Line Combos: HFBoards Decides: Opening Lineup - Phil Kessel

froods

I blame Paul Martin and Jack Johnson
Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
Hockey IQ and the speed at which a guy thinks the game is more important than footspeed when it comes to playing with Sid.

That doesn't mean someone with Hal Gill's skating would be preferable, but it's much more about the thinking and decision making than it is the speed with which a guy gets up and down the ice.

So Plonk is out. 2010 Kunitz would be perfect. :sarcasm:

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Hockey IQ and the speed at which a guy thinks the game is more important than footspeed when it comes to playing with Sid.

That doesn't mean someone with Hal Gill's skating would be preferable, but it's much more about the thinking and decision making than it is the speed with which a guy gets up and down the ice.

So Dupuis doesn't have the IQ to play with Sid but people were fine with having Perron as his winger?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I'd like to know how they view Sundqvist. With so many centers this year, would they be willing to try him on wing in the top 9?

Gotta think our depth, averseness to youth, and his injury are gonna preclude him from that in his 1st year. Not that he doesn't have the potential.

True. But as much as I disliked Dupes as Sid's wing when Kunitz was the most talented guy who played on his other side, he could make for a good complement to Kessel.

He knows Sid's tendencies, plays great d, works hard along the boards, and yeah...being able to keep with those two speed-wise would help. That line could motor.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Gotta think our depth, averseness to youth, and his injury are gonna preclude him from that in his 1st year. Not that he doesn't have the potential.

True. But as much as I disliked Dupes as Sid's wing when Kunitz was the most talented guy who played on his other side, he could make for a good complement to Kessel.

He knows Sid's tendencies, plays great d, works hard along the boards, and yeah...being able to keep with those two speed-wise would help. That line could motor.
Mmm... If that line ever exist & actually works i propose to name it:

The MotorHeads. (they would be Aces of Spade!) :yo:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Vision and hockey sense are different things. Perron is not a smart player.

And where on Earth do you get that idea from?

Perron has become the most underrated Penguin somehow this off season because a lot of clueless people think he's trash and should be jettisoned asap.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
He's not, the Horny combo is by far the worst of "regular" linemates and is a massive outlier of bad defense. Because Horny and Geno are not good linemates for each other, or at least weren't last year.

Yup... Malkin wants to play the euro pass around the perimeter game and Hornqvist is always in the middle of the ice.

I want Malkin to adjust though. He needs to put more pucks on nets and let Hornqvist gobble up rebounds.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Just because Crosby and Kessel are penciled to play together, that doesn't mean Malkin and Hornqvist will be married together if for whatever reason Line 2 isn't working. Remember, JR wants four lines of scoring and has done everything towards that goal this off-season. And I highly doubt Hornqvist would have an issue playing on the third line if it came to that. He just doesn't seem like the type.

Personally, I think he'd be perfect in that role: third line five on five, first PP unit. Not unlike Tomas Holmstrom, in fact.

I would LOVE to see Sundqvist force the club to keep him and become the No. 3 center next to Hornqvist. Horny is exactly the type of player you want Sundqvist learning from. And with Fehr out for some time, and with Bonino capable of playing LW, I suppose it is possible that this happens.

I don't think it'd be disrespectful to use Hornqvist on the third line with a rookie countryman instead of either Crosby or Malkin. It's about finding the right mix, as well as the right balance. Four scoring lines (at least to me) means someone needs to play a bit below their talent level to make it work. So a top sixer like Horny plays third line, and a third liner or two (Cullen? Dupuis?) play on Line 4.

My ideal lines would be something like this:

Perron-Crosby-Kessel
Bennett-Malkin-Plotnikov (Johnston would undoubtedly invert the wingers)
Bonino-Sundqvist-Hornqvist
Cullen-Fehr-Dupuis

This would require trading Kunitz, which I am still all in favor of.

OR

Bonino-Crosby-Kessel
Perron-Malkin-Plotnikov
Bennett-Sundqvist-Hornqvist

In either scenario, it doesn't change the power play's top unit imo:

Kessel-Crosby-Hornqvist
Letang/Pouliot-Malkin

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
For some reason I want to say that Hornqvist has played some LW in Nashville, though I don't know how well he did there or if he's comfortable there. It's not ideal. And giving Sid our #1 and #2 wingers doesn't leave Malkin with much.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
For some reason I want to say that Hornqvist has played some LW in Nashville, though I don't know how well he did there or if he's comfortable there. It's not ideal. And giving Sid our #1 and #2 wingers doesn't leave Malkin with much.

Perron/Plotnikov would still be good wingers for a second line.

Not saying they should do that though.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013

Hornqvist laughed at someone who suggested he was a left winger.

He is a RW.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Perron-Crosby-Kessel would be an awful line, Perron brings nothing to the table that Kessel doesn't and his pitiful defensive play would just become even worse when he's playing on a line with Kessel. Bennett has done nothing at this point to suggest he should play in our top-6. Hell, I'd be reluctant to even play him on the 3rd line, we have 9 better forwards than him without a doubt. Playing Hornqvist, who we traded our best winger for slightly over a year ago, on the 3rd line would be Iginla on his offwing level stupid. Just awful ideas all around.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Perron/Plotnikov would still be good wingers for a second line.

Not saying they should do that though.

If Hornqvist were able to play LW at the same level he plays at RW, I think a Perron-Malkin-Plotnikov line would work well. It's just that I'm almost positive he doesn't play LW at all.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Perron-Crosby-Kessel would be an awful line, Perron brings nothing to the table that Kessel doesn't and his pitiful defensive play would just become even worse when he's playing on a line with Kessel. Bennett has done nothing at this point to suggest he should play in our top-6. Hell, I'd be reluctant to even play him on the 3rd line, we have 9 better forwards than him without a doubt. Playing Hornqvist, who we traded our best winger for slightly over a year ago, on the 3rd line would be Iginla on his offwing level stupid. Just awful ideas all around.

Who cares who we traded Neal for at this point? We now have Phil the Thrill Kessel. Now, it's about balancing out lines and finding the right mix. And winning. Anything else is over-thinking.

Perron-Crosby-Kessel might work. When you have an elite scorer like Kessel, having TWO playmakers on his line isn't a terrible idea. Way back when, Cam Neely was an elite scorer with the Bruins and he briefly played with two elite playmakers in Adam Oates and Joe Juneau. Juneau brought nothing different on the line than what Oates brought, yet the trio was dominant offensively.

If there is chemistry between Perron, Crosby and Kessel, then let them ride the wave. They'd all benefit offensively, and force the other team to retreat and play on their heels. THAT's the best defense for Line 1.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
I kinda like the fact that trading Neal landed us the Horny Beast AND the Spaling Thing which in turn helped us land The Phil!

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Who cares who we traded Neal for at this point? We now have Phil the Thrill Kessel. Now, it's about balancing out lines and finding the right mix. And winning. Anything else is over-thinking.

Perron-Crosby-Kessel might work. When you have an elite scorer like Kessel, having TWO playmakers on his line isn't a terrible idea. Way back when, Cam Neely was an elite scorer with the Bruins and he briefly played with two elite playmakers in Adam Oates and Joe Juneau. Juneau brought nothing different on the line than what Oates brought, yet the trio was dominant offensively.

If there is chemistry between Perron, Crosby and Kessel, then let them ride the wave. They'd all benefit offensively, and force the other team to retreat and play on their heels. THAT's the best defense for Line 1.

Id do it just so I can stop hearing about how Sid only works with grinders.

In reality though, Sid would need to be selke level to keep that trio from giving up goals left and right.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Id do it just so I can stop hearing about how Sid only works with grinders.

In reality though, Sid would need to be selke level to keep that trio from giving up goals left and right.

Every season Crosby looks for a new challenge, right? So, playing with two one-way skilled wingers could be his next one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad