HFBoards' 2018 Fantasy Football Draft Discussion Thread

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Just curious, does one get an alert for being tagged if it wasn't in the original post, but edited into it later?

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Hasn't been online in nearly two days it seems like. Not sure if he knows that we let him join. I have PM'ed him.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Mbappe is a good pick. He's 17. He's twice french champion with two different teams. He's CL semi finalist. He's 8th in the last Ballon d'Or voting. He's voted best young player in this WC and was likely in contention for MVP. He scored 4 goals in his first WC, not playing striker. He also obtained penalties and put his teammates on easy chances they missed (Giroud many times, Pavard, etc....). He scored in a WC final.
More than his already impressive achievements, he brings an element few players can bring : explosive speed WITH delicious technique. And a fearless character.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
I see why somebody would select him at #3 but I would have got at least CR before him, anyways, you cannot go wrong with him forward.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Mbappe is not currently a top 10 player but he's definitely got the potential to join the top echelon sooner than later. Not so much a bad pick as I just think there are a good number of unpicked players that are better, with good years left and who have more influence. Not taking into account those who have already been picked who are all better minus SMS.

But I can see some people valuing him highly. Not sure that team accomplishments are really the way to go since he's never been the best or most influential player on those teams, imo.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
@SJSharks39 you are up if he hasn't picked before 11:50 EST.
I was excited and thought I was up. I have my pick ready and it will be made within an hour of when I’m up probably. I work tonight but should be off by 12 EST or so. If someone wants to take a list for me thought I’d be willing to do that

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Didn't I pick Mbappe last two years ago?

Yep.

The thing about SMS is he was never making it past my pick I traded for. I did think he would be there as well. As soon as he transfers it won't look goofy for him to be in the first round, but I'm still surprised he was picked there.

Sometimes when you see a young player you just know how good they're going to be.

My top five was Messi, Neymar, Mbappe, Salah, Ronaldo. In that order. Those five are just different class IMO and with the exception of Ronaldo and Messi they're not over 30. And with Mbappe you know he's going to get even better than he is by this time next year.

Mbappe is not currently a top 10 player but he's definitely got the potential to join the top echelon sooner than later. Not so much a bad pick as I just think there are a good number of unpicked players that are better, with good years left and who have more influence. Not taking into account those who have already been picked who are all better minus SMS.

But I can see some people valuing him highly. Not sure that team accomplishments are really the way to go since he's never been the best or most influential player on those teams, imo.

He was the best player on Monaco last year IMO.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I'd like to see the top 10 players better than Mbappe. In a few days since we don't want to disrupt this draft.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I'd like to see the top 10 players better than Mbappe. In a few days since we don't want to disrupt this draft.
No problem. It's no slight against Mbappe either but Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar, Salah, de Bruyne and Modric already make up 6. There are at least 4 more but a lot of it is obviously subjective.

Mbappe is a bit overrated because of his age. There are a lot of players that had way better seasons than him this year for example and last year.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

Yeah I don’t think I can name 4 or 5 better attacker’s than Mbappé. Players overall gets a little trickier I think, but he’s definitely getting close to top 10 territory if not already there.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
No problem. It's no slight against Mbappe either but Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar, Salah, de Bruyne and Modric already make up 6. There are at least 4 more but a lot of it is obviously subjective.

Mbappe is a bit overrated because of his age. There are a lot of players that had way better seasons than him this year for example and last year.

He's not overrated, any player that age is just going to get even better. There were three prospects this good in the last 15 years, they were Messi, Neymar, and Ronaldo.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
He's not overrated, any player that age is just going to get even better. There were three prospects this good in the last 15 years, they were Messi, Neymar, and Ronaldo.
Well I mean he is overrated in how some people view him already. Yea he's gonna get better and yea he has an incredibly unique blend of athleticism and skill but people talk about him like he's already R9. He's not there yet, but like said above people talk like he is already a top 5 attacker when he's overshadowed by multiple attackers on his own team still!

Just put his season in perspective. He had a great season for a 19 year old, but hardly even a top 10 season in the world and that's just speaking offensively. If he's taken this early it's for what he can become not for what he already is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad