GDT: HFBoards GDT | 1/10/19

Status
Not open for further replies.

DownIsTheNewUp

Mar 27, 2017
Tampa
My post was not about offside challenges. It was about people complaining about offside by millimeters.
And for a board that constantly complains about terrible reffing, it’s kinda funny to see all of the complaining about a mechanism that allows them to correct their mistakes.
No doubt, the league has to try and get things right, but where do you draw the line? It's like in golf where they've had to back off on some of the video reviews, where a player accidentally moves a ball that's not even perceptible to them, yet the HD camera with 100x zoom lens sees that ball move the slightest flinch. You have to draw a line between getting it right and practicality for the game and I think the offside challenge is on the wrong side of the line.

Think of these two scenarios.
1. A team has too many men on the ice, but the refs miss the call, and the team scores because the extra man is on. The play cannot be challenged, the goal stands.
2. A team scores a goal and after viewing the replay from every possible angle, zoomed in, they determine that a player was offside because their back skate was lifted up a millimeter off the ice at the blue line a whole minute before the goal was scored. Goal overturned.

Now which infraction had a bigger impact on the goal being scored? Why is only one able to be challenged? The fact is, in every game the refs make all sorts of judgement calls that have a much bigger impact than an offside call, yet that's the one of the few things that they decide to nitpick with video review.

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
No doubt, the league has to try and get things right, but where do you draw the line? It's like in golf where they've had to back off on some of the video reviews, where a player accidentally moves a ball that's not even perceptible to them, yet the HD camera with 100x zoom lens sees that ball move the slightest flinch. You have to draw a line between getting it right and practicality for the game and I think the offside challenge is on the wrong side of the line.

Think of these two scenarios.
1. A team has too many men on the ice, but the refs miss the call, and the team scores because the extra man is on. The play cannot be challenged, the goal stands.
2. A team scores a goal and after viewing the replay from every possible angle, zoomed in, they determine that a player was offside because their back skate was lifted up a millimeter off the ice at the blue line a whole minute before the goal was scored. Goal overturned.

Now which infraction had a bigger impact on the goal being scored? Why is only one able to be challenged? The fact is, in every game the refs make all sorts of judgement calls that have a much bigger impact than an offside call, yet that's the one of the few things that they decide to nitpick with video review.
I understand the argument. Play 2 is definitely invalid. It’s a non-judgment linear infraction. Play 1 is a judgment call with no definitive delineation.

ANDI P IS CUTE

Oct 7, 2009
Windsor On
the leafs have like the fewest to second fewest PP opportunities and are one of the most skilled AND fast teams in the NHL. leaf bias on hf as always lmao.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
God I can’t stand watching Adrian Kempe play hockey. Scrub that tries to play like a star. Needs to change his game or he’ll be out of the league in due time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad