Prospect Info: HFCF Prospect Poll: #4 (3way run-off)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monahan For Mayor*

What are requirements to vote ?

Either way I would go with Granlund. I think he's a sure fire Top 9 with Definite second line potential. Just dont think he's tapped into it yet. That is fine he's young and is only getting better. Also he's the most proven prospect left on the list.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
I voted Jankowski because I think he has top six center potential based on the small sample size I saw of him at the end of the last NCAA season. Size, skill and good defensively.

Also I have a hard time putting Kylington above guys like Hickey.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Voted Klimchuk.

Curious if people are voting Kylington ahead of Andersson & Morrisson based on pure potential or if they actually think he's a better player? I personally think Andersson is our most underrated prospect and will turn into a gem with a few years development.

For me Morrison is in that tier with Wotherspoon and Culkin, I think he's somewhere in the realm of becoming a #4, 5, or 6 dman. I think Hickey, Andersson and Kylington all have top 3 potential.

I have those 3 ranked like this: Kylington, Andersson and Hickey, mostly based on upside. But I admit that Andersson might just end up the best out of the bunch and have no problems with anyone ranking him first. I just think that Kylington is such a good skater, if he can improve his shot some more and work on his 2-way play then I think the sky is the limit for him.

danmcd15

Jul 11, 2014
I find it so interesting to look at past threads from last summer where Kylington was basically ranked 4th behind Hanifin. I realize he dropped quite a bit but he is still a first round quality player to me. Need to see an improvement this year for me to rank him earlier but right now I have Klimchuk and Andersson above him. Preferably Andersson at number 4.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
This is where it really starts to spread out, IMO.

I do think Janko can be ranked higher than in the past, but I would put Klimchuk over him for now.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
What are requirements to vote ?

Either way I would go with Granlund. I think he's a sure fire Top 9 with Definite second line potential. Just dont think he's tapped into it yet. That is fine he's young and is only getting better. Also he's the most proven prospect left on the list.

You can't vote as a rookie user. I think to get past that status, there is both a time and a number of posts requirement.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Thing is, though, that method, at least how I apply it, relies on the prospects not actually being part of the NHL team yet, because firing them into the sun hypothetically isn't supposed to change the NHL team at all.
I don't think Jooris is a lock for this team next year. With the additions of Frolik and Bennett with no one leaving, it pushes everyone down.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I don't think Jooris is a lock for this team next year.

Same thing could be said about Byron, but that doesn't make him any more of a prospect. If Jooris doesn't make the team next year, it's because he's been surpassed. And if that's the case, it looks like he'll never play be part of the team going forward. He isn't about to re-surpass other guys, I don't think.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Same thing could be said about Byron, but that doesn't make him any more of a prospect. If Jooris doesn't make the team next year, it's because he's been surpassed. And if that's the case, it looks like he'll never play be part of the team going forward. He isn't about to re-surpass other guys, I don't think.
That is possible, but I would still use the gun to the head thing. Who do you think will be more valuable to our future Jooris or __________. That's how I see ti anyways.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I am really curious as to why everyone seems to have Kylington > Andersson? I get the obvious stuff like Kylington being ranked higher leading up to the draft, but even the Flames brass must think more highly of Andersson. They took him before Kylington after all.

Andersson also looks to have very high offensive upside, which is the most common argument I see in favor of Kylington.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I am really curious as to why everyone seems to have Kylington > Andersson? I get the obvious stuff like Kylington being ranked higher leading up to the draft, but even the Flames brass must think more highly of Andersson. They took him before Kylington after all.

Andersson also looks to have very high offensive upside, which is the most common argument I see in favor of Kylington.

Kylington has the capacity to be one of the game's elite-skaters. Think of Erik Karlsson.

Rasmus Andersson is a far, far safer pick. So far safer, in fact, that I would agree with you that I'd rather have him than Kylington if I had to pick one. The fact that one player has more or less figured out defence and the other hasn't seems to be getting overlooked big-time. If Kylington doesn't learn to play defence, he won't ever play in the NHL, plain and simple.

That said, II, to your point about picking Andersson higher meaning they like Andersson more, that's not necessarily true. If they liked Kylington more, they still would feel obliged to take him as low as they felt they could get away with. If they pick Kylington at 53, they likely get someone worse than Andersson at 60.

Monahan For Mayor*

The biggest knock I see on Anderson is he has to be in better shape. Im perfectly fine with that being his big knock. Compared to the ones Kylington faces. I think they are similar players, but Ky lington has the higher reward, with more risk. I would rate them pretty equal.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Kylington has the capacity to be one of the game's elite-skaters. Think of Erik Karlsson.

Rasmus Andersson is a far, far safer pick. So far safer, in fact, that I would agree with you that I'd rather have him than Kylington if I had to pick one. The fact that one player has more or less figured out defence and the other hasn't seems to be getting overlooked big-time. If Kylington doesn't learn to play defence, he won't ever play in the NHL, plain and simple.

That said, II, to your point about picking Andersson higher meaning they like Andersson more, that's not necessarily true. If they liked Kylington more, they still would feel obliged to take him as low as they felt they could get away with. If they pick Kylington at 53, they likely get someone worse than Andersson at 60.

This is true, but given how close the picks are in proximity I am skeptical that is the case this time.

Also keep in mind the Flames had to trade up to 60 in order to pick Kylington, and there was no guarantee that a team would be willing to trade down at their pick in that area, so that is an additional risk the Flames took. Not to mention Kylington was consistently ranked higher even on draft day, making it more risky in theory to leave him on the draft board.

I think if they really valued Kylington more than Andresson they would of taken him at 53 because there was no guarantee they would even get to pick in the 2nd round again.

Monahan For Mayor*

Hey now! Justin Schultz is play in in the nhl. :sarcasm:

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

For me, it's the potential. He career path could lead him to be the next Jay Bouwmeester, or he could be the next Marc-Andre Bergeron. I do think his skating ability alone will make him an NHL'er it's just at what level.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

I think name recognition plays a part to be honest, we all know him from being highly ranked. Personally I still wanted him in round one this year, so I'm not going to change that because he went behind Andersson.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
It's simple. Andersson is a $5 scratch 'n win, whereas Kylington is a 6-49 ticket.

Some people would rather have a scratch ticket, others would rather have a shot at the big prize.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
The biggest knock I see on Anderson is he has to be in better shape. Im perfectly fine with that being his big knock. Compared to the ones Kylington faces. I think they are similar players, but Ky lington has the higher reward, with more risk. I would rate them pretty equal.

Thats what I have read as well. Andersson's knocks are on his skating, and conditioning.

While Kylington's big question mark seems to be his consistency.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

To add the the bolded, this is why Poirier was taken where he was, rumors had the Habs eyeballing him @ 25.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
It's simple. Andersson is a $5 scratch 'n win, whereas Kylington is a 6-49 ticket.

Some people would rather have a scratch ticket, others would rather have a shot at the big prize.
this is a really good analogy in this situation.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

I get what you are saying here. So I guess I would just respond with the notion that maybe Andersson is getting slightly overlooked because Kylington was drafted right after him? Andersson is the safer pick I would agree, but he also has a great deal of upside IMO so classifying him as a '$5 scratch ticket' in comparison, is selling him short I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad