HFJets STH renewal 2019

For those STH up for renewal this year, are you, or is your group renewing?

• Total voters

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
I'm still waiting to see if we actually get an offer for different seats within our P3 area. We've been asking from the start with absolutely zero movement or even a hint of movement. I do believe the renewals will be lower going forward from this year based on conversations on here and with people that sit around us. We did renew for 3 more years so I'm hopeful that we're at the very least able to move closer to the aisle (we have seat 11/12 in a 24 seat row).

Had some of the best seats in the upper deck until they put in the Loge and ruined the view. I ask every year to be moved, and not just in my price range, but I'm actually willing to move to more expensive seats, but alas, they have put me on the "ignore list". Sort of like the "waiting list" but you never get to move up.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Days of the 3% increase is long gone. It’s now 5%. It really irks me that they brought long term STH prices in line with those that got in at later times. It would have been a small perk for the longest standing STH.

TNSE has zero loyalty to their STH base and appear to really take them for granted. The ticketing department appears to run contrary to the hockey ops philosophy.

The fact that I’m being billed for my playoff tickets on April 3 before the current schedule even ends doesn’t sit too well with me.

2019/2020 due April 15. I assume this is part of their business model. Many teams have much more consumer/fan friendly payment arrangements. 0% financing as offered by multiple teams in the league would go along way to show that TNSE appreciates the STH base.

My ticket groups have hung in for now but with my government imposed wage freeze when this TPA is up in 2022 who knows what will happen. The ticket increases that outpace inflation and no wage increase may eventually due me in.

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Sounds brutal being a Jets STH. You guys should consider Bomber season tickets...the staff is way more flexible and friendly. Lots of different payment options too.

I'm a Jets fan, but no need to be a STH. I attend a few games every season and that's enough for me. Maybe TNSE only wants corporate STH's.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Sounds brutal being a Jets STH. You guys should consider Bomber season tickets...the staff is way more flexible and friendly. Lots of different payment options too.

I'm a Jets fan, but no need to be a STH. I attend a few games every season and that's enough for me. Maybe TNSE only wants corporate STH's.

That is my expectation of their goal. It's very stable for them and results generally in far less complaints. I don't really like that notion but it's not my business to run.

Reactions: blues10

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

I'm a Jets fan, but no need to be a STH. I attend a few games every season and that's enough for me. Maybe TNSE only wants corporate STH's.[/QUOTE]

I would imagine that the goal of the Jets would be, or at least have a preference, to fill the lower bowl with nothing but corporate season ticket holders. And if the Jets' insist for whatever reason to increase ST prices by 5 % each and every year that they are going to exist, corporate season tickets make perfect sense, because they are going to price a lot of people out of the game. They are more reliable and will be a more stable owner than your average person that has to foot the bill on their own dime. Not to say there aren't individuals that can afford whatever the Jets want, but corporations are a safe goal.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Days of the 3% increase is long gone. It’s now 5%. It really irks me that they brought long term STH prices in line with those that got in at later times. It would have been a small perk for the longest standing STH.

TNSE has zero loyalty to their STH base and appear to really take them for granted. The ticketing department appears to run contrary to the hockey ops philosophy.

The fact that I’m being billed for my playoff tickets on April 3 before the current schedule even ends doesn’t sit too well with me.

2019/2020 due April 15. I assume this is part of their business model. Many teams have much more consumer/fan friendly payment arrangements. 0% financing as offered by multiple teams in the league would go along way to show that TNSE appreciates the STH base.

My ticket groups have hung in for now but with my government imposed wage freeze when this TPA is up in 2022 who knows what will happen. The ticket increases that outpace inflation and no wage increase may eventually due me in.
I can relate to a lot of what you said. I was shouldering the bill for two seats by myself, and simply can't afford it anymore. The last playoff game I attend will mark the end of my era as a STH.

Now, after years of trying to unload seats, I know how to get tickets for the games I want without the major burden of being a season ticket holder. And as many have said, there's something to say about watching a game on my 60-inch plasma, with a very inexpensive rye in one hand and a very inexpensive snack in the other. Don't have to fight the bottle-neck exits after the game, or walk to my car in the winter either. Can't say that I've been totally satisfied with the perks of being a STH, either.

Reactions: blues10

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I can relate to a lot of what you said. I was shouldering the bill for two seats by myself, and simply can't afford it anymore. The last playoff game I attend will mark the end of my era as a STH.

Now, after years of trying to unload seats, I know how to get tickets for the games I want without the major burden of being a season ticket holder. And as many have said, there's something to say about watching a game on my 60-inch plasma, with a very inexpensive rye in one hand and a very inexpensive snack in the other. Don't have to fight the bottle-neck exits after the game, or walk to my car in the winter either. Can't say that I've been totally satisfied with the perks of being a STH, either.

The funny thing is that you can buy a really expensive rye and a really expensive snack and you'd still be paying less than you would for a bud light and a popcorn. :nod:

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
The funny thing is that you can buy a really expensive rye and a really expensive snack and you'd still be paying less than you would for a bud light and a popcorn. :nod:
Yep, that's what I was kinda referring to. My bottle of Crown Royal Northern Harvest is about 35 bucks (just over 8.5 three ounce drinks, which is how I pour them). What does 35 bucks get you at the game? 3 single shots?

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
That is my expectation of their goal. It's very stable for them and results generally in far less complaints. I don't really like that notion but it's not my business to run.
That is going to result in a much quieter arena if that is the case. The atmosphere will be killed. Seems TNSE is going the Maple Leafs strategy...

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

And if they had built a domed stadium, I would seriously consider this but I'm just too much of a wimp to want to sit outside in the elements. There is a very narrow window of what I consider to be pleasant weather. Most of the time it's too hot, too cold, too windy, too rainy, too snowy. And bugs, eww. :laugh:

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
And if they had built a domed stadium, I would seriously consider this but I'm just too much of a wimp to want to sit outside in the elements. There is a very narrow window of what I consider to be pleasant weather. Most of the time it's too hot, too cold, too windy, too rainy, too snowy. And bugs, eww. :laugh:
80% of Bomber games are in the beautiful summer weather. There's only like 2 games where you need to dress warm.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
That is going to result in a much quieter arena if that is the case. The atmosphere will be killed. Seems TNSE is going the Maple Leafs strategy...

It would seem so and I've said as much prior. To play devil's advocate it's probably a very solid strategy from their perspective. Guaranteed seat sales ("sold out") and the corporate partners are far, far less likely to gripe and complain so long as they can write off the cost of the tickets against their business. It then becomes the corporate partners responsibility to sell off tickets they can't use and take any losses. Really quite smart.

As to the atmosphere, I agree to the point of about 80% on this. I think the difference is that the market in Winnipeg is much softer than Toronto and as such you'll still see tickets available to non STH at somewhat reasonable pricing. This may prop up the atmosphere just enough. And if not, they'll just pipe in noise to make it better.

It will kill the average person attending playoff games though. Corporate partners likely won't be selling those off, especially if they can break even on a large number of their games during the season.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
It would seem so and I've said as much prior. To play devil's advocate it's probably a very solid strategy from their perspective. Guaranteed seat sales ("sold out") and the corporate partners are far, far less likely to gripe and complain so long as they can write off the cost of the tickets against their business. It then becomes the corporate partners responsibility to sell off tickets they can't use and take any losses. Really quite smart.

As to the atmosphere, I agree to the point of about 80% on this. I think the difference is that the market in Winnipeg is much softer than Toronto and as such you'll still see tickets available to non STH at somewhat reasonable pricing. This may prop up the atmosphere just enough. And if not, they'll just pipe in noise to make it better.

It will kill the average person attending playoff games though. Corporate partners likely won't be selling those off, especially if they can break even on a large number of their games during the season.
Thought I read a while ago that CRA was cracking down on this and/or changed the rules where corporations could no longer write-off sporting events for tax purposes.

Reactions: Sabadecade

Saidin

Mar 18, 2015
Sucks to hear all the issues here. I'm in P7 and had no issues reselling 10-15ish games this year at a profit... Had issue with 1 game (Tuesday night vs St Louis)

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
IIRC for the most part you lose your deposit, but as others have stated, they will probably want the amount owing on your contract as well. Then TNSE will turn around and sell your seats to someone else and double dip for the years remaining..

If you paid the amount owed on your contract then they’re yours. How would they sell them to someone else and “double dip”?

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Sucks to hear all the issues here. I'm in P7 and had no issues reselling 10-15ish games this year at a profit... Had issue with 1 game (Tuesday night vs St Louis)
Those seats should continue to be fairly easy to move - lowest price in the house, and there are fewer seats than any other category I think. Winnipegger's love a bargain! :laugh:

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015

They reason they’re more flexible is that they have the supply to be flexible with. I am also a Bomber Season ticket holder and don’t find any difference.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
If you paid the amount owed on your contract then they’re yours. How would they sell them to someone else and “double dip”?
If you've got seasons remaining on your multi-year Seat Holder Agreement and refuse to pay, the Jets could sue you for the full cost of the remaining seasons and also sell those seats to someone on the waiting list (so they'd be getting paid for the seats twice if they were successful in court).

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

Say I have a 5 year contract with 3 years remaining and I want out....say I'm moving to Australia.... I cancel my contract and I lose my deposit, but as speculated, the Jets also might sue me for the remainder of the contract. So I might end up having to pay them for the 3 remaining years even though I am out and can't use the seats. They then re-sell my seats to someone else. So TNSE is getting new money for the seats as well as the 3 years I still had to pay for. Double Dipping.

Sure I could just keep the seats and not cancel and try to sell all the games, but what if I don't want the hassle. Or worse yet, the Jets change their policy like other teams, and cancel the seats because I'm trying to sell them all. Hence I'm not a fan but a ticket broker in their eyes.

You can't win.

Last edited:

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
Say I have a 5 year contract with 3 years remaining and I want out....say I'm moving to Australia.... I cancel my contract and I lose my deposit, but as speculated, the Jets also might sue me for the remainder of the contract. So I might end up having to pay them for the 3 remaining years even though I am out and can't use the seats. They then re-sell my seats to someone else. So TNSE is getting new money for the seats as well as the 3 years I still had to pay for. Double Dipping.

Sure I could just keep the seats and not cancel and try to sell all the games, but what if I don't want the hassle. Or worse yet, the Jets change their policy like other teams, and cancel the seats because I'm trying to sell them all. Hence I'm not a fan but a ticket broker.

That cannot legally do that. They must mitigate their loss. Upon finding a replacement they would have to refund the money to you.

Sabadecade

Die Hard Jets Fan
May 25, 2012
Winnipeg MB
Thought I read a while ago that CRA was cracking down on this and/or changed the rules where corporations could no longer write-off sporting events for tax purposes.

I thought this too, now that it's "more difficult" to "write off" entertainment perhaps the small business owners aren't as keen on attempting to do so for fear of the big bad CRA.

Also, just an observation, judging by the comments like:
"going out in poor weather",
"disliking the crowded arena" and
"enjoying in my own basement on the 60" plasma",
...it sounds quite archetypal of people who frequent online forums. :laugh: No judging, I'm here too after all.

What I'm saying is, perhaps we're not getting a true sense of what the 15000+ STH are really feeling.

At the moment, as bad as 60% renewal rate sounds on the poll of this thread, out of 37 people that voted in the poll, 11 said they aren't renewing, in absolute numbers, this is chump change for the waitlist to eat up. So, really, TNSE isn't even going to bat an eye at it. I don't even think we can even properly extrapolate this un-scientific, un-official poll either. Interesting topic anyway!

Last edited:

Sabadecade

Die Hard Jets Fan
May 25, 2012
Winnipeg MB
That cannot legally do that. They must mitigate their loss. Upon finding a replacement they would have to refund the money to you.

I would expect that too. I don't think they can sue you for profit. They can only be "made whole" based on my court TV experience. So, if you're gonna default on a term, do it now while the waitlist is waiting to pickup your seats.*

*not actual legal advice :laugh:

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I thought this too, now that it's "more difficult" to "write off" entertainment perhaps the small business owners aren't as keen on attempting to do so for fear of the big bad CRA.

...it sounds quite archetypal of people who frequent online forums. :laugh: No judging, I'm here too after all.

What I'm saying is, perhaps we're not getting a true sense of what the 15000+ STH are really feeling.
Or some of us are just outlining the benefits of not being a STH. Personally, I've been one of the guys/gals paying True North more than I can now afford so that there is a team for the thousands who don't pay for tickets to watch for free at home. I've done it every year since 2011. Now, I think I've paid enough and I can join all the others watching a game that is almost as exciting - but with a bunch of other benefits that offset the "live hockey" vibe - at home. And when I do feel like attending a game, they're as easy as pie to get.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

At the moment, as bad as 60% renewal rate sounds on the poll of this thread, out of 37 people that voted in the poll, 11 said they aren't renewing, in absolute numbers, this is chump change for the waitlist to eat up. So, really, TNSE isn't even going to bat an eye at it. I don't even think we can even properly extrapolate this un-scientific, un-official poll either. Interesting topic anyway!
Yes, this poll isn't scientific. Although you could argue that people who spend their spare time discussing the Jets on this forum are going to be some of the most die-hard fans and more likely to renew season tickets...

Since AFAIK renewals have been going along at 90%+ in previous years, I think a 60% renewal rate this year would make TNSE sit up and take notice. In addition, there's no larger cohort of season ticket holders than the P3-P4-P5s that were up for renewal this winter - it's about 40% of the seats at the arena. If renewals are 60%, that's over 2000 seats available for the waiting list...I think that would wipe it out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad