HFBoards' 2018 Fantasy Football Draft Discussion Thread

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
It only took me 5 minutes to make a list with like 3 players at each position I was interested in. :o

Though I've been pretty lucky in getting my top pick at each spot so far, though missing out on Modric and Kante. :(

This round has been a really strong round in terms of quality of picks though. Besides Lukaku and Hernandez every pick since Bale is one I like.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
It only took me 5 minutes to make a list with like 3 players at each position I was interested in. :eek:

Though I've been pretty lucky in getting my top pick at each spot so far, though missing out on Modric and Kante. :(

This round has been a really strong round in terms of quality of picks though. Besides Lukaku and Hernandez every pick since Bale is one I like.
Putting aside personal bias to take Lukaku was difficult. In the past I've probably taken inferior players because I like them better personally. If he has a good season go me. If he is bad, Oh well. But again I've only got two players so far, and we know that they can function together in reality KDB and Lukaku are both coming off their best PL seasons and both of them should have been in the best XI at the world cup. That's reality.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Wow, f*** you SJS. And here I thought we were friends...

Y'all were supposed to let me steal Timo a few rounds from now because he didn't score at the WC.

What an ***hole.

Reactions: Gecklund

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
cgf you should be happy; he's a massive reach there. He looked lost at the WC.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Wow, f*** you SJS. And here I thought we were friends...

Y'all were supposed to let me steal Timo a few rounds from now because he didn't score at the WC.

What an ***hole.
He’s the best striker left in my opinion and for my team. It was either him or another German striker that isn’t physically gifted enough.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
He’s the best striker left in my opinion and for my team. It was either him or another German striker that isn’t physically gifted enough.

He's a great pick...even if our WC would've gone extremely differently had he taken either of those two chances he had early on against Mexico -- when he latched onto through-balls that a human shouldn't have been able to catch up with -- and if he didn't go on to beat himself up for "costing germany a win" in the next matches. But even at this WC he showed some of what makes him so deadly, despite Jogi stupidly only letting him drift into the channels -- like Klose used to be allowed to do all the time -- when the big fella would come on.

Timo was absolutely clinical before his concussion this year; on top of that high skill level & unreal pace / athleticism...Werner roasts absolutely everyone in sprints during NT camps & practices. Even though he still hasn't quite hit the form he was in before that weird night against Besiktas, he's still been a rich man's Gabriel Jesus this season.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
He's a great pick...even if our WC would've gone extremely differently had he taken either of those two chances he had early on against Mexico -- when he latched onto through-balls that a human shouldn't have been able to catch up with -- and if he didn't go on to beat himself up for "costing germany a win" in the next matches. But even at this WC he showed some of what makes him so deadly, despite Jogi stupidly only letting him drift into the channels -- like Klose used to be allowed to do all the time -- when Gomez would come on.

Timo was absolutely clinical before his concussion this year; on top of that high skill level & unreal pace / athleticism...Werner roasts absolutely everyone in sprints during NT camps & practices. Even though he still hasn't quite hit the form he was in before that weird night against Besiktas, he's still been a rich man's Gabriel Jesus this season.
Yep I agree. Pogba feeding Werner through balls sounds like a dream come true.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
cgf you should be happy; he's a massive reach there. He looked lost at the WC.

He looked like a kid who blamed himself for the mexico debacle because he wasted two chances that he usually scores on in the first 7 minutes of that match :dunno:

...and Jogi limiting him to running in behind the D until the big fella would come on, didn't help at all. Timo needs to not just be used to run in behind, he needs to drift into the channels to drag defenders out of shape, he needs to be able to pick the ball up on the wing & run at guys, or to play quick 1-2s from the wing. But no, Jogi just had to have him stay centrally, just runing in behind.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I dunno sounds like a lot of excuses. He didn't impress me a lot this season at all when I saw them play. He looked like a kid with potential but nothing more to me. The World Cup only furthered that impression.

The tools can all be there, but we've seen that with many players who haven't progressed to the next stage over the years. I could name a number of players that people **** on regularly who have incredible feats in training. But you have to perform, and until he is performing at that level, and consistently, he's definitely not a top echelon striker.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Meh, the key in drafts like these is to not get drawn into the runs on a specific position. Identify your needs and pick the best player available.

Or not, do what you gotta do homie.

Also I want to apologize to SJS I wasn't trying to **** on your picks specifically or anything like that, and ultimately it's the team that you put together that matters (and whether or not you're happy with it).

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I dunno sounds like a lot of excuses. He didn't impress me a lot this season at all when I saw them play. He looked like a kid with potential but nothing more to me. The World Cup only furthered that impression.

The tools can all be there, but we've seen that with many players who haven't progressed to the next stage over the years. I could name a number of players that people **** on regularly who have incredible feats in training. But you have to perform, and until he is performing at that level, and consistently, he's definitely not a top echelon striker.
Well I guess we will have to agree to disagree. While I don’t think he’s a top striker yet I fully believe he can be. I know there’s a few good ones left but none of them fit my team like Werner does.

Reactions: YNWA14

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
You lot scared me there with your run on CBs, but at least you had the decency to leave me my choice of the two guys I wanted. Going with Koulibaly this time.

Let's see if you leave me my second choice as well :naughty:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

I really hope that you continue putting so much weight in performances at this World Cup when you make your selections :sarcasm:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I really hope that you continue putting so much weight in performances at this World Cup when you make your selections :sarcasm:
Well, if my 3 selections so far give any indication I haven't put much weight in the World Cup performances now have I? :P

Ad

Upcoming events

• Monza vs Lazio
    Monza vs Lazio
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $245.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • FC Köln vs Freiburg
    FC Köln vs Freiburg
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $370.00