GDT: HFBoards GDT | 3/29/18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Help me out then.
I'm pretty sure he's correctly calling BS on your claim that the Leafs never tried to rebuild or retool before Shanahan. What do you think Fletcher/Burke were doing? The Luke Schenn draft was the start of a Leafs rebuild that went very badly.

ballofhate13

Jan 6, 2018
Man, I hope for your sake that the bruins don't enter the playoffs as overconfident as you seem to be. Thats never backfired on a team before.

They won't because of wise vets and a coach who has his team playing locked in hockey for well over 4 months. injury issues...... overcome......rookies stepping in early season like Defrusk and Gryzz and Heinen overcame the learning curve and accounted extremely well. Cassidy has this team ready and the depth ! loving what playoffs are looking like but not looking past others is way Cassidy has them and Penguins are 2 time defending cup champs definitely not looking past them.

member 147413

I'm pretty sure he's correctly calling BS on your claim the Leafs never tried to rebuild or retool before Shanahan. What do you think Burke was doing?
He traded away two first round picks for Phil Kessel.

When we saw no regular season success, he traded away depth pieces at the deadline for picks and prospects. Commonly referred to as “selling”.

The “core” remained in tact and was never shipped out for youth. A rebuild is changing the core. It never changed under Burke.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013

When we saw no regular season success, he traded away depth pieces at the deadline for picks and prospects. Commonly referred to as “selling”.

The “core” remained in tact and was never shipped out for youth. A rebuild is changing the core. It never changed under Burke.
:facepalm: There are many ways to rebuild. It's ridiculous to say the Leafs weren't trying to do one before Shanahan came. Google "leafs rebuild 2008" and read all the quotes from Leafs' management and ownership about the rebuild they were starting back then.

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
Kings Hockey.. Shoot Deflect goal.. They are good at it for sure.. Pheanuf is working on the PP lol

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
:facepalm: There are many ways to rebuild. It's ridiculous to say the Leafs weren't trying to do one before Shanahan came. Google "leafs rebuild 2008" and read all the quotes from Leafs' management and ownership about the rebuild they were starting back then.
how many rebuilding teams trade away two first round picks for a roster player? It's ok to admit that Toronto was trying to build a winning team and screwed up rather than come up with nonsense like "rebuilds take many forms, even trading away futures for present gain"

member 147413

You mean where Burke came in and said “we’re rebuilding my way” then traded 1st round picks for Kessel?

Burke shouted a lot of things that were wrong and made no sense. That wasn’t a rebuild. The teachers who essentially ran the Leafs wanted money and the team to be competitive, it scared them to “not try” for the playoffs because they feared they’d lose money. Burke came in promising a quick turnaround and called it a rebuild. That doesn’t mean it was one.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
how many rebuilding teams trade away two first round picks for a roster player? It's ok to admit that Toronto was trying to build a winning team and screwed up rather than come up with nonsense like "rebuilds take many forms, even trading away futures for present gain"
You mean where Burke came in and said “we’re rebuilding my way” then traded 1st round picks for Kessel?

Burke shouted a lot of things that were wrong and made no sense. That wasn’t a rebuild. The teachers who essentially ran the Leafs wanted money and the team to be competitive, it scared them to “not try” for the playoffs because they feared they’d lose money. Burke came in promising a quick turnaround and called it a rebuild. That doesn’t mean it was one.
Whatever you say.

Their own management and ownership announced they were rebuilding ten years ago. Just because it was horribly done doesn't mean it didn't happen. I've watched my team screw up two or three attempts in the past ten years.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site

Ummmmm, ya. Glad you've had success 10 years later from the 'proper' rebuild the oilers cant do.

You are trying way to hard to fight this...

member 147413

Whatever you say.

Their own management and ownership announced they were rebuilding ten years ago. Just because it was horribly done doesn't mean it didn't happen. I've watched my team screw up two or three attempts in the past ten years.
Burke wasn’t ownership. The Teachers Penaion Fund never announced a rebuild.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Burke wasn’t ownership. The Teachers Penaion Fund never announced a rebuild.
One of the first links on Google from 2008:

"From an ownership level we look at the long term," said Larry Tanenbaum, co-owner of the hockey club and chairman of the board of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment. "We want to be absolutely competitive, super competitive each and every year.

"If you asked us if you were to pay for a Stanley Cup team this year, but you were to be lousy for the next five years, would you do it? The answer from the ownership point of view, absolutely not.

"We want to see a consistently strong winning team over the long term. If it takes two or three years to rebuild this team, let that happen, to know that it's going to be a strong contending team for 10, 15 years."
Leafs in no rush for Stanley Cup | Toronto Star

:dunce:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad