopsticks. Also, because a lot of my friends here are Czech/Slovak-Vietnamese, when we hang out (in the non-plague times) we tend to either just have hot pot or nem ran or small fried snacks and chopsticks are so much easier for that kind of communal eating.

A fork just does not work for freshly fried nem ran and if you use your hands, you'll burn off your fingerprints.
Yeah, oh I miss hot pot. We used to get together with some of her friends and do those every now and then.

Slovakanese sounds cool, they should go with that.

I might have to look up that other dish you mentioned, nem ran. I am a very picky eater, so my tastes really stick to chicken or beef, sometimes pork (in gyoza and Vietnamese spring rolls).

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Throw me some pictures of sunglasses that look sexy. I hate dark dark dark tint. I was thinking of a light tint aviator. Something sexy but not stupid.
I have these that I bought and then forgot about for 4 yrs and then broke them out this summer.

prada-spr51o-1bo5z1-1.jpg

They did me well when I wanted to look like a posh wanker in my salmon shorts and polo’s with loafers on.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Nothing too exciting.

A few years back I tried Asahi Dry Black, it was a fantastic beer from what I can remember.

Yanjing makes fantastic beers I can drink now (gluten free, rice beers) and a local place here (near Squamish, I think @Tom Hanks or @66-30-33 might have tried their beers) from Backcountry Brewing “Take A Chance On Me” Rice Lager.

Also, I quite enjoyed TsingTao when I was able to.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
My dog climbed under the kids clubhouse and kept going. (Chased a rabbit) Big dog, her back touching the floor just about while laying down crawling between the joists. Had to cut up the floor to get her out. I was pissed...!

Damn that would suck. Used to have a black lab that would have adventures under the house. In the summer we’d let him do it though to beat the heat. No one really wanted to go under there if he didn’t want to come out. Lucky food bribes never failed.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
A few years back I tried Asahi Dry Black, it was a fantastic beer from what I can remember.

Yanjing makes fantastic beers I can drink now (gluten free, rice beers) and a local place here (near Squamish, I think @Tom Hanks or @66-30-33 might have tried their beers) from Backcountry Brewing “Take A Chance On Me” Rice Lager.

Wasn’t me. Never stop in Squamish except for fast food and if there’s time, fast women. There’s never time.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

AlphaMikeFoxtrots

The Sounds of Silence
Sponsor
Oct 17, 2014
Fair enough. Also I'm absolutely shocked at the mark up yinz are paying on them. Persols are around 300 EUR here.

As far as overpriced designer frames go, my Chrome Hearts probably take the cake. :laugh: f*** are those overpriced.

Look, as my sister, a gallery curator and haute art fan once said, glasses are art for the face.

As such, I'm throwing Barton Perreira, Leisure Society and Bolon into the ring. You're welcome and I'm sorry :laugh:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

TsingTao and Taiwan Beer are both surprisingly good, but that is because they were started by Czechs. :laugh:

Also Asahi has some nitro pour lager (!) in Japan that is absolutely delicious. I've never seen it outside of there, but we had it when we went to Kyoto in January (feels like forever ago) and it's smooth and creamy without being too sweet.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I hate having to buy rx sunglasses. I always see these great deals on cool, non-rx sunglasses, but then I need to add the rx and the polarization etc. and they end up costing a shit load.

It's mad cheap at Costco here in California

They'll add sunglass lenses to any frame

You can get a good looking set for under a couple hundred dollars easy

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Man it's probably the main pre like in my V2 position, huh?

I switched out every damned 12AX7 I have available and none would hold without issues. But frankly I've heard of plenty of people that have played with microphonic tubes so long as the whole deal sounds good.

But this needs done, regardless. I'd like to have more glass laying around anyway. I have a small Bugera V5 I use to practice at home that needs a new set, too...

Microphonic can be okay, but when it's combined with my Gretsch or my Jazzmaster, (which has gold foil repros in it right now) it gets a little too scooped and shrill.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
This is exactly what I was looking for. A lighter tint.. something sexy but not one of those pairs of sunglasses that make it look like it's the first time wearing sunglasses.

Dudes at weddings who wear the wrong sunglasses with their suits... DRIVES ME NUTS. :laugh:

72efe622133a3669bebd4ba7b6fd6d31.jpg

RightUnconsciousHermitcrab-max-1mb.gif

Nah, I couldn't endorse it. Me personally I have a few really nice pairs of sunglasses but I rarely wear them. Special occasions. I got a nice beater brand I like to wear daily. Sunglasses you wear to gym, car, or whatever. Then take them off. Are you going to wear 1k sunglasses basically just in the car to do daily stuff? Too scared to break them. That's why my really nice pairs don't even get used right now. I feel like dropping that money on rx you wear daily would be worth it though. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: ColePens
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad