HFBoards' 2018 Fantasy Football Draft Discussion Thread

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
START TIME: Ideally Monday July 16th 2018 at 12PM EST.

Last years draft took 35 days. That would put us right about at the start of the season, so we gotta get this draft started soon.

PARTICIPANTS: I think the fairest way to do this is to give all 18 from last year the opportunity to claim a spot this year. To claim a spot, make a note in this thread that you are participating. If they don't claim their spot within 12 hours before the start of the draft, alternates will come into play. If you didn't participate last year but would like to participate this year, please state so in the thread. You will be named to the alternate list. First come, first serve.

I am tagging everyone who participated last year. I'm sorry if these next three days are the busiest of your life and you can't check the website, but we really gotta start soon. So if you miss out, my apologies.

18 from last year:

@les Habs
@Live in the Now
@Pavel Buchnevich
@VEGASKING
@Wee Baby Seamus
@Savant
@Theon
@Big Kahuna
@S E P H
@Moncherry
@SJSharks39
@Evilo
@YNWA14
@Venkman
@MJG
@Halladay
@Yoshidas Island
@cgf

Confirmed for this year:

@Live in the Now
@Evilo
@Big Kahuna
@YNWA14
@Wee Baby Seamus
@Savant
@VEGASKING
@Halladay
@S E P H
@les Habs
@cgf
@Venkman
@Theon
@Pavel Buchnevich
@SJSharks39
@Vasilevskiy
@robertmac43
@The Abusement Park

RULES copied from last year:

-Snake draft. 22 rounds. So you'll have essentially two players per position if you choose. NOTE, you should have a minimum of two goalkeepers.

-We won't be drafting managers. You're the manager, so your formation, tactics, etc.

-No judges as of yet. I'd be open to it to an extent, but it's not necessary. That said I would say that we should focus on a building a team to both be competitive now and in the future. I guess think of it as we're all new franchises. I would consider things like your players fitting your formation/tactics, having a balanced squad, having players who can take freekicks, penalties, corners, etc. You should also identify a captain and a vice-captain.

-Minimum of 2 GKs per team.

-Trades are allowed. One for one trades only though. So a few examples:

---One pick for one pick.
---One pick for one player.
---One player for one player.
---Two picks for one player and one pick.
---One pick and two players for two picks and one player.

Etc, etc. I think that illustrates the point.

ALSO, when you agree to a trade one of you needs to post the deal and the other needs to quote that post and write "Agreed." Until the post is quoted and agreed to the trade has not occurred, but when that happens it's done.

-12 hours between picks. If you miss a pick, 10 hours from then on, 8 hours after a second missed pick. If you miss three picks your place in the draft will be subject to review, IE you may be dropped from the draft. Either way please use another member as a proxy if you can't make a pick and if something comes us just PM me. Also, please try your best to keep the draft moving along as quickly as possible. After you make a pick you'll need to make sure you PM the next guy on the list. If their PM box is full, post in the discussion thread that it's their turn. Also, please make sure you check to see if it's your turn to pick just to be sure.

-NO DISCUSSION, hints or otherwise, about undrafted players please.

-The Picks thread is for PICKS ONLY, while the Discussion thread is for everything else.

DRAFT ORDER: If someone can volunteer to run the picks thread, that would be appreciated. We'll let them randomize the order once the participants are finalized on Monday July 17th at 12AM EST. Be sure to check that first day to know where in the order you will be picking, so we don't have issues with that.

SUGGESTIONS: If you have any suggestions now or as the draft goes along for anything we can do differently with this year's draft, speak up. All suggestions are welcome. I would suggest that if we are going to implement any rule changes, you most get over 50% of the 18 participants, so that would be 10 of 18 to support the measure you would like to implement. If needed, we can take votes on that.

Last edited:
Reactions: YNWA14

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
If a spot opens up I’d be interested in joining. I’m also 100% up for being a judge if that’s what people wanna do.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Also I don't mind running the draft pick randomization, or the draft pick thread if needed. As long as people are willing to help me out a little.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Suggestions:
Maybe less than 18 people wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

I think 12 hours between picks is too much. 10 is better.

Also no spinning trades. Once you trade up and its approved you have to pick. You dont get a new timer.

Last edited:
Reactions: YNWA14

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Suggestions:
Maybe less than 18 people wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

I think 12 hours between picks is too much. 8 hours. Maybe 10 is better.

Also no spinning trades. Once you trade up and its approved you have to pick. You dont get a new timer.

Absolutely not 8 hours.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
There should be no limit on participants and I don't know why were just throwing last year's list in the mix. As we've seen in the past previous participation is not indicative of current participation. It will also be an eight hour time limit and there should be none of this " well I'm just gonna give him a little bit more time" nonsense. Finally all I'll say is it amazes me how all of you like to come back for more punishment year after year, but so be it.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'm in as my sole purpose was destined to wreck you guys in online football drafting.

And I got some good news and it is not the Dacia Sandero....I have hired my Bosnian friend @Edo as my assistant manager.

Please, your sole purpose is to show people how much better I am at picking young talent & formulating a coherent team.

Sorta how LH's sole purpose is to show people how having Messi alone doesn't make up for my far superior team building.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
And I'll just add that I'm open to the idea of having two separate draft groups depending on how many participants we get. I think it something that we should discuss as a group if people are interested. Obviously the benefit is the draft goes much faster and we have stronger looking teams when it's all said and done (OK, not @S E P H ). However there are other things to consider that might reflect negatively on the other draft because they'll be moving at different time frames.

Reactions: cgf

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Please, your sole purpose is to show people how much better I am at picking young talent & formulating a coherent team.

Sorta how LH's sole purpose is to show people how having Messi alone doesn't make up for my far superior team building.
Les Habs by fluke alone somehow got Ronaldo and Messi or was it Messi and Neymar...whatever combo it was it won't be happening again. I actually don't even remember your team except you stole one player for me which I will admit, pissed me off a bit. Everything else was just too insignificant for my wonderful brain to remember.

And I'll just add that I'm open to the idea of having two separate draft groups depending on how many participants we get. I think it something that we should discuss as a group if people are interested. Obviously the benefit is the draft goes much faster and we have stronger looking teams when it's all said and done (OK, not @S E P H ). However there are other things to consider that might reflect negatively on the other draft because they'll be moving at different time frames.
You meaning expanding the league to 20 teams and then dividing them off into divisions or conferences?

I actually got a sick idea which includes @Evilo's thoughts about keeping the draft to certain leagues....what if....we expand the draft to 20 participants or even up to 27 posters. We then split the posters via randomization or by freedom (choice) alone to three different conferences each with 9 posters in them (FYI: using 27 as the set bar). In each different conference will only allows picks to be made for certain European leagues. For example....

Conference/Division #1: Would only be able to pick players from France and Germany (with other random countries)
Conference/Division #2: Would only be able to pick players from England and Italy (with other random countries)
Conference/Division #3: Would only be able to pick players from Spain and Portugal (with other random countries)

It would be any single player that plays in one of those domestic leagues regardless of country. What I mean by this is that the teams in Division #3 wouldn't be allowed to pick Harry Kane because he would only be eligible to the teams in Division #2. I get that this would make it a tad too complicated, but wanted to know some thoughts on this idea?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad