GDT: HFBoards GDT | 5/5/21 |9 games today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
If you go back to the start of this inane argument, it was me saying this was Bettman's nightmare.

I didn't think it was a controversial statement. I am not a Bettman fan. But he has pretty clearly worked to take nights like tonight out of the game and try to make it a more family viewing experience.

I don't have evidence that it wouldn't grow if there were more nights like this, but there is evidence that the current commissioner has worked to reduce this kind of thing, and that the game has massively grown. I know that correlations does not equal causation, but that was not even my initial point.

Bettman is likely not happy because a lot of the public relations work he's been doing over the years to make hockey more family friendly will get undone when shows that don't usually cover hockey show the line brawl and make jokes about hockey. That's all I was saying.
I completely agree with this. I don’t think he is happy at all and I’m honestly surprised all the players in the line brawl didn’t get tossed from the game. I would have expected Bettman to instruct the refs to do that.

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
The Caps have a significant cap issue right now with injured players. They can't afford to call anyone up to replace regulars for a game or 3.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I completely agree with this. I don’t think he is happy at all and I’m honestly surprised all the players in the line brawl didn’t get tossed from the game. I would have expected I Bettman to instruct the refs to do that.
In all honesty, thank you for responding in a civil manner so I could get my hackles down and get back to my initial point. :laugh:

That's all I was trying to say. I didn't think it was controversial.

I'm a little surprised that Bettman or someone from the league wasn't in attendance.

The Assclown

Dec 7, 2015
Seriously impressed with Ottawa. This team is going to do damage as soon as next year if they can keep that intensity and momentum going.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
If you go back to the start of this inane argument, it was me saying this was Bettman's nightmare.

I didn't think it was a controversial statement. I am not a Bettman fan. But he has pretty clearly worked to take nights like tonight out of the game and try to make it a more family viewing experience.

I don't have evidence that it wouldn't grow if there were more nights like this, but there is evidence that the current commissioner has worked to reduce this kind of thing, and that the game has massively grown. I know that correlations does not equal causation, but that was not even my initial point.

Bettman is likely not happy because a lot of the public relations work he's been doing over the years to make hockey more family friendly will get undone when shows that don't usually cover hockey show the line brawl and make jokes about hockey. That's all I was saying.
This is correct. More chance people will watch sports loyally that they played, more chance kids will play a sport they were introduced to, more chance parents will take their kids to a game that isn’t frequently a violent shit show lol (similar to expanding to new random cities, they’re banking on new generations of grown kids expanding it long term. The hype we saw when Matthews was drafted)

He’s definitely wanted to make the game more family friendly. It’s similar to why they’ve mandated refs step in early in most series when rough stuff starts between whistles, they try to tame it because they don’t like the optics of Bruins-Canucks shenanigans

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

The Assclown

Dec 7, 2015
and next year they won't have to play EDM 9 times

I could see them doing very well against the Bruins, Leafs, Habs, and Sabres. Enough to be top three in the division? Probably not but perhaps playing for the final two playoff spots.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Shifting goalposts. Well played.

Outside of this season due to teams playing each other over and over, current rivalries are a pale comparison to the 80s and 90s. Games with line brawls like tonight are rarer and rarer events. Yet revenue has something like quadrupled (at least) during that same time.

But your argument is apparently that if there were more games like tonight it would grow even more? And that Bettman is excited about a game like tonight?

:laugh: Get that shifting goalposts crap out of here. You claimed that the growth of the game was tied to removing brawls and claimed you had evidence, and then walked it back when you were challenged for your evidence.

You have jack squat for evidence that league growth has any correlation to removing brawls, and yet claimed that you did.

The Grim Reaper

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2017
Hobart, Tasmania
I would be surprised if 8 plays any of the remaining games. Groin injury takes time. They shouldnt have let him play last game. Dumb

As a Pens fan, and I'm not going to try to dig up my post from the Pens GDT, but I was f***ing bewildered why the Caps brought back Ovi before the playoffs. There was zero need. Seeding doesn't mean shit if you don't have your generational player. Sure, maybe he would have been rusty sitting longer, but that's doubtful, and if it were true, it would take like one game for him to find his wheels again. I would have been pissed as a Caps fan. He made it like what, a period, if that in that game? Not good.

Reactions: troyerlaw
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad