HFJets STH renewal 2019

For those STH up for renewal this year, are you, or is your group renewing?

• Total voters

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
All teams in the league have the ability to block out dates not sure if they can request dates. The 1st year the Moose were back the Jets didn’t play much on Saturday’s. It was always suspected the Jets blocked those dates. I ranted endlessly about it and sent the Jets various comparisons of other Canadian teams etc.... even suggested the Jets and Moose have the ability to play on the same day like basketball and hockey teams that share venues.

Times have changed for me. Bought myself a cottage, winterized it and installed a Satellite.

I love the schedule of Friday games as it allows me to get up to the cottage Saturday am and go to the Jets game Friday night. Love the late Saturday road games as it allows me to go skiing, play hockey on the rink I now build on the Lake and cook a nice dinner before retiring for the evening with a Jets game.

As a STH I also like the Sunday games. I will never go to one but they are easy to sell to casual fans. I guess I’ll be going to lots of Tuesday night hockey.

I do feel for those who find this really crappy as that was me but things change in life and this works for me. That being said the Jets should be attempting to appease the majority of the STH.

I have not looked at other teams schedules this year but in the past teams that draw poorly have heavy doses of Saturday night games. Of course NBC appears to dictate some of the US teams scheduling as well but those teams don’t play on NBC so it doesn’t affect them.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Moose will get much more than 3 Saturday games. Chipman always gives them more. It helps his sales which is all profit where extra beer on a Jets night isn't all Profit
The Moose get more Saturday games because the Jets get only 3 in Winnipeg... :surrender

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
All teams in the league have the ability to block out dates not sure if they can request dates. The 1st year the Moose were back the Jets didn’t play much on Saturday’s. It was always suspected the Jets blocked those dates. I ranted endlessly about it and sent the Jets various comparisons of other Canadian teams etc.... even suggested the Jets and Moose have the ability to play on the same day like basketball and hockey teams that share venues.

Times have changed for me. Bought myself a cottage, winterized it and installed a Satellite.

I love the schedule of Friday games as it allows me to get up to the cottage Saturday am and go to the Jets game Friday night. Love the late Saturday road games as it allows me to go skiing, play hockey on the rink I now build on the Lake and cook a nice dinner before retiring for the evening with a Jets game.

As a STH I also like the Sunday games. I will never go to one but they are easy to sell to casual fans. I guess I’ll be going to lots of Tuesday night hockey.

I do feel for those who find this really crappy as that was me but things change in life and this works for me. That being said the Jets should be attempting to appease the majority of the STH.

I have not looked at other teams schedules this year but in the past teams that draw poorly have heavy doses of Saturday night games. Of course NBC appears to dictate some of the US teams scheduling as well but those teams don’t play on NBC so it doesn’t affect them.
I also like Friday night games. These are the nights where other ST holders I know will all want to stay downtown after work and go out for diner and drinks before the game. Makes for a fun night out.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Our group hates Sunday games. So those are always a poor draw for us. Friday/Saturday are always the big draws. Quelle surprise.

We do have two new guys in the group though, so I'm hoping one of them is a fan of the Sunday games. It could happen.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
The Moose get more Saturday games because the Jets get only 3 in Winnipeg... :surrender

For sure, but are the Jets only playing 3 Saturday games because of Rogers, NHL or TNSE blocking out dates for the Moose and possibly concerts and other events. I would like to see someone from TNSE give an honest answer but in the past it has simply been the NHL makes the schedule.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Our group hates Sunday games. So those are always a poor draw for us. Friday/Saturday are always the big draws. Quelle surprise.

We do have two new guys in the group though, so I'm hoping one of them is a fan of the Sunday games. It could happen.

I hate them too and don’t plan on attending a single one but they are great for resale.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Good to know, though I rarely ever sell anything. I have to think our new seats are going to be an easier sell than the old ones were as well.

I only sell because I own a 1/2 season when my income dictates that I can only afford a 1/4 season. The positive is that I have a better choice of games and more playoff tickets.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I only sell because I own a 1/2 season when my income dictates that I can only afford a 1/4 season. The positive is that I have a better choice of games and more playoff tickets.

I'm kind of in the same boat. I own 15 games, everyone else in the group owns 5. I picked up the initial 5 when we lost our first member after the first contract expired (I had 10 to start, my ideal number). Guys assured me they wanted more games until they didn't. :rolleyes:

I can afford those 15 games but with other friends with access to games I usually end up at 20+ games a year which I don't really care to do. I like going with those other friends, some games are in boxes for example, or other seats and they don't usually go to my games.

I'd happily go to 10 of my own but we couldn't find another taker for five games by the time renewal rolled around. It basically came down to "do I want to pay for three more years of 15 games or not" to hold the group together. I expect it will be the same in three years time though I'm not sure the answer will be yes again. Time will tell.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm kind of in the same boat. I own 15 games, everyone else in the group owns 5. I picked up the initial 5 when we lost our first member after the first contract expired (I had 10 to start, my ideal number). Guys assured me they wanted more games until they didn't. :rolleyes:

I can afford those 15 games but with other friends with access to games I usually end up at 20+ games a year which I don't really care to do. I like going with those other friends, some games are in boxes for example, or other seats and they don't usually go to my games.

I'd happily go to 10 of my own but we couldn't find another taker for five games by the time renewal rolled around. It basically came down to "do I want to pay for three more years of 15 games or not" to hold the group together. I expect it will be the same in three years time though I'm not sure the answer will be yes again. Time will tell.
Where are your seats Buggs?

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Unless you can control what the other 13,000 are selling their unused tickets for, this strategy won't work. You can hold out for your price as much as you want, and eat games rather than set a precedence; however, if everyone else on Seat Exchange or Kijiji are selling games for less than you are, it's a losing battle. Also, if you apply this strategy to friends and family only (people that only buy from you) - they'll eventually start buying from someone more reasonable. I don't know anyone who only has "one source" of Jets tickets. Word is out ...seats are easy to get, and you can pay season tickets cost or below to 90% of games ...

Yeah, but how many of those ticket sources have loge seats, like @Sabadecade? There are people who will pay a good price for premium seats, and his group has the connections to find those people. When your competition numbers in the hundreds, instead of many thousands, your odds go up. :nod:

Reactions: Sabadecade

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
You sell a lot more beer on Friday and Saturday nights. I don’t think it’s the Moose. Their schedule isn’t even set yet.
The Jets played 3 full seasons before the Moose came back (I'm not counting the lockout shortened season). Their average number of Saturday home games over that period was 7.67. They also had a New Year's Eve home game in all 3 seasons.

Since the Moose returned in 2015-16, the Jets have averaged 5.8 Saturday home games per season and have hosted a New Year's Eve game only once in that 5 year span.

If it isn't the Moose, it's a pretty strange coincidence...

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Where are your seats Buggs?
P3s. Section 103, row 8 on the aisle closest to the P2 folks. Previously 112, row 15, 12 seats away from the aisle in either direction. The old seats were quite nice in a lot of respects from watching the game as long as you didn't need to leave the seat. The new ones will be so much better. :nod:

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
The Jets played 3 full seasons before the Moose came back (I'm not counting the lockout shortened season). Their average number of Saturday home games over that period was 7.67. They also had a New Year's Eve home game in all 3 seasons.

Since the Moose returned in 2015-16, the Jets have averaged 5.8 Saturday home games per season and have hosted a New Year's Eve game only once in that 5 year span.

If it isn't the Moose, it's a pretty strange coincidence...
They also played in a different division full of Eastern Time Zone teams before the Moose arrived. That should factor in.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
For sure, but are the Jets only playing 3 Saturday games because of Rogers, NHL or TNSE blocking out dates for the Moose and possibly concerts and other events. I would like to see someone from TNSE give an honest answer but in the past it has simply been the NHL makes the schedule.

I think the answer "the NHL makes the schedule" is the polite way of saying "We don't like it either".

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
They also played in a different division full of Eastern Time Zone teams before the Moose arrived. That should factor in.
I'm not sure how the time zone would affect the number of Saturday home games on the schedule. Also, the Jets were in the Central Division for 2 of the 3 full seasons in the pre-Moose sample (2013-14, 2014-15).

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
My theory is that the biggest hindrance for Saturday games is that we’re in Central time zone. Can’t play at 6 because that interferes with Tor/Mtl. And 9 is too late, so Van/Cgy/Edm get the benefit.

Add that to Rogers not letting TSN have regional games on Sat nights leads to having 12 games on Sunday’s.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
My theory is that the biggest hindrance for Saturday games is that we’re in Central time zone. Can’t play at 6 because that interferes with Tor/Mtl. And 9 is too late, so Van/Cgy/Edm get the benefit.

Add that to Rogers not letting TSN have regional games on Sat nights leads to having 12 games on Sunday’s.

There are plenty of channel options to accommodate 3-4 games in the 6:00 slot if necessary. CBC, City, SN, SN1, SN360. I subscribe to the conspiracy channel, and I think this is True North's doing to try and up Moose attendance by giving them the favourable nights.

Reactions: blues10

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
There are plenty of channel options to accommodate 3-4 games in the 6:00 slot if necessary. CBC, City, SN, SN1, SN360. I subscribe to the conspiracy channel, and I think this is True North's doing to try and up Moose attendance by giving them the favourable nights.
That theory would work better if we had gotten way more Saturday night home games before the Moose came back but we haven't gotten many in any year since 2011.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
It's been a few years since the Jets were home for a New Year's Eve game too. It used to be great going to an afternoon or early evening Jets game on New Years Eve, which still gave the partiers plenty of time for the evening festivities (and the rest of us plenty of time for a nice meal with the family).

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville

At the very least they could arrange it so that Toronto and Montreal visit Winnipeg on a Saturday night.

gibber1600

Aug 6, 2003
Great white north
Yeah, my gripes are minor but the stuff in the "only electronic entry" email make me cringe. It's a very political email in telling us how it is and we have to believe it. Well, no, I don't accept it and I'm not naive enough to believe there haven't been issues with electronic transfer because I've experienced them last season. Also the notion this does anything to limit scalping is ridiculous. I only used electronic entry for the playoffs but I used screenshots of the tickets just to see if they'd actually check or not work and they worked just fine. Plus I've got a retired guy that doesn't want to pay for a smart phone.

I've offered to pay for printed tickets (which is crap, but hey, let's help the poor team out here) and they say nobody is offering that. Bzzt. Vancouver Canucks do - my brother-in-law is a season ticket holder and they pay to get printed tickets just like in the old days.

Customer service, or rather the distinct lack thereof, is going to bite them in the azz at some point. I'm ecstatic with my seat relocation and then that email reminded me quite rapidly of the frustrations that are TNSE's policies.
They want to charge me $500.00 to change my account to my name from the business I sold in 2013.

gibber1600

Aug 6, 2003
Great white north
Tickets are harder to sell because TNSE have "your" friends and others you have sold to in the past in their data base now. They offer tickets directly to them now. TNSE have effectively stolen them from you since you have to sign up to receive your tickets. Sneaky

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad