Line Combos: HFBoards Decides: Opening Lineup - Phil Kessel

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
hornqvst G/60

with crosby 3.61
with malkin 4.01

so lets drop the fairy tale of hornqvist and malkin not being good line mates. he scores more goals with geno.

Malkin and Horny had less than half the ice time together than Sid/Horny. Not to mention:

GA60 Sid/Horny = 1.98
GA60 Geno/Horny = 3.24

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Malkin and Horny had less than half the ice time together than Sid/Horny. Not to mention:

GA60 Sid/Horny = 1.98
GA60 Geno/Horny = 3.24

But in that time frame, people are saying they were awful, which clearly wasn't the case.

Watch Hornqvist and Malkin highlights last year. They looked fine together when Comeau was playing well. Give them a proper LW Malkin can work the puck with and let PH do his thing.

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'm just glad the plan is to play Kessel with one of the two star centers. The bigger concern for me is who gets the two LW spots in the top six.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Kind of sad Malkin is now considered such a defensive liability. In the MT years he had potential.

He's not, the Horny combo is by far the worst of "regular" linemates and is a massive outlier of bad defense. Because Horny and Geno are not good linemates for each other, or at least weren't last year.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
I'm just glad the plan is to play Kessel with one of the two star centers. The bigger concern for me is who gets the two LW spots in the top six.

Definitely an envious situation to have.

If Kessel has demonstrated anything in his time in Toronto, it's his ability to create offence in spite of being lined up with very underwhelming linemates.

He'll be able to move up and down your lineup, whether it's with Sid or Geno, and they will produce at an elite level.

I'm a fan of Pascal Dupuis and if the plan is for Kessel to play with Sid, I would definitely use him at LW.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
He's not, the Horny combo is by far the worst of "regular" linemates and is a massive outlier of bad defense. Because Horny and Geno are not good linemates for each other, or at least weren't last year.

I dunno, I think bylsma ruined that part of his game period.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I'm surprised Bennett is being considered

Ya, seems odd.

If BB has a similar pre-season to the one he put up last season, he should be flanking Malkin.

BB Malkin Hornqvist could be a really nice line. It's all up to BB if he put in the time this offseason to adjust his game to playing LW. If not, then that's on him for being oblivious to an obvious opportunity.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Ya, seems odd.

If BB has a similar pre-season to the one he put up last season, he should be flanking Malkin.

BB Malkin Hornqvist could be a really nice line. It's all up to BB if he put in the time this offseason to adjust his game to playing LW. If not, then that's on him for being oblivious to an obvious opportunity.

Nice to see they're still mentioning his name, let alone in a top 6 role.

Although, what does that say about what they think of Perron if he's not guranteed a spot over him.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
It's pretty surprising Bennett's mentioned as a top six solution. Might just be to inspire a bit of confidence in the kid after the way this organization's treated him over the first few years of his development.

It'd be a shame if Perron is the odd man out, honestly. The guy's likely to have a huge chip on his shoulder after his performance down the stretch, and with his contract on the line. I'd be surprised if he didn't have a very, very good season if given a spot alongside Sid or Geno.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Nice to see they're still mentioning his name, let alone in a top 6 role.

Although, what does that say about what they think of Perron if he's not guranteed a spot over him.

Considering BB shares Perron's mediocre speed and defensive play, it does not say much for Perron at all.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
It's pretty surprising Bennett's mentioned as a top six solution. Might just be to inspire a bit of confidence in the kid after the way this organization's treated him over the first few years of his development.

"[Bennett is] going to certainly, I think, be a guy that would look to be in the top-six forwards next year in our group," Bylsma said. "I think Beau Bennett did a lot of great things this year in how he played and what he brought to the team." - Dan Bylsma, June 2013

http://www.post-gazette.com/hp_mobi...on-the-rise-for-Penguins/stories/201306110208

Talk is cheap.

froods

I blame Paul Martin and Jack Johnson
Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
Gotta think Duper has a shot with Kessel and Sid. Maybe the best fit since they are both lightning quick.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Gotta think Duper has a shot with Kessel and Sid. Maybe the best fit since they are both lightning quick.

He definitely could have the speed advantage over everyone else.
If Bennett ever learned to play LW, he could be real effective(if he's healthy of course).
When healthy, he's one of, if not the best, forecheckers on the team imo.

Gotta see what Plots has as well.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Mentioning his name over Kunitz? That should make you happy.

I don't buy it for a second, haha.

To be fair, I won't believe any roster projections this org says 'til it happens on the ice. Been given false hope too many times.

Very true. That's why I think it's more of a confidence boost than anything suggesting he's a legitimate candidate.

Nice gesture I guess. But if I'm jaded after previous statements made by the coaching staff about Bennett's top 6 chances, I imagine BB himself's beyond putting any stock in what they say.

If he's even going to make the 3rd line this year, he's going to have to stay healthy and play so well in whatever role he gets that he forces their hand, IMO. He's not going to be given any extended looks or benefit of the doubt. He'll have to take it.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
Considering BB shares Perron's mediocre speed and defensive play, it does not say much for Perron at all.

It says more about the coaching staff that still thinks Perron is a RW and Bennett is as effective as a LW.

Perron is a much better player than Bennett especially as a LW.

Last edited:

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006

That's quite optimistic at this point in time. Even if he still has his legs, whatever hands he had earlier in his career disappeared a few years ago.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
It's a process that is necessary. To get mad at the process to figure it all out by way of trial and error when it doesn't matter in the pre-season is just taking it too much to hart. The pre-season is long at 8 games and the season is an 82 game marathon.

In the end, it just has to work for me no matter the configuration. I would hope people could put aside personal preferences to what works.

The bigger point is, it may take awhile to get to the final configuration, just too many variables.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Lol with all this talk about speed maybe we should bring over Konstantin Kolstov from the KHL? I mean, he's 34 now so maybe he finally learned to use his hands along with his legs...

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I'd like to know how they view Sundqvist. With so many centers this year, would they be willing to try him on wing in the top 9?

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I'd like to know how they view Sundqvist. With so many centers this year, would they be willing to try him on wing in the top 9?

A young, potentially future 3C.
I do remember that they said last year that he's played some LW on the euro big ice.
There isn't really a spot for him in the top 9 though. Especially when Fehr gets back.
4th line LW may be an option unless he's fantastic at camp and jumps a rung on the depth chart.

froods

I blame Paul Martin and Jack Johnson
Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
That's quite optimistic at this point in time. Even if he still has his legs, whatever hands he had earlier in his career disappeared a few years ago.

Referring to Kessel and Crosby as "lightning Quick". Just thinking that Duper might have the best chance of keeping up with them.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Referring to Kessel and Crosby as "lightning Quick". Just thinking that Duper might have the best chance of keeping up with them.

Hockey IQ and the speed at which a guy thinks the game is more important than footspeed when it comes to playing with Sid.

That doesn't mean someone with Hal Gill's skating would be preferable, but it's much more about the thinking and decision making than it is the speed with which a guy gets up and down the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad