GDT: HFDevils, Go to a Happy Place: Devils @ Bruins, 5:30 PM, NBCSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Just going back in time here, but clearly no one saw it, or they would have blown the play dead when Kouk had the puck, acting guilty as hell no less.

Linesman can’t blow the play dead unless it’s a major for high sticking but can answer a referee question during the next stoppage.

I’m unclear on how far back in time the ref can apparently go to questions a linesman though.

Reactions: devilsblood

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
He doesn’t need to learn anything. It’s obvious the only thing holding him back is strength. It’s not exactly easy to put on mass and stick to a strength training routine at the NHL level. With Jack’s style of play and the compact schedule, I wouldn’t be shocked if he lost most of the weight he put on in the offseason.

I think he needs to figure out powerplay at the NHL level. NHL level also helped him figure out how to be better defensively (I think he's much better in this department).

Someone smarter than me once posted that 1st overalls get into NHL even if they're not ready for marketing/ticket sales reasons, which sadly seems to be the case.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
NESN postgame crew showed that even if the puck was ruled over the line it would have been called back for being knocked in with a high stick.

I don't think that's reviewable, though it's hilarious that it wasn't called on the ice. The NESN crew wasn't crying about that blown call too much.

Edit: Sorry, I thought the high stick was earlier, if that's what knocked it into the net, then yeah.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
Hard to imagine the Bruins are still looking for their first 5x5 goal against us.
They really are a one line team. Tonight they were two thirds of a line team and Pasta was out the first couple times we played them. Combine that with the fact they caught a hot "Mack" a few times and it is not that surprising.

Reactions: My3Sons

The Great Dame

Goose will be loose
Jan 3, 2008
NJ
Wow what a win. Can we play the Bruins every game? Blackwood was excellent. Between him and Wedge we actually have a surprisingly solid 1/2 tandem.
Thought Hughes had a nice bounce back game, he was making strong plays in our own zone and being a lot simpler with the puck. I noticed he just got it off the glass and out once or twice where previously he might have tried the perfect pass or a dipsy doodle play.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I think he needs to figure out powerplay at the NHL level. NHL level also helped him figure out how to be better defensively (I think he's much better in this department).

Someone smarter than me once posted that 1st overalls get into NHL even if they're not ready for marketing/ticket sales reasons, which sadly seems to be the case.

He will get stronger too. He is still only 19. Was never going to put all his man strength on in one offseason.

He is learning what doesn't and does work at the NHL level which is invaluable long term.

Reactions: TheDuke93

NjDevsRR

Hard To Find
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar

Staff is doing him nor that 2nd PP unit any favors with Merk and Wood on it. Ridiculous when you have Sharangovich Boqvist and Johnsson available. I vomit when I see Merk with the puck on the halfboards on a POWERPLAY.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
upload_2021-3-28_20-36-12.gif

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ

I personally refuse to blame any players for the Power Play struggle the whole design and setup is so out of date and leaves 0 realistic options. It's extremely predictable and our only goals on it the past 40 tries have come from the right dot or heavy traffic shots from the point, yet we have Hughes and Zacha circle from the left dot posing little threat as the QB.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
Look how much Cole Caufield improved his skating at the college level. Verdict is pending on if it will help him at the NHL. It’s annoying that the 1OA picks are rushed to the NHL just to be “shnitzed on”.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Staff is doing him nor that 2nd PP unit any favors with Merk and Wood on it. Ridiculous when you have Sharangovich Boqvist and Johnsson available.

The PP, as apparently designed, really only has the 3 guys in the umbrella touch the puck. So it’s either a low percentage shot from up high or forcing a touch pass across the high slot for a still not high percentage chance due to how far out the shot is coming from and the difficulty in taking a pass at that speed/angle and putting a shot where you want.

If they like this PP as a concept then the Devils should shift the unused player from the high slot and move him behind the net. Then make Hughes that player behind the net and run a third of the passes through him.

This loosens up the coverage on the cross ice pass, allows Hughes to move, and will create more effective passing lanes.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
I don't think that's reviewable, though it's hilarious that it wasn't called on the ice. The NESN crew wasn't crying about that blown call too much.

Edit: Sorry, I thought the high stick was earlier, if that's what knocked it into the net, then yeah.

It was direct off the high stick, but a played by a high stick anytime in the offensive zone is one of the things that can be challenged and is an automatic review in the final minute.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
Yeah, I'm honestly surprised they're doing so well in the division.
But think about it, everybody they are ahead of had COVID go through the team other than the Rangers (at least I do not remember the Rangers having a problem). Now they have to deal with it. Lets see how they finish.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Look how much Cole Caufield improved his skating at the college level. Verdict is pending on if it will help him at the NHL. It’s annoying that the 1OA picks are rushed to the NHL just to be “shnitzed on”.

Skating isn't Jack's issue. It's much more about decision making which he wouldn't be able to learn in college as he is far too talented for the NCAA.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I personally refuse to blame any players for the Power Play struggle the whole design and setup is so out of date and leaves 0 realistic options. It's extremely predictable and our only goals on it the past 40 tries have come from the right dot or heavy traffic shots from the point, yet we have Hughes and Zacha circle from the left dot posing little threat as the QB.

Add Helter Skelter as a soundtrack and there’s your PP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad