Line Combos: HFPens Decides - 3rd Defense Pairing

Who do you want on the third defense pair? Select two.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
The one thing he may fill a role in is adding some size to Petts’s pairing which worked well with Gudbranson, but I mean even that pairing eventually fell apart in the playoffs to a degree.

His best attribute is his work in the D zone but he’s not good at stopping it coming in the D zone nor getting it out or with the puck on his stick in general

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Chuuso Ruhkola

Qk8GLj4.png

Reactions: Tom Hanks

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
The way this was done is wrong. We needed to do this one at a time for LD and RD. I am sorry but not many of us want a Pettersson-Riikola pairing. Pettersson obviously wins the LD spot so the real choice is at RD. I picked Ceci because he plays RD and went against the opponents top forwards the past few years on two different teams. That experience playing top pairing QOC opponents as your 3rd pairing RD is a nice thing to have. Ruhwedel has been a 7th and 8th defenseman his whole career and is 29. Ruhwedel is a solid injury replacement type defenseman and that is it. Have you seen Ruhwedel's QOC? Ruhwedel is one of the most sheltered defenseman in the league. Ceci has his warts but should very easily handle playing against opposing teams lesser forwards. Pettersson is a nice stabilizing presence that even made JJ look okay playing on his off side when they formed a 2nd pairing when Pettersson came over in his trade. I really think Pettersson-Ceci is going to be real solid even if pushed into second pairing duty if injuries occur. Ceci is better than JJ on his off side and better than a journeyman like Ruhwedel. If Ruhwedel played the QOC that Ceci has the past couple years he would be much worse than the analytics are for Ceci which are still better than JJ and Schultz have been while playing the tougher QOC.

Reactions: Riikolas Revenge

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
The way this was done is wrong. We needed to do this one at a time for LD and RD. I am sorry but not many of us want a Pettersson-Riikola pairing. Pettersson obviously wins the LD spot so the real choice is at RD. I picked Ceci because he plays RD and went against the opponents top forwards the past few years on two different teams. That experience playing top pairing QOC opponents as your 3rd pairing RD is a nice thing to have. Ruhwedel has been a 7th and 8th defenseman his whole career and is 29. Ruhwedel is a solid injury replacement type defenseman at that is it. Ceci has his warts but should very easily handle playing against opposing teams lesser forwards. Pettersson is a nice stabilizing presence that even made JJ look okay playing on his off side when they formed a 2nd pairing when Pettersson came over in his trade. I really think Pettersson-Ceci is going to be real solid even if pushed into second pairing duty if injuries occur. Ceci is better than JJ on his off side and better than a journeyman like Ruhwedel. If Ruhwedel played the QOC that Ceci has the past couple years he would be much worse than the analytics are for Ceci which are still better than JJ and Schultz have been while playing the tougher QOC.

Too bad. Run your own polls and threads.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
If you want to be a defensive jerk fine. If you want the real opinions of what this message board truly thinks as a whole then one position at a time is best.

Since November 9th, these threads have said "In the top 4, defenseman will not play on their "off" side" and that you should speak up if you object. Why'd you wait almost an entire month? If Riikola gets less than 50% of the vote then I'll be doing a follow up poll. This addresses your concern.

Besides, how boring would it be if we did it the way you're proposing?

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I'd be up for almost all of the defenders trying out their offside in camp, pre-season, and at the beginning of the season.

Yes. Welcome to democracy. :laugh:

After the lineup is selected, I'll have a final thread showing the lineup and asking users how they'd have theirs.
Don't get me wrong. I like what you're doing with these posts. Brings the conversation into the core areas and everyone gets to express their thoughts in a way that's well accounted for.
I woulda just tweaked the format a little bit. We could give users freedom to select their pairings/lines from all available D-men or forwards. Then when everything's tallied up from the polls of all the posts, you could make a final thread with the popular vote for the entire line-up.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Don't get me wrong. I like what you're doing with these posts. Brings the conversation into the core areas and everyone gets to express their thoughts in a way that's well accounted for.
I woulda just tweaked the format a little bit. We could give users freedom to select their pairings/lines from all available D-men or forwards. Then when everything's tallied up from the polls of all the posts, you could make a final thread with the popular vote for the entire line-up.

I mean, Randy is going out of his way to do something. I don't see any reason we should criticize his version.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
The way this was done is wrong. We needed to do this one at a time for LD and RD. I am sorry but not many of us want a Pettersson-Riikola pairing. Pettersson obviously wins the LD spot so the real choice is at RD. I picked Ceci because he plays RD and went against the opponents top forwards the past few years on two different teams. That experience playing top pairing QOC opponents as your 3rd pairing RD is a nice thing to have. Ruhwedel has been a 7th and 8th defenseman his whole career and is 29. Ruhwedel is a solid injury replacement type defenseman and that is it. Have you seen Ruhwedel's QOC? Ruhwedel is one of the most sheltered defenseman in the league. Ceci has his warts but should very easily handle playing against opposing teams lesser forwards. Pettersson is a nice stabilizing presence that even made JJ look okay playing on his off side when they formed a 2nd pairing when Pettersson came over in his trade. I really think Pettersson-Ceci is going to be real solid even if pushed into second pairing duty if injuries occur. Ceci is better than JJ on his off side and better than a journeyman like Ruhwedel. If Ruhwedel played the QOC that Ceci has the past couple years he would be much worse than the analytics are for Ceci which are still better than JJ and Schultz have been while playing the tougher QOC.

C'mon mate. @Randy Butternubs has put time and effort into putting this all together. If you have suggestions for a different one next year I'm sure constructive criticism is welcomed but to come out with your first sentence the way you did isn't constructive.

Once a position is picked you are governed by that. It's HF Pens decides not what @CrosbyMalkin decides. I'm sure once the team is decided on there will be a final thread where you can discuss what your team would be and how it would be different. If you haven't thought of that maybe a suggestion for you @Randy Butternubs I'm sure you were going that way anyway

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
I think I said I'd rather see Riiko with Marino, cause Marino righty/lefty and Marino could cover for Riiko being out of position (in reality, Riiko won't get out of line for Nachos unless Sully is canned or we lose our first four defensemen). Neither of those would be true with a Petts/Riiko pairing. I would love to see Petts as a third pairing defenseman. I'd much prefer him there than at 3/4.

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
I don’t expect people to take my opinions on Letang seriously. Thus I will not take Riikola’s Revenge seriously on his Riikola takes.

That's evident. I just thought your point might come across better when actually stating outright. You're one of the most well spoken posters here when you do it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad