HFBoard's 2019 Fantasy Football Draft Discussion Thread

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I'll comment on everyone's teams a bit here based on what's been posted not that anyone cares. All of this is constructive.

Please.

I only have my back-up keeper to go I think. This diamond may as well be the crown jewel of the draft.

Dybala - Benzema
de Bruyne
Gundogan - Verratti
Martinez
Grimaldo - Koulibaly - Lenglet - Kimmich
Alisson

Isco, ben Yedder, Bentancur, Paqueta, Atal, I. Sarr, Ake, Valverde, Davies, GK

I actually don't like that diamond. If I had your squad I'd go with a 4-3-3. I'd put Sarr on the left, Benzema in the middle and slot Dybala out right thought slightly inside. Then in midfield I'd have Isco with De Bruyne and Verratti as anchor. Then swap out Lenglet and put Martinez there. That for me would be a much better use of your players and I think Isco would be a notable improvement over Gundogan.

My full team.

GK: MATS, Maignan
DF: Klostermann, Mbabu, Varane, Umtiti, Stones, Badiashile, Marcelo, Ballo-Toure
MF: Witsel, Kroos, Goretzka, Maier, Goetze
FW: Kane, Gabriel Jesus, Mueller, Hudson-Odoi, Vinicius Jr, Bale

Starting lineup:

----------------------------------MATS----------------------------------
Klostermann-------Varane----------------Umtiti-----------Marcelo
----------------------------------Witsel----------------------------------
------------------------Kroos--------------Goetze-----------------------
---------------------------------Goretzka--------------------------------
--------------------------Kane-----------Bale----------------------------

Bench: Maignan, Stones, Ballo-Toure, Maier, Hudson-Odoi, Vinicius Jr, Gabriel Jesus

Reserves: Mbabu, Badiashile, Mueller

I think I'd prescribe a 4-3-3 here as well. I'd sit one of Goetze or Goretzka and you could put in Mueller, Hudson-Odoi, Vinicius Jr or Jesus. Whoever you choose, and I think this means you don't go with Vinicius Jr, I'd put Bale on the left.

Ronaldo Cavani
Fekir
Pogba Modric
Brozovic
Alba Boateng Pique Carvajal
Handanovic

Onana, Odriozola, Tierney, Manolas, Upamecano, Carvalho, Barella, Tielemans, Coutinho, Malcom, Aubameyang​

Again with the diamond, though for you I think it works much better. Your fullbacks will provide better width than those of other sides with this formation as well. Still I think you're missing some width in the long run and if your side is relying on the fullbacks for depth that leaves your CBs a bit vulnerable considering who they are. Either way I'd consider starting Upamecano with Pique. Ovearll though it's kind of funny because you quietly picked a good team.

Mbappe - Firmino - Son

Thomas - Allan
Pjanic

Alaba - Romagnoli - Skriniar - Cancelo

Szczesny

Donnarumma
Gnabry
Aouar
Wijnaldum
Tonali
Milik
T. Hazard
de Vrij
Elvedi
Mukiele
Roussillon
Love my front three, love my backline, love my bench (how was Gnabry available at round #13?). Tons of energy. I have a lot of bright, young players all around.

Admittedly my midfield isn't the flashiest, I know. I saved it for rather late. I've kind of picked a deeper playmaker and paired him with two high energy players that don't have too much offensive impact, but generally do very well in midfield matchups because of their defense and ability to drive through lines. Firmino also makes my midfield matchups more favorable.

My elite fullbacks will cover the offensive creativity that my midfield lacks in the final third. And besides, my wingers are fantastic at creating goals by themselves.

My first take is that your team needs a trade. I think you could use some wide players and instead of Firmino you might have picked a wide player since you already had Mbappe'. I'd also consider starting Aouar considering who you have in midfield. Question is who do you drop? I'm torn between Partey and Pjanic, but I'm not a fan of the latter who I think is overrated. Generally though I think your formation makes sense with what you've got.

Neymar/Bamba-Lewandowski/Dembele-Lemar/Chukwueze
Thiago/Golovin-SMS/Winks-Tolisso/Maddison
Mendy/Telles-Silva/Lindelof-Marquinhos/Kamara-Walker/Conti
De Gea/Henderson

You've got some serious talent here with Neymar, Lewandowski, Thiago and Marquinhos. There's more than than with guys like Mendy, Silva and De Gea, but you've got some injuries, age and form to consider with them. Like I said earlier, I'd have taken your Mendy over mine, but I think the injuries need to be taken into serious account at this stage. And I took Conti in the past too, but he's hardly played since. You've got some good players for the future as well. I think I'd consider a double pivot were I you and I'd have tried to get a better option for your right wing.

Eden Hazard (C) - Timo Werner - Marco Reus
David Silva - Adrien Rabiot
Saul Niguez
Lucas Digne - Tobias Alderweireld - Matthijs de Ligt - Djibril Sidibe
Thibaut Courtois

Julian Brandt, Donny van de Beek, Romelu Lukaku, Presnel Kimpembe, Goncalo Guedes, Andreas Christensen, Fernandinho, Mikel Oyarzabal, Leo Dubois, Ben Chilwell, Alphonse Areola
ATTACK:

Loads of goals from this trio. Hazard and Reus both play functionally as inside forwards, looking to penetrate defenses through dribbling, while Werner's pace will get him in behind back lines for either inside forward to spring him. Werner is young and already a 20 goal-a-season striker, while Hazard and Reus can both easily contribute double digits.

Coming off the bench, Lukaku can bully defenses (once I have him on a training regimen to get him back in shape) and has proven chemistry with Hazard, while also providing something different to Werner in build-up. His hold-up work can free Hazard and Reus to get in behind. Guedes and Oyarzabal also offer creativity on the wings coming off the bench.

MIDFIELD:

Three top-class CMs, all of whom can pick apart defenses with passing, resist pressing with ball retention, and win possession through smart positioning and rough tackling. No other midfield in this competition would be able to win a battle in the centre of the park against this one.

Coming off the bench, substitute midfielders offer different tactical approaches. Julian Brandt in for David Silva allows the team to switch from a 4-3-3 to a 4-2-3-1, in which Brandt, Reus, and Hazard play as a free roaming attacking midfield. Fernandinho offers strong defensive play and chemistry with Silva. van de Beek brings goals from midfield if we're chasing a match.

DEFENSE:

The centre-back duo of Alderweireld and de Ligt keeps things under control at the back. The Ajax connection makes Toby a good mentor to help de Ligt fulfill his potential, so that the two of them can boss things defensively. Both also play the ball spectacularly well. On the flanks, Digne and Sidibe both bring great attacking flair, perfect to complement the wingers who will look to play inside - Hazard and Reus cut in while Digne and Sidibe provide the width through running, interplay, and stellar crossing.

Off the bench, both Kimpembe and Christensen can do a job at CB, while Dubois and Chilwell offer good alternatives at the full back slots.

KEEPER:

Courtois remains one of the best keepers in the world, as a stopper, distributor, and controller of the penalty area. Areola is a strong back-up.

Overall, this team will dominate the ball. Starting from the back, possession will flow through the CBs into the midfield, whose interplay will keep control of the park. Hazard and Reus both bring penetrating runs and clever interchange to either spring Werner or finish the job themselves, while the full-backs bomb forward for support. The best defense is an offense that doesn't lose the ball. When we're not in possession, Reus and Werner can lead an advanced press while Saul and Rabiot chip away at opposing midfielders. At the back, I have one of the best centre back combos here, and one that will only get better.

For me it's less about your team and more about the picks you made. You started out really well, but then sort of lost me with the Reus and Werner picks which I think could have waited or been better. Perhaps Pepe or Benzema would have been better options. Of course people tell me that about Felix and whoever else and I disagree with them so take it for it's worth. You've got quite the collection of midfield talent that I wonder if you might have traded some of it to improve elsewhere and considering who your midfielders are I could see a double pivot with Van de Beek in front of them.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Can't believe Blind wasn't picked after the year he just had. Just further states how ridiculously underrated he is.

Venkman

Jun 28, 2007
England
I'll comment on everyone's teams a bit here based on what's been posted not that anyone cares. All of this is constructive.

Again with the diamond, though for you I think it works much better. Your fullbacks will provide better width than those of other sides with this formation as well. Still I think you're missing some width in the long run and if your side is relying on the fullbacks for depth that leaves your CBs a bit vulnerable considering who they are. Either way I'd consider starting Upamecano with Pique. Ovearll though it's kind of funny because you quietly picked a good team.

Thanks. I went with the diamond pretty early, when I drafted Cavani in the 3rd round. I did have Upamecano penciled in to start with Pique but then Boateng was still available quite late on.

Could be wrong but don't think everyone took 2 GKs. 23 were picked if I can count.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Yeah that would be fun. Even though i dont participate. I enjoy it throughly from a far. Wouldnt mind even jumping on if theres not enough players
Depending on the interest we might even want to do a league specific one. Maybe top 5 leagues and then maybe a misc one that includes the other leagues, so 6 drafts in total just to pass more time because I got a feeling that a lot of us are going to be inside for another month or more.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Depending on the interest we might even want to do a league specific one. Maybe top 5 leagues and then maybe a misc one that includes the other leagues, so 6 drafts in total just to pass more time because I got a feeling that a lot of us are going to be inside for another month or more.
Sadly I heard maybe until fall... but yeah im down to do the best league in the world. Argentina.

Reactions: Gecklund

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad