Line Combos: HFPens Decides - 3rd Defense Pairing

Who do you want on the third defense pair? Select two.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
That's evident. I just thought your point might come across better when actually stating outright. You're one of the most well spoken posters here when you do it

Save it for the Zoom dates

Sorry @Soggy Biscuit it might not have worked out anyway. I heard @Gurglesons is left handed. That would have torn you apart eventually.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
This exercise has really driven home how much of a tire fire the bottom 6 and defense is likely to be this year.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
it all depends on the team.....remember the wings we had playing on our top line with sid? that would of been 3rd line players on other teams.

I think Ekblad and Yandle would arguably be our best defensemen as well without Letang.

The positive is that our D isn’t a bunch of give away prone dumbasses.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Old Master

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
#FreeJuuso

4ofpnu.jpg

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I don’t expect people to take my opinions on Letang seriously. Thus I will not take Riikola’s Revenge seriously on his Riikola takes.
He's like my 4th favorite player on the team. It's just a nickname that rolled off the tongue nicely. It's a meme as well, from a time where he kept getting screwed over by Sullivan and Jim. That's still happening actually. And my points about the strengths of his game are backed up by his hockey reference page.

Besides you were the guy who was advocating for JJ in the line-up for 2 years, and defending Murray so hard all of last season. Hard to take you seriously as well. Half your posts are just trying to get reactions outta people.

I imagine it'll be the same if/when Matheson does poorly. He'll become your new avatar.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
He's like my 4th favorite player on the team. It's just a nickname that rolled off the tongue nicely. It's a meme as well, from a time where he kept getting screwed over by Sullivan and Jim. That's still happening actually. And my points about the strengths of his game are backed up by his hockey reference page.

Besides you were the guy who was advocating for JJ in the line-up for 2 years, and defending Murray so hard all of last season. Hard to take you seriously as well. Half your posts are just trying to get reactions outta people.

I imagine it'll be the same if/when Matheson does poorly. He'll become your new avatar.

Exactly what someone would say trying to hide their true feelings.
giphy.gif

Riikola will be lucky to ever develop much in the NHL. He's got some likeable characteristics for a bottom pairing dman though. Certainly more entertaining than the other options.

Reactions: Riikolas Revenge

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Exactly what someone would say trying to hide their true feelings.
giphy.gif

Riikola will be lucky to ever develop much in the NHL. He's got some likeable characteristics for a bottom pairing dman though. Certainly more entertaining than the other options.
Hard to develop when you get so horribly mismanaged. And when he did play, he was usually with JJ or washed Schultz.
Talk about not putting a player in a position to succeed.

Reactions: The Old Master

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Hard to develop when you get so horribly mismanaged. And when he did play, he was usually with JJ or washed Schultz.

While he certainly hasn't been given ample opportunity he hasn't separated himself enough. Take John Marino (big contrast I know) didn't matter who he played with his talent shined. Riik needs to play consistently better to prove himself more than a #6/7.

I don't think he's hiding a #4 somewhere down deep. Him being a consistent bottom pair guy is his ceiling to me. Again, if he's hiding some higher potential, that's awesome but I won't hold my breath.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
While he certainly hasn't been given ample opportunity he hasn't separated himself enough. Take John Marino (big contrast I know) didn't matter who he played with his talent shined. Riik needs to play consistently better to prove himself more than a #6/7.

I don't think he's hiding a #4 somewhere down deep. Him being a consistent bottom pair guy is his ceiling to me. Again, if he's hiding some higher potential, that's awesome but I won't hold my breath.
This is sort of why I voted for him. I like Ruh, but his ceiling is a 6/7. Maybe it's just terminology, but a solid bottom pair guy > solid 6/7. I think Riikola's ceiling is just slightly higher, although it would be slightly offset by playing on his offside in this setup.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

His most common linemates was Ruhwedel who he played nearly 3x as much as he did with JJ.

The previous year it was Maatta.

Riikola is fine and better than JJ, but dude is so overrated.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
This is sort of why I voted for him. I like Ruh, but his ceiling is a 6/7. Maybe it's just terminology, but a solid bottom pair guy > solid 6/7. I think Riikola's ceiling is just slightly higher, although it would be slightly offset by playing on his offside in this setup.
I think Riikola, if he had been given the same kind of benefit of the doubt that a trashbag like Johnson got, would have developed his game into a solid #5/6 like he could be. But instead, they treated him worse than Ruhwedel and somehow thought that is how you develop players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->